Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched the forums and the "conversions" I saw were a bit disappointing. It seems a lot of people just want the ricer blue or purple and think blinding oncoming traffic is OK because "they see you." How they see you when they're blind confuses me, but even if it did improve your own visibility -- I'm not out to negatively effect someone else's.

What I'm looking for is a real conversion. One that utilizes a projector that properly diffuses the beam. One using a 4300-6000k bulb that focuses on producing lumens and not pretty colors.

Here's an example of a quality HID setup. OEM HIDs from my current daily driver, a Honda S2000:

Here's an example of a poor HID setup. This is from someone else's S2000 that decided to get a ricer aftermarket headlight housing:

See the difference between the light spread?

I travel a lot of country road and will soon frequent Natchez Trace on the CBR250R. There are animals to contend with, and while the CBR has a pretty good headlight, it's nothing compared to the distance I can see animal-eyes with my S2000...

I'm curious if maybe HIDs from another motorcycle can be retrofitted. Yes, it will most likely require cutting, but the effort would be worth the reward, assuming the dimensions aren't too far off.

Anyone have suggestions on what bikes do have HIDs that we could possibly salvage, or can anyone point to a proper HID conversion for the bike?

·
Registered
15 Posts
hid's you can get for this bike its a h4 bulb. I think if your going for a nice cut off line you want projectors, those require retrofitting.

·
Registered
15 Posts
also im pretty sure the s2000 has a projector. it seems the second picture the person is running hid on the highbeams. only low beams have a projector on the s2000.
the projector is really what is giving the clean cut off line and perfectly spread light.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think because we have one bulb on the bike it shouldnt be too bad just running a hid kit without retro-fitting a projector

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure you understand what I'm looking for. I'm looking for a proper retrofit, which would include the projector. I highly doubt any vehicle comes from the factory without a projector, for a very good reason. Without one, you're creating hotspots instead of having even light distribution, as well as blinding other drivers. The purpose of the cutoff line, which is one of the reasons for the projector, is to prevent this.

Yes, the S2000 comes with projectors from the factory, as do all other HID cars. Yes, only the low-beams use them. The daytime running lights and high-beams are H4 bulbs, since they can be dimmed and an HID cannot. The second car is not using the HIDs in highbeams -- what you're seeing is the result of using an HID bulb without a proper projector.

I appreciate the comments, but as stated in the original post -- I'm looking for a proper HID conversion which includes a projector for even light distribution and a cutoff line to prevent blinding other drivers. As I stated, I know it will probably require cutting to retrofit a projector from something else. What I'm looking for, is where to source a projector that is quality and will possibly fit.

·
Registered
706 Posts
What you're looking for is a bi xenon retrofit. I recommend the Morimoto D2S projectors from The Retrofit Source online: headlight upgrades for all applications. They have a complete "stage III bike kit" on the site.

Sportbike Stage III Kit - Complete Retrofit Kits from The Retrofit Source Inc

Contact TRS if you have any questions, they are very very helpful.

The advantage to the Morimoto projector is that it comes with an adapter to fit in an H4 socket to secure it to the reflector. Also it uses the widely available D2S HID bulb.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very nice somebody5788... That's the type of thing I'm looking for. Have you used this kit? I'm curious on how it compares to the OEM H4, which does a pretty good job already.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Very nice somebody5788... That's the type of thing I'm looking for. Have you used this kit? I'm curious on how it compares to the OEM H4, which does a pretty good job already.
If you're going for a projector retrofit you should definitely go with a mini H1 bi-xenon projector just like the one posted above. Don't expect the light to spread as wide as your S2k's setup as the S2k has some of the best made and most sought after projectors in the world due to their wide light beam. Retro fitters love S2k projectors.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If you're going for a projector retrofit you should definitely go with a mini H1 bi-xenon projector just like the one posted above. Don't expect the light to spread as wide as your S2k's setup as the S2k has some of the best made and most sought after projectors in the world due to their wide light beam. Retro fitters love S2k projectors.
Heh. My personal opinion was "these are good headlights!" but I didn't realize they were so highly-regarded. Saw someone compare them to ones on a 350Z and wow...

