Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was quoted new tyres $300, service $300 and $300 to clean the fuel injectors. $900 total

Came out to $1200 AUD total to do it all

Do you guys think that's fair? I'm just skeptical because it's taken them over two weeks, didn't need to fit any new bits other than the service

The had no idea what the issue was so they 'cleaned all the electricals' and cleaned the tank or something.

It was stalling a lot.

I'm a new rider too, so what should I do if the bike still has issues after I take it back?

I feel kinda ripped a bit because they said they were confused on what was wrong and they don't sound confident it's fixed.

They also said to me don't have too much faith in keeping it long because CBR's weren't made to last, I don't think that's true...

·
Registered
124 Posts
They’re trying to cover their a** on doing piss-poor job!

There is no “cleaning” of electricals! Electrons flow inside wires and there’s nothing ever needed as far as “service”. On very, very old bikes, maybe you need to disassemble connectors and sand/deox. Or use meters to track down broken wires or sensors. They don’t seem that skilled or smart enough to do that.

Most likely your issue is one or more of following:
  • vacuum leak
  • sensor or adjustment issue
  • spark plugs, wires or coils
Make sure you pay with credit-card when picking it up. If your bike is not PERFECT when you get it back, dispute charges on credit card. Not sure on your area, here in CA, there’s a work-order that you have to authorize with individual items listed. They are required to fullfil all items on that work order, if not, you can dispute charges. There’s state boards that govern and monitor shops that can have complaints filed with.

When choosing new shop, look at numerous internet-reviews carefully. Ask around with friends and family.

Hondas are most reliable. My 35-yr old VF500F runs as perfectly today as 1st day I bought it. I wring my CBR600RR to max at tracks 40-days/yr and it keeps on going 15-yrs on now.

Again, they’re trying to cover their stupidity. Get your bike back asap without paying if possible. Just go over there and demand it back. If they haven’t done the work, you shouldn’t need to pay. Show up with constable if possible.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
They also said to me don't have too much faith in keeping it long because CBR's weren't made to last, I don't think that's true...
OMG CBRs aren't made to last? Are they effing out of their minds? I don't know whether to laugh or to cry. The CBR 250 is a very reliable bike and some here have put plenty of miles on theirs (I'm currently at 40.000 trouble free km and there are people here with way more).
Sounds to me like they want to sell you a larger more expensive bike and that's that.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Was quoted new tyres $300, service $300 and $300 to clean the fuel injectors. $900 total

Came out to $1200 AUD total to do it all

Do you guys think that's fair? I'm just skeptical because it's taken them over two weeks, didn't need to fit any new bits other than the service

The had no idea what the issue was so they 'cleaned all the electricals' and cleaned the tank or something.

It was stalling a lot.

I'm a new rider too, so what should I do if the bike still has issues after I take it back?

I feel kinda ripped a bit because they said they were confused on what was wrong and they don't sound confident it's fixed.

Sounds excessive, but not familiar with AUD compared to USD.

$300 AUD for cleaning the injector (there's only one) seems over the top.

There are a few things you could do to troubleshoot the stalling problems if you wanted to look for a cure yourself.

Because they have the cycle now and you OK'd the quote I think you are on the hook for the bill.

·
Registered
96 Posts
As mentioned above bits do sound a bit rich. Tyres, it depends what you had fitted, $300 isn't a bad price, I had a pair of bt39s fitted to mine with wheels removed and they were $280. I'm in Perth though, so depending on where you are, that's probably ballpark.

As for the injector, that sounds right up there. I don't know what a new one would cost, but I would have thought around the same price as that. Again though, it depends how much they have to remove and replace and if there were any other issues with it.

$300 for the service is up there too, but if they did a valve adjustment it's probably ballpark too. As for a general service, it shouldn't cost that much, even for an oil change, chain clean and lube and adjustment if needed... Brake fluid change, etc could all have needed doing so it is hard to tell.

It is hard to judge though, as prices will vary a lot by location, but if you're mechanically inclined, read up on the forums as there is plenty of info on here about what you can do yourself and you can save a lot of money.

·
Super Moderator
6,945 Posts

Came out to $1200 AUD total to do it all...
I don't know the exchange rates either to comment on the individual prices, but I'd definitely question how a $900 total bill somehow had another $300 added to it... 3 X $300 doesn't equal $1200, no matter where in the world one lives!!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts