Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Why did Honda make the wheel hubs with open holes around it where the 5 spokes meet? I noticed both wheel hubs are this way. I get that making the wheel hub hollow makes it lighter, but why entry points for "other" material to get into?

Is it a temperature thing?

My dealer started it while he was servicing it and I have no complaints about the sound, but we were inside so that didn't last too long. :rolleyes: Unfortunately for me this red bike was already sold.

I am looking at June 22 for a black non-abs with first dib privileges on any abs stock that is foreseeable up until that point. Doubt I will wait unless it is close. Still no solid information on when abs stock will be available from my dealer.

Wish I was riding it now but the anticipation still makes me smile every day when I think about it. Is it going to be abs or non-abs?

Attachments

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
"Why did Honda make the wheel hubs with open holes around it where the 5 spokes meet? I noticed both wheel hubs are this way. I get that making the wheel hub hollow makes it lighter, but why entry points for "other" material to get into?"

Yes, I am replying to my own question - soliciting other perspectives. :eek:

Anyone wondering about why it was made this way? I suppose if one had little rubber grommets that were the right size they could be snapped in place.

I guess it is nothing to be concerned about but come on, no one has an opinion?

·
745 Posts
I would bet it's all based on less material = less $$$. Wheel-grade aluminum is not a cheap material. Advances in casting have made it possible to do things like this - not too many years ago, this type of wheel would have been machined from a block of material, with all of the associated cost and waste. Increasing the effective diameter of the hub makes it stronger, but if you leave all of the material in there weight and cost work against you. Look at the current crop of high-end bicycles - the bottom bracket (where the pedals attach) have shafts 50% larger than older bikes, but the shaft is hollow to save weight.

By making the hub bigger, they make it stronger, which lets them make the walls even thinner - saving even more money. That's my guess, anyway....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts