Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! I am new to the forum, and to riding!

I will be purchasing my CBR250R on Monday! I live in North Texas and was wondering what prices some of you have been getting from dealers in this area. The two that are closest to me are Al Lambs, and Honda Suzuki North. Honda North is easiest for me to get to, and they quoted me $5366 OTD (No ABS). Is this to much? What have some of you paid in this area?

I am a new rider, just recently passed a Basic Motorcycle course from MTC, and got my license last week. I want to go in knowing what I am paying for and why, and to have them take any charges off that aren't necessary. I do not want to get ripped off on my first bike. I have heard so many good things about the 250!

Thanks! =)

·
Registered
188 Posts
MSRP OTD or leave. Shop around. Freight and setup fees are bogus. Tax and title rates are on the internet somewhere (they vary by state), so you know what to expect. I live in Illinois, but I'm from San Antonio ;)

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am in the North Texas area as well, and that is a normal, high dealer price. They know that you are a new, uneducated rider, and are trying to take advantage of you. You shouldn't have to pay much more than 4500 OTD. I hate these North Texas Dealerships, they really are stealerships...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Hi! I am new to the forum, and to riding!

I will be purchasing my CBR250R on Monday! I live in North Texas and was wondering what prices some of you have been getting from dealers in this area. The two that are closest to me are Al Lambs, and Honda Suzuki North. Honda North is easiest for me to get to, and they quoted me $5366 OTD (No ABS). Is this to much? What have some of you paid in this area?

I am a new rider, just recently passed a Basic Motorcycle course from MTC, and got my license last week. I want to go in knowing what I am paying for and why, and to have them take any charges off that aren't necessary. I do not want to get ripped off on my first bike. I have heard so many good things about the 250!

Thanks! =)
1000 bucks too much. I'd call around a 100 radius.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Save $ and look for a 2011 leftover model. I paid $4500 OTD for a 2011 ABS model, although I'm in Ohio. Get the ABS model, you will get a nice discount on your insurance at Progressive Ins. I pay $110 a yr with a $250 ded but I have a clean record and my bike is paid for.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I didn't like Al Lambs when I went shopping around for mine. They quoted me something around 5,700 for a 2011 floor model with a seat cowl and wouldn't budge. You're going to have to expand your search radius a bit to get a much better deal. Check Motorcycles - Scooters, Dirt Bikes, Choppers, Sport Bikes, and Other Motorcycles for Sale - Cycle Trader.com . The last time I checked a week or so ago there were a couple 2011s listed in Allen and Rockwall.

Only stick it out for an ABS if that's really what you want, or for the potential resale value down the road. I get a whole 4$/year discount if I put my bike has ABS so spending ~400-500 more for ABS to save 4$ a year isn't really worth it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Can't speak for north Texas... I paid $4,700 OTD (non-ABS). Thought that was a fair price. (Dealer deserves to make a couple of bucks, without gouging)...

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I didn't like Al Lambs when I went shopping around for mine. They quoted me something around 5,700 for a 2011 floor model with a seat cowl and wouldn't budge. You're going to have to expand your search radius a bit to get a much better deal. Check Motorcycles - Scooters, Dirt Bikes, Choppers, Sport Bikes, and Other Motorcycles for Sale - Cycle Trader.com . The last time I checked a week or so ago there were a couple 2011s listed in Allen and Rockwall.

Only stick it out for an ABS if that's really what you want, or for the potential resale value down the road. I get a whole 4$/year discount if I put my bike has ABS so spending ~400-500 more for ABS to save 4$ a year isn't really worth it.
I haven't gotten a quote from Al Lambs, mostly because their MSRP was higher. I got the 5366 OTD quote from Honda Suzuki North (In farmers branch) But they told me the MSRP was 3,999? Where the heck is all the fees coming from?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought my 2012 with ABS for $4283 at Southern Honda Powersports. I was visiting family in San Antonio and saw the same model at Alamo Cycle Plex. I've never done business with them personally, but I've had several friends buy from them over the years with only positive reviews. I asked about OTD price and the salesman said $4599. If I still lived there, that's where I would have bought it.

The most effective bargaining tool you have is that you are always free to get up and walk out if you're not happy with the deal on the table. Don't go into the store desperate to buy, they can smell it on you. Be willing to spend some time to save money. I finally got the finance offer that I wanted only after I was halfway to the door.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I haven't gotten a quote from Al Lambs, mostly because their MSRP was higher. I got the 5366 OTD quote from Honda Suzuki North (In farmers branch) But they told me the MSRP was 3,999? Where the heck is all the fees coming from?
That is the MSRP on a 2011 (4,099 for the 2012), and then you add in every single fee they can think of to the top of that. That's tag, title, license, freight and prep. Some have a document fee for "preparing the paperwork". There shouldn't be any reason you should pay for the freight+prep. They have to put the bike together to sell it anyway, so why should you pay for something they were going to have to do already?

Stick it out to get something near MSRP. The problem with the pricing is everyone knows this is a hot little bike, and someone's desperate enough to pay the 1.5-2k markup on the bike just to have it.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Out the door price always sounds too high until you really add up what you are paying for. Tax is 8% where I live. That is $350 right there. Titles are another money maker for the State. Tags can be $60 if you have nothing to transfer. Always have the salesman or F and I guy show you an itemized break down of what you are paying for. This is a hot selling bike and it is the peak of the season and the dealerships don't make much on the CBR250R compared to a 600 so you should expect to pay $2-300 set up fee if you want the bike. They might as well just call this a profit fee but that doesn't sound very nice. Once they itemize everything it is usually cut and dry. $300 bump on the sticker price and an extra $50 for saving you a trip to the DMV which is worth it if you are financing as this allows the tax, tags, and title fees to all go right into the loan. Ride it away and don't pay a penny for 40 days.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Yeah, I figured the Rockwall Honda dealer would be cheaper, they seemed more sensible from looking at their website prices on their used inventory. Also note that if you do decide to wait it out and buy used, you're still going to have to pay a tax of 6.25% of whatever the state's SPV or whatever you bought it for, whichever is higher. So if you score a 3k bike used, it'll be roughly 200ish in tax.

·
Registered
628 Posts
$4,650 OTD(non abs) here in Houston, TX

1 - 17 of 17 Posts