Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replaced my original IRC tires with Michelin Pilot Street (bias-ply) tires yesterday. Thanks to a set of Motion Pro bead breaker levers it was fairly easy. When I added air to the front tire I did not get the customary two "POPs" as the tire filled and the beads set. I deflated the tire again and refilled with air - still no "POPs" indicating bead set. On the rear tire I did get two little "POPs" as it inflated, although much quieter than I expected.
I checked both rims for leaks with soapy water. No leaks and they are still just as full this morning.
Since I used a small electric air compressor instead of compressed air, could the slower inflation seat the beads without the customary "POP", or is this perhaps just a characteristic of this particular tire?
Considering how well everything else went for my first time swapping tires myself, that lack of loud "POPs" that assures the beads are fully seated is bothering me a bit.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I might be concerned as well.

Did you lube the bead? You want a big rush of high pressure air to seat the beads. You may need to try again with more air.

·
Registered
87 Posts
If the bead is even all the way around the rim on both sides of the tyre, I wouldn't be concerned. As you said, using a small compressor you may not get that loud pop, also being a smaller tyre they will hold less volume of air than a car tyre for the same pressure. I've never fitted motorbike tyres, but if the beads are even between tyre and rim I wouldn't be worried at all. I would say all will be ok, given that they are still holding pressure the filling day. Not sure how you would go with the wheel balance though, or are you using those balancing beads?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I might be concerned as well.

Did you lube the bead? You want a big rush of high pressure air to seat the beads. You may need to try again with more air.
Yes, I lubed the beads with Windex before inflating. I followed Ari Henning's YouTube video to a tee, the only difference was using an electric air pump instead of air from a compressor. The slight "pop" I got from the rear tire makes me think the beads are seated, the electric pump just seated them more gradually and with less noise. That and the fact that they haven't lost a pound of air since first inflated.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the bead is even all the way around the rim on both sides of the tyre, I wouldn't be concerned. As you said, using a small compressor you may not get that loud pop, also being a smaller tyre they will hold less volume of air than a car tyre for the same pressure. I've never fitted motorbike tyres, but if the beads are even between tyre and rim I wouldn't be worried at all. I would say all will be ok, given that they are still holding pressure the filling day. Not sure how you would go with the wheel balance though, or are you using those balancing beads?
The bead is even and appears to be well set on both tires. I had a pack of adhesive-backed wheel weights, but when balancing the tires I found that re-positioning the original weight that was on the tires was all it took to balance them. I've heard that Michelin doesn't put a "dot" on the heaviest part of their tires because they're already well balanced. Since these were the bias-ply Michelins made in Eastern Europe I didn't expect that to be completely true, but it turned out they were pretty simple to balance and didn't need more than the original weights positioned opposite the stem.
I guess I'll take it out for a slow-speed test ride, but everything sure looks good. I can be a bit OCD when it comes to stuff like this, so maybe I'm just over-thinking things again.
Thanks for the comments!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Good stuff. Hope they work out well. I recently got the factory irc tyres replaced on my 2011 after 9 years and 25k km the rear was pretty sad in the centre. The front still had plenty of tread left on it, but didn't fancy how brittle the rubber would be after that many years. I got Bridgestone bt39s fitted, which seem ok from a quick run with them. Plenty of grip, got them fitted as we have a place not far from where I am that has them fitted for about the same as I can buy loose tyres online.

You'll probably be fine with the balance anyway, after all it's not exactly a speed demon of a bike. I must say though, I've got an sv650 also and riding that and the cbr back to back, the cbr feels like a pit bike just about haha.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The bead is even and appears to be well set on both tires. I had a pack of adhesive-backed wheel weights, but when balancing the tires I found that re-positioning the original weight that was on the tires was all it took to balance them. I've heard that Michelin doesn't put a "dot" on the heaviest part of their tires because they're already well balanced. Since these were the bias-ply Michelins made in Eastern Europe I didn't expect that to be completely true, but it turned out they were pretty simple to balance and didn't need more than the original weights positioned opposite the stem.
I guess I'll take it out for a slow-speed test ride, but everything sure looks good. I can be a bit OCD when it comes to stuff like this, so maybe I'm just over-thinking things again.
Thanks for the comments!
You may be fine then.

What pressure did you fill them to initially? I think I'd go up as far as possible just to make sure, before backing down to recommended running pressure.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Good stuff. Hope they work out well. I recently got the factory irc tyres replaced on my 2011 after 9 years and 25k km the rear was pretty sad in the centre. The front still had plenty of tread left on it, but didn't fancy how brittle the rubber would be after that many years. I got Bridgestone bt39s fitted, which seem ok from a quick run with them. Plenty of grip, got them fitted as we have a place not far from where I am that has them fitted for about the same as I can buy loose tyres online.

You'll probably be fine with the balance anyway, after all it's not exactly a speed demon of a bike. I must say though, I've got an sv650 also and riding that and the cbr back to back, the cbr feels like a pit bike just about haha.
These were the original IRCs on my 2011 as well. Had plenty of tread left on them and no dry rot since I store my bike inside a shed, but they were way past due for being replaced just just because of their age. Once I got the rear tire off the rim I could really notice how "flattened" the center section of the tread had become. Not a minute too soon I guess!
I'm hardly a speed demon, which is the main reason I opted for the cheaper bias-ply tires over radials. I couldn't see paying a lot more for performance I'd probably never use and since the bike is now going on 10 years old I doubt I'll do much more mileage before I get antsy for new bike. That MT-03 has really caught my eye lately. LOL.

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You may be fine then.

What pressure did you fill them to initially? I think I'd go up as far as possible just to make sure, before backing down to recommended running pressure.
Although they seemed to seat at between 10-15 pounds, I ran them both up to 35-40. I recalled Ari saying that you probably shouldn't inflate them past 40 when first inflating them. Then I backed them down to 28 front and 32 rear per the manual. They haven't lost anything going on 2 days now and visually the beads on both tires look perfect, so I'm pretty confident I'm okay. Thanks for the replies!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts