Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
617 Posts
Voltage drops during the starts is indeed normal, but once running the voltage should stay above 14 volts. I doubt that fuses have anything to do with the alternator issue you describe, unless the wiring has been tampered with. If the voltage drops to battery level when you rev it the alternator / regulator is cutting out and faulty. This may well be under warranty, but I would still install a new and charged battery for the few dollars it will cost before spending money on repairs.
Good luck.
Rick

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
My bike is less than a year old. Would Honda cover this under warranty... especially since I added some aftermarket lighting?

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I asked the service Rep @ a local dealership today if the warranty would cover it and he said it should & he would do his best to cover everything under warranty. I'm dropping it off Thursday and probably picking it up Friday. I'll keep you up to date. In the meantime, I've been parking the bike on the other side of the complex so as to avoid pushing it uphill to clutch start it.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Took it to the shop & they said the system was charging fine & then load tested the battery & said it was bad. I rep mm aced the battery & installed a battery tender. Let's hope that solves it. Oh and they said that it wasnt covered under warranty since it was only the battery.

·
Registered
403 Posts
They didn't replace your battery? That's a load of crap! If you already hooked up your Tender, I'm sure by now you know how to read the lights. So is it charging up?

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
It's been several days since last ridden last friday. It started right up and it wasnt on the tender at all. Seems like it was the battery after all.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
It's been almost 2 months and I've had no problems since replacing the battery.

The stock battery lasted 7 months before giving me problems. I can think of 2 things that contributed to a bad battery. I ran the battery down once while testing the wiring on a fender eliminator & I had to charge it up using a battery tender. During that time, I had a short that I found & resolved after it wouldn't start with 3 hours of charging.

It was ok though until I shipped the bike and it remained in storage for about 2 weeks. I'm not sure if the movers hit my underglow button & left it on or what but from the time I received it, the battery wouldn't hold much charge.

I think the moral of the story is dont let your battery run down.

·
Registered
617 Posts
You are indeed correct about keeping the battery charged. You do not have to be
a fanatic about it , it can sit idle for some time if there is no outside drain, but starting batteries especially (as compared to deep cycle batteries) do not like to be drained, and if drained recharge as soon as possible because there will be permanent damage. Luckily new batteries can be relatively cheap. Amazon will sell you a new Chrome brand 7AH battery for about $30 shipped.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts