Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick one,

Is it impeccably bad to be late by a couple hundred KM for the first 1000km service?
I've never had a 'new' vehicle before so not so sure.
Are you voiding warranty by being late etc. etc. ??

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow, here we go with all the break in gurus and philosophies again! I'll just tell you that I was about 200mi. late getting mine done for various reasons. I still sleep at night and my bike seems to run very strong imho. I'm sure the next poster will say that my bike is likely to fall completely apart and I will probably throw a rod in the next 20mi. but I think the whole break in thing is taken a bit too serious. Your bike will be fine. Just my .02

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, here we go with all the break in gurus and philosophies again! I'll just tell you that I was about 200mi. late getting mine done for various reasons. I still sleep at night and my bike seems to run very strong imho. I'm sure the next poster will say that my bike is likely to fall completely apart and I will probably throw a rod in the next 20mi. but I think the whole break in thing is taken a bit too serious. Your bike will be fine. Just my .02
haha no no - no talking about breaking in!

just want to know whether warranty is voided if late or if its really important to get the first service done asap from a mechanical point of view.

·
Registered
256 Posts
My dealer told me that my warranty would not be voided if I waited as long as I had it done in a reasonable amount of time, for what that is worth. He didn't give the specifics, just that 790 mi. would be fine. Not the most reliable dealer though.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Just a quick one,

Is it impeccably bad to be late by a couple hundred KM for the first 1000km service?
I think of it this way:

What does 1000km really mean ?
An engine that spent most of that 1000km on the highway will be a different 'age' from one that spent most of that 1000km being ridden in town. So both engines read '1000km' on the odometer but each has been run through a vastly different number of combustion cycles. So I wouldn't sweat being a little late (unless you ran the bike without ever getting it out of first gear, ha ha).

If a bike doesn't get its service until way after 1000km and the engine burns a valve, I would think that that should not be covered under warranty because a valve adjustment at the right time would have prevented the problem..

·
Registered
111 Posts
Just a quick one,

Don't ask us, ask your dealer. They're the only ones that can give you the right answer.

Honda won't repair the engine under warranty if it's damaged after (or due to) missing a scheduled service. But they don't define "missed," your dealer does. It will be up to them to say at what mileage they consider the service to have been missed. So just give them a quick call and ask.

That said, if you're about to go on a long trip and want to know whether to take it in before or after, it's probably a better idea to take it in before even if you're still one or two hundred km short. There's the very small chance that they could catch a problem that would leave you stranded (or perhaps crashed) far away from home.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I ended up taking mine in at 550 miles/885km just because it was convenient at that time...if 6 or 700 miles was more convenient then i would have waited to have it done then...besides..break-in was over around 300 miles/482km.....one thing i liked tho..my dealer drained the oil..added back 1.5 quarts, ran the engine a bit...then drained oil again and then changed the filter.....lots of metal particles in there from the first 300 miles

1 - 7 of 7 Posts