Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Short version:

Good kit. Inexpensive considering what is included. Will work with any radio, phone, or mp3 player you have or plan to get. Helmet mount headphones can be used with or without the throat mic, as they're just speakers with a bit of wire and a 3.5mm/1.8" pigtail -- but they are definitely higher quality than average headphones.

TL;DR version:

Ordered from them direct with the 2.5mm generic phone interface and the XSound 2 helmet speakers. Total cost shipped was $130.30. Stuff was ordered on the 22nd and arrived today. My main goal is to be able to listen to music from my ipod or phone without the annoying earbud things. I ordered the mic too just in case I decide to use one of my portable radios, but I won't be using it with the phone.

The speakers are nothing to look at, they honestly look just like generic headphone speakers that have been popped off the headphones, except that the back is flat and has a velcro 'donut' rather than a plastic nub to snap into headphones. The quality on the other hand is much better than you get from the generic headphones, and the bass from the tiny XS2 speakers is definitely better than what you get from the included ones. Even though I ordered the upgraded headphones, they sent the other ones as well.

Mounting the speakers in the helmet was easy peasy, nothing to it. Just pop off the padding in the helmet, peel the paper off the adhesive on the velcro donut, and stick it. One wire is much longer than the other, to run the speaker to the other side of the helmet. Run the wire out with the chin strap and done. I ran mine down on the left side with the d-rings, and the pigtail hangs down about an inch longer than the strap itself.

From here you hook up depending on if you want 'comms' or not. If you do, then you put the throat microphone on. It's a dual-mic setup with a magnetic hasp in the back. The sides are made of stretchy spandex type stuff and are adjustable length/tension, while the front is a soft silicone with a pre-formed 'bump' to account for those of us (ok, me) with a pronounced adams apple. The mics are to either side of your throat.

The mic has a stubby female 1/8" female pigtail to plug the headphones into, and a longer pigtail with a mini-DIN connector that goes to the various adapters they make.

If you don't need the mic, and just want the headphones, they also include a 1/8" stereo M/F extension cable a little over 2 feet long with a volume control about 4 inches from the female (helmet) end.

The PTT switch is very long, has a coiled length near the plug end, and seems to be of decent quality. Tactile feedback is strong and it takes a bit of force to activate, so pushing it by accident seems pretty unlikely. They include a little bit more 'stretchy stuff' to either hold the button to your finger inside your glove, or to hold it somewhere on the bike near one of your thumbs. Personally I would probably put it on the left handlebar in range of my thumb and not wear it under the glove.

Mic quality seems very good when just sitting inside, but since I have no intention of making or taking phonecalls on the road, I can't really say if it's as immune to wind as they claim. It certainly looks like it will be, as it seems to work entirely on direct vibration from your throat; there are no holes to allow sound in, no foam bits, or anything like a more conventional microphone uses.

While I only got the phone adapter, that was because I really didn't know what I was ordering at the time; I thought it would be required for everything, so I decided that I'd be listening to music on the phone and leaving the ipod at home; turns out I will be leaving the adapter and the mic home most days, and will likely order up other adapters when/if I need them. They sell adapters for just about every brand of radio, including motorola, garmin, yaesu, icom, cobra, kenwood, etc. The adapters are about $20 each, but the plug is just a normal 6pin mini-din -- the same as ps/2 keyboards, so you could make up any adapter you need pretty easily for a few bucks in parts @ radio shack.

Pictures to follow.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
All the stuff. Top to bottom, left to right: PTT switch, headphones, extension w/ vol control, throat mic, throat mic adapter cable.

Headphones installed before putting final pad back in:

Pad in:

Pigtail:

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^Good point...and less wires and "stuff" with a senna. No plug in wires to worry about.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Price is close to that of the SENA, it really depends on what you're after. If you don't want the wires, a BT thing like that is the way to go. Personally I don't mind, it looks like a lot, but it's really only one wire -- two if you want the PTT hooked up. The headset plugs into the mic, and only one wire leaves that to go to your device if VOX is good enough for you. If you want PTT then you'll have the wire from the PTT button as well.

Personally, with as much music as I listen to, I just can't stand bluetooth -- battery life is problematic too on BT devices.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts