Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everyone,

I had wanted to wait till I had gotten my CBR250RA before starting to post on these forums but circumstances have forced me to get input from other CBR owners.

I had placed a down payment on a CBR mid-March and the dealer had stated that it would come in mid-April. That day has come and gone. I have called the dealer to inquire upon the status of the bike but the sales manager told me that he could not give me a date on when the bike gets here since "bikes get shipped in almost everyday."

With my call on last Friday, he told me that there was a red CBR250RA that had been sitting around unclaimed by its owner for a few weeks already and that he was willing to call the owner to see if he was willing to wait since I am willing and ready to pay and drive off. He tells me to call back a hour later. I do so and he tells me the other guy is willing to wait but the only problem is that this bike comes with sliders, xenon lights, and a Honda 1 year warranty package already on it which would cost me roughly $400 more dollars. I told him that I wanted the one that I ordered and he tells me that it can take up to a month more.

Is this normal practice for a dealer? In further investigation, I called Honda America with this issue and they told me that a bike that fit my model/color was shipped from Virginia on 4/20. The dealer is located in New York. Would travel and prep time still account for the dealer still waiting on my bike?

I apologize for the lengthy story but any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So what is your question?

I'd buy the one with sliders and Xenon. I wish I had that option at the time.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Ask when its going to be in and if they wont tell you get your money back. Dealers know when their expecting deliveries, bikes just dont show up unannouced out of the random.
I dont work for a dealer, but when we order a piece of equipment, its just a phone call away to find out were it is. And were order alot of stuff internationally.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Sorry if I was not clear. My question was whether it is standard practice for a dealer to not know when a bike is going to be in and whether I should be suspicious of anything they are doing.

This is my first time buying a bike and the only thing that worries me about getting my money back is that the fine print on my deposit receipt which says that it is non-refundable. In addition, the delivery date says due in on the contract while the mid-April was just a statement by the dealer.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Dealers are shiesty. You have to hustle them on the phone before even stepping foot in the stealership.

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
My dealer had a promised date, but told me it was not out of the question that Honda might not get it to him when promised. He also said that my deposit was fully refundable (and it was) In the end, Honda got it to him a week early and he got it to me a week early too.

So my take is that it could happen, but I don't like the way your dealer is handling it. If it were me, I'd tell him to take a hike and buy elsewhere. (But that's just me...)

·
Registered
501 Posts
Never trust anything that says non refundable, unless you can wait or loose your money. Sounds like the fine print got you waiting. Im sure it will show up eventually. Once we bought some equipment and they shipped it clear across the country the wrong way. LOL. Took an extra month to get.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
they get an invoice from Honda each week that tells them the estimated ship date for the bikes they have ordered and not yet recieved....my dealer told me to give it 2-3 days for the bike to arrive after shipping and 2 days for them to setup..in reality..bike took 2 days to arrive and setup was done by noon the next day.,ur dealer is either just lazy and doesnt want to look on the invoice..has given your bike to someone else (freind-family member?) and is lying to you...or is so stupid he really doesnt know when it will arrive ( not likely)..

last year..i ordered mine 1st of may..ship date was moved 3 times..finally got it the very end of july..i was about to get my deposit back too..glad i waited now tho

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all of the information so far. I can afford to wait a little longer but was just upset at the principle of what was done.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Thanks for all of the information so far. I can afford to wait a little longer but was just upset at the principle of what was done.
The ABS models are rare but you should call around. Maybe another dealer has one that is not spoken for. Find the nearest Powerhouse dealer. The get first dibs on whatever bikes they want. I had to go out of town 160 miles to get my CBR last July. My local dealer never got their first one until September.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I'm not sure if its the area i live in but i read about how so many people are having trouble getting this bike. Every single time i walk into my dealer there are at least 3 just sitting there looking lonely ready for an owner. I know when i got mine i had all 4 models to choose from at the time. All on the showroom floor.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I'm not sure if its the area i live in but i read about how so many people are having trouble getting this bike. Every single time i walk into my dealer there are at least 3 just sitting there looking lonely ready for an owner. I know when i got mine i had all 4 models to choose from at the time. All on the showroom floor.
Yeah. But not ABS.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
My dealer has a tri-colour ABS model. I asked them what OTD was and my mouth dropped(6 grand).

I smiled and left.:)

Of course I guess with 4599 MSRP and dealer fees, getting a new ABS for much less wouldn't be too easy.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There were Tri-colours with ABS left in nearby dealers but there were none in red with ABS. The going price for ABS around New York City has been roughly $5k.

I have no problem with waiting for a bike with the color I want, but it just feels odd when I can't get a specific time frame other than saying that something may take one month more.

Guess I should wait for a bike to be in stock before I put down money on it next time I decide to get one.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Original Poster..... Have you checked around the other dealers nearby to see what they have. You may have to drive a little further but maybe they are in stock or would be willing to work on price more.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have checked nearby dealers and this dealer had the best price. The other dealer did not have a red ABS in stock and another was quoting me for a much higher price.

The problem is that I have already placed a deposit on the bike.

Hopefully the dealer is just being a bit slow and did not sell my order to someone else.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I have checked nearby dealers and this dealer had the best price. The other dealer did not have a red ABS in stock and another was quoting me for a much higher price.

The problem is that I have already placed a deposit on the bike.

Hopefully the dealer is just being a bit slow and did not sell my order to someone else.
I'm sure they didn't sell your bike. It might be that pretty much all of the few ABS bikes that were built and sent to the US are Tri Color. I will ask my guys today. You should have no problem getting your deposit back. Riding season is finally on in the north east US and you are losing days. But it is nice to stick with your local dealer because where ever you buy, you become part of the family. I like the red paint on my bike but I would also choose ABS if I ever bought another one and if it had to be tri color I would just have the front fender painted blue to match.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts