Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

41 - 55 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Just gonna fork over the $70 and buy it. Its too inconvenient to ask ppl to scan pages etc. plus, it really is something ppl should own. Unless they can afford the $350 service every other time. Lol. Which is def NOT me. ;)

·
Registered
181 Posts
My manual arrived last week. I bought one for my last Honda too. It's totally worth the money. Scanned copies are generally inconvenient when the work's being done and the one I've seen looks like crap and it's not all there. Having not to print pages or use a tablet or computer to view the manual is a big selling point for me.

I think if you really want to get to know your bike, you should just shell out the cash. And as far as the point that Honda should just include the service manual with the bike, I get it, but maybe Honda wants to avoid tempting mechanically disinclined owners from wrecking their bike and/or themselves.

I wonder if the people grabbing scanned copies own their own tools or know to use a torque wrench.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
I wonder if the people grabbing scanned copies own their own tools or know to use a torque wrench.
If they do, very likely they are the really cheap, low quality tools, probably made in Bangladesh. Great for rounding off all sorts of fasteners, stripping threads, over torquing critical bolts, and generally making a mess of the motorcycle.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Not gonna lie. I've bought a few cheap tools from Harbor Freight. Lol. I actually bought a rear stand, bike lift, floor jack, and some jack stands tonight. Didn't want to have to keep going to friends houses to do my oil etc. hubs needed a lift for his cruiser bc he can't use a swing arm stand due to his pipes. Most girls want more clothes. I want more tools. It sucks not having them readily available like at my Dads house. And good tools are NOT cheap. Bleh. Growing pains.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
When I started building my set of tools, more than a few moons ago, I decided to go with Snap On. Once I got over the sticker shock, I figured out that I didn't need to buy complete metric wrench sets or sockets, as the sets had sizes that I knew I would never use. So I bought the individual pieces, one or two at a time, until I eventually had the tools I wanted. I can honestly say that I have never had any of my Snap On stuff fail, or mess up any nuts or bolts that I've used them on. It is true what they say... "You only have to buy them once".

·
Registered
501 Posts
I've always just bitten the bullet and bought the official factory service manual for every bike I've owned in the last 28 years. I really miss the ones from the '80's, the pages of which came loose and punched. You can insert each page into it's own clear protective sleeve, then put them in a 3-ring binder. Takes a little more space, but the pages open and lay flat when you are working, and at the end of the job, any grease just wipes right off. Sadly, Honda no longer offers service manuals in this format. Actually makes a good argument for clear scanned copies.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I guess I'm old fashioned. I can NOT afford Snap-On. I know a lot of techs that are making HUGE payments for their tools etc. I've always just stuck to Craftsman. My Dad bought their tools etc. I really would like a set of GearWrenches but **** if they're not expensive. I could settle for a cheaper brand though. Those are insanely convenient.

·
Banned
834 Posts
my $15.99 Harbor Freight torque wrench works just fine thank you. I can and will do everything except mess with the valves. Although I did adjust the valves on my last scooter I'm not
messing with them on this bike.

·
Super Moderator
6,924 Posts
I guess I'm old fashioned. I can NOT afford Snap-On. I know a lot of techs that are making HUGE payments for their tools etc. I've always just stuck to Craftsman. My Dad bought their tools etc. I really would like a set of GearWrenches but **** if they're not expensive. I could settle for a cheaper brand though. Those are insanely convenient.
Nothing wrong with Craftsman tools, they are far better than a lot of the cheap tools out there. I have some of the older Craftsman stuff, back when they had "Dropped Forged In The USA" on every hand tool. I'll bet your Dad has those too.

I worked with guys who made those weekly $100.00 to $200.00 payments to the Snap On dealer, and always seemed to carry an outstanding balance of $3000.00, or more. Some of the auto tech's I know have a couple roller cabinets filled to the brim with Snap On stuff, worth more than $15,000.00. I think my Snap On stuff is maybe worth $4000.00, which I bought over a 3 year period, so it didn't hurt the wallet to badly. Still, a lot of $$$.

Buy the best you can afford. Quality tools can mean the difference between a job being a pleasant experience, or a nightmare

·
Registered
26 Posts
Helm only has the RA version for antilock brakes....I have the CBR250R so I need and want the service manual for the R (non ABS) version for for obvious reasons...The brake cylinders will be different....some electronics,ect..ect.. all will be different...i dont want a $70 manual thats not even for my model bike or cant tell me how to work on the braking system...anyone seen the other version anywhere?
Send me an email I will give you a soft copy

41 - 55 of 55 Posts