Explains why a used replacement set of headlights is $500 on average. One more thing for me to worry about...along with the cluster, tails, seats, etc.

I'm mostly concerned with distance. Width of the light is nice, but I'm mostly concerned with distance. It doesn't take much light to make animal eyes glow.

If/when I end up getting these, I'll be sure to post up a full comparison and write-up.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I have a pair of them that I was going to install on my Jeep. I think the OEM setup is extremely hard to beat. But the Morimoto D2S is a very good projector and if you want an HID its the easiest way to do it right on this bike. Light output would improve some but the stock light is fantastic to start with.

This is the Morimoto D2S projectors output

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has a nice cutoff and no serious hotspots. Distribution could be a little better, but it's definitely nothing to complain about, especially from a non-OEM company.

Have you put it on your CBR? Are you going to? Have any comparisons between OEM and these? I'm hesitant to buy them because it's already a good headlight as you said, and I'd hate to find out that the difference is negligible. I wonder if the Phillips bulb has better output, and if the 55w is too much heat for the housing.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'd just leave them. These headlights work great.:)
Is looking like I may do that. I doubt the stock headlight will light up the trees across the field or reflectors a mile away like the car will, but...I'd hate to spend nearly $200 for a marginal improvement (if any).

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Even when I'm in the middle of nowhere at night, the highbeams do a great job of lighting up everything. They do so much better than my old Ninja 250 did.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I'm not sure you understand what I'm looking for. know it will probably require cutting to retrofit a projector from something else. What I'm looking for, is where to source a projector that is quality and will possibly fit.
Dont feel like the lone ranger..In my "replacing the stock bulb with an aftermarket H4 bulb thread...NOT HID BULBS" it was repeatedly hijacked by people talking about benefits of HID and how to upgrade to it..clearly they didnt even read what the thread was even about before commenting

·
Registered
706 Posts
It has a nice cutoff and no serious hotspots. Distribution could be a little better, but it's definitely nothing to complain about, especially from a non-OEM company.

Have you put it on your CBR? Are you going to? Have any comparisons between OEM and these? I'm hesitant to buy them because it's already a good headlight as you said, and I'd hate to find out that the difference is negligible. I wonder if the Phillips bulb has better output, and if the 55w is too much heat for the housing.
Not on the CBR, I did have them on the Jeep for one night and for that one night I'd had the best headlights I'd ever used hahaha. Now I'm thinking of just leaving the stock lights on the Jeep and retrofitting the CBR and the Suzuki.

Dont feel like the lone ranger..In my "replacing the stock bulb with an aftermarket H4 bulb thread...NOT HID BULBS" it was repeatedly hijacked by people talking about benefits of HID and how to upgrade to it..clearly they didnt even read what the thread was even about before commenting
I agree though, stock H4 bulb > then PnP HID.

Then

Quality Bi Xenon retrofit > H4 (marginally) > PnP HID

·
Registered
76 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Very nice! Is there any way you can do a nice comparison of the stock vs the retrofit?

For example, keep the bike in the same place with both bulbs, possibly parallel to a wall to show the distance, brightness, and width difference between the two, preferably taken with a nice DSLR so the contrast is good.

Looking forward to hearing your "review."

·
Registered
706 Posts
How easily did the lens come off?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Very nice! Is there any way you can do a nice comparison of the stock vs the retrofit?

For example, keep the bike in the same place with both bulbs, possibly parallel to a wall to show the distance, brightness, and width difference between the two, preferably taken with a nice DSLR so the contrast is good.

Looking forward to hearing your "review."
No DSLR, but I could probably do a comparison since the retrofit is being done on a spare headlight.

I expect it to be a bit better than stock, especially low beam. If you're really looking to throw some light down the road I would suggest getting a couple of nice auxiliary lights. I probably will add some to mine at some point.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts