Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heys, I just installed a r&g tidy tail on my cbr250 and went head and got their micro indicators and resistors as well. Anyways I plug it all in and "tick" there goes a fuse, I'm like **** check my wiring again looks ok, and pop goes another fuse, I'm scratching my head as to wtf is happening, I triple check it and reset everything and pop there goes another, I'm getting really annoyed at this point, have to go out and buy more fuses....

Any ways I isolate all the parts and let them hang loose, and it's all working... Put it back on the frame and pop goes another fuse. The bolt of the micro indicator was shorting on the tidy tail(made of metal). Wtf. So I insulated the bolt and nut and now it works, kinda....

Even with R&Gs resistors installed it still blinks fast, yup.....

I'm a noob at wiring but still.... That just sucks.

·
Registered
319 Posts
How did you wire them up?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the resistors in parallel with the indicators one resistor each side. So one end goes to the ground cable, the other into the power.

I cant understand why the fuse pops when the indicators are bolted into the tidy tail, is the indicator grounded to its own bolt? is that supposed to happen?

I have it blinking fast at the moment, my concern is if it rains on the indicator it will pop another fuse....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Did you remember to cover up all the bullet joins,seems you wired them correctly.

they share a ground, and then one power wire each side.

The bolt shouldn't be live, maybe the wire is shorting to the bolt. try a multimeter across the bolt, or look in it for any crap on the inside shorting it out

·
Registered
64 Posts
Series, not parallel

I have the resistors in parallel with the indicators one resistor each side.
I believe the resistors need to be in series with the LEDs. The resistance of and LED is essentially 0, so if you wire them in parallel, the current will simply flow through the LEDs and not through the resistor (read: short circuit). Wiring the resistor in series with the LED should fix your timing issues, and may fix the issue with the metal bolts on your metal tidy tail. The way it is usually done (on cars, anyway) is they run a hot wire to the light, and the ground returns through the frame of the vehicle, which sounds like what is happening with your setup.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Incorrect.

The resistor needs to be in PARRALLEL

Yes LEDS are an OPEN circuit and are open until a suitable voltage to over come the barrier brake over voltage ( generally 0.6v)

But why parallel? The resistance is for the flasher circuit when needs the resistance from the globe to flash at the correct rate.

If you put the resistor in series it will work, but it will also drop the voltage to the LEDS making them not as bright.

With the resistor in parallel the really will have the resistance and the low power LEDs will simpally draw off that.

Yes you cab get an led flasher relay but as I have mentioned before our relay is not a normal 4 pin relay. It uses a 3 pin relay with a built in connector

It's also hidden behind the nose cone so you need to drop the nose and remove the gauge cluster to access it. And from the few I could find the relay was about $40 worth.

·
Registered
8 Posts
they should be wired in series parallel with the earths gravitational pull. jk i think either way will work. i just did my tail tidy and kept the stock indicators didnt feeel like extra wires when i do that crap all day at work.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Makes me wanna put the stock indicators on the tidy tail. Probably need a new relay. Or different resistors.

On a similar note, anyone here gonna put on flush mount indicators when they're available?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts