Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to remove the stock muffler/exhaust, and I'm having a huge problem with one of the bolts near the rear brake.

My 19.95 walmart socket wrench bit broke when I tried to take the bolt off by hand. Can anyone tell me what tool I need to remove this bolt?

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Get a better socket and wrench and try again. It is a bolt and nut against a rubber piece so the tension shouldn't be that high. If you have difficulty with it again you might need to cut it off.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Pardon me if I'm stating the obvious, but you might have it a bit easier spraying WD40 on the thread and leaving it overnight to soak in. Tapping the bolt gently with a hammer and punch can also help loosen it a bit to the point you can turn the spanner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think any reply will be a good one. I'll drop by home depot and buy a fatter better socket, and I'll also try throwing some WD40 on there too.

Thanks for the help guys!

·
Registered
96 Posts
If you are putting on a slip-on this might help:

I tried WD40 and no luck. There is a gasket under the mounting point for the muffler to the header pipe (under the bolt you are having issues with). What I ended up doing is disconnecting the muffler from the rearset and working it back and forth (destroying the gasket) and using a little elbow grease until it came off.

My Yoshi didn't reuse the gasket so it wasn't an issue.

·
Registered
148 Posts
If you are putting on a slip-on this might help:

I tried WD40 and no luck. There is a gasket under the mounting point for the muffler to the header pipe (under the bolt you are having issues with). What I ended up doing is disconnecting the muffler from the rearset and working it back and forth (destroying the gasket) and using a little elbow grease until it came off.

My Yoshi didn't reuse the gasket so it wasn't an issue.
I had little trouble with the bolts, but ended up destroying the gasket when installing my M4. Also didn't need the gasket, so no worries, but it was kind of a pain.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guy. I got it working this morning before I left to work. I squirted in some wd40 overnight. In the morning, I wiggled the exhaust back and forth as I was pulling away. It finally removed as I fell backwards 2 ft in a three stooges like manner.

I was surprised how heavy the stock muffler is and was even more amazed by the low throaty growl that twin brothers exhaust had when just in idle. Took a 15 minute joyride around the neighborhood and probably woke up all the neighbors.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Anyone have a write up for the stock exhaust removal? I want to install a slip-on two bros tomorrow. I assume it's pretty self explanatory but I am just curious in advance.

Perhaps I will take a look in the manual to see if they mention it.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Anyone have a write up for the stock exhaust removal? I want to install a slip-on two bros tomorrow. I assume it's pretty self explanatory but I am just curious in advance.

I used a breaker bar with and extension piece and had 0 issues. breaker bar gives you more leverage

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
it should be a simple replacement..
i managed with stock toolkit tools
incl extra handle over for leverage,
but bbrm good tool advice best..

these things are designed and manufactured
to be an easy one for one replacement..
so long as you have a good tight fitting
tool for removing retaining nuts then
it should be a simple install..
start out with that idea..

the only difficulty was in removing stock
cannister from header pipe end..
its a good tight fit, which is a good thing,
but it needs a persistent effort to remove..
for a weak or injured person it might be
convenient to have a strong person
available to 'twist' it back and off..
[persistence tho, not just raw strength]

the snug fitting leo vince evoII went on
like a genuine honda part, as if it was
made for the bike [which it was :) ]

·
Registered
193 Posts

Not sure if the 2 Bros comes with anti seize in the kit, but you might want to have some handy for the exhaust clamp, hanger bolt and db killer insert to make things easier if you ever need to pull it off.

Removal of the stock is easy with good tools. I found that once everything was loose and the hanger bolt removed, rocking the exhaust clockwise/counterclockwise rotating on the manifold pipe and pulling helped to remove the exhaust.

When installing the Akra I used the clockwise/counterclockwise motion while pushing it on which seemed to help it to seat all the way onto the header and cut into the graphite seal. Just make sure it's lined up correctly and not off angle.

Also recheck your torque after you run her.

Have fun!

Reactions: Jme250RA
1 - 16 of 16 Posts