Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So like I've said before I've never driven a motorcycle, but when you shift gears, is it like a car in the sense that each gear has it's own spot (like in a car 1st is usually up and to the left, 2nd is down and to the left, etc). Or do you just click your foot forward and backward and it changes to the next highest/lowest gear?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
So like I've said before I've never driven a motorcycle, but when you shift gears, is it like a car in the sense that each gear has it's own spot (like in a car 1st is usually up and to the left, 2nd is down and to the left, etc). Or do you just click your foot forward and backward and it changes to the next highest/lowest gear?
Practice, practice, practice.

Check this out good buddy -->

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
6 Full click up from 5th
5 Full click up from 4th
4 Full click up from 3rd
3 Full click up from 2nd
2 To get into 2nd from 1st you will give it a full click all the way through
N Up 1/2 click is neutral
1 Down 1 is 1st gear

It's pretty easy and down shifting is similar to manual cars. If you decide to engine brake then shifting down from 6th depends on the power of the bike. It also states reccommended shift speeds in the bike manual. REMEMBER when squeezing the clutch to shift, YOU WILL ONLY SHIFT 1 GEAR AT A TIME. So don't be afraid to click UP or DOWN with careful authority because it is only possible to shift 1 gear at a time if performed correctly.

Roll off the throttle, squeeze the clutch, click UP or DOWN depending on what you are trying to do, and then release the clutch slowly as you roll back on the throttle.

·
Registered
636 Posts
first of all you are RIDING a motorcyle... second, you tube as seen in the other response is a good place to get an idea of what is going on..third, practice makes perfect..:):):)

·
Registered
67 Posts
6 Full click up from 5th
5 Full click up from 4th
4 Full click up from 3rd
3 Full click up from 2nd
2 To get into 2nd from 1st you will give it a full click all the way through
N Up 1/2 click is neutral
1 Down 1 is 1st gear

It's pretty easy and down shifting is similar to manual cars. If you decide to engine brake then shifting down from 6th depends on the power of the bike. It also states reccommended shift speeds in the bike manual. REMEMBER when squeezing the clutch to shift, YOU WILL ONLY SHIFT 1 GEAR AT A TIME. So don't be afraid to click UP or DOWN with careful authority because it is only possible to shift 1 gear at a time if performed correctly.

Roll off the throttle, squeeze the clutch, click UP or DOWN depending on what you are trying to do, and then release the clutch slowly as you roll back on the throttle.
Great advice. I'm a novice, I just looked at it and took her out. Noticed a huge difference in my shifts, much smoother when you hit the recommended points, especially on the downshift. Now practice, practice, practice. And man, they really take you into 6th quick "5th-->6th 37mph"

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
No, it isn't like a regular road car. Motorcycles have a sequential transmission, as do some racing cars.

Sequential manual transmission - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

There is not a specific position for each gear...... and you cannot go directly from , say fifth to second. You can only shift to the gear above or the gear below.

The position for neutral on most motorcycles, including the CBR250R, is between first and second. It is usually a "nudge" rather than a full "click"

So, as mentioned by others, the standard pattern is just click up to change up, click down to change down, and find neutral between first and second.

There are some different patterns but, unless you encounter vintage, racing, or a few small machines, you need not bother yourself with them.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Top explained it best-

Its like a mountain bike.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
ok, just to clarify. If I'm in 6th gear, I hold in on the clutch and click down twice, am I in 4 gear or 5th gear since you can't skip gears?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
ok, just to clarify. If I'm in 6th gear, I hold in on the clutch and click down twice, am I in 4 gear or 5th gear since you can't skip gears?
Each click represents a gear. If you held the clutch and clicked down from 6th twice, you would be in 4th.

I think the misconception was, If you hold the clutch in and give it one full push from 6th would you be in 1st or 5th? You would be in 5th. If you are in 3rd driving through town and a wild stop sign appears, you could hold the clutch in and shift down (by clicking twice) to first. Personally, I prefer to shift down as a drop speed to help the transmission out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts