Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ride with earplugs whenever possible. In ear canal phones actually, so I can have some music while rolling down the interstate highway for miles on end if I want.
I bought my Radians custom molded earplug compound in order to try to make custom inserts for my Shure E3C in ear canal phones. Mine did harden correctly into a nice, rubbery consistency. If yours is acting slow to harden you can use a blow dryer to gently warm the ear area so it will set up and save a trip to the emergency room for removal. It was shaped perfectly to the contour of my ear canal but once removed and trimmed back to expose the end of my ear phone tube, it doesn't extend down the canal far enough to seal any more so the sound quality is not correct. No bass. It might work as intended for ear plugs where the length can be left longer into the ear but I still have my doubts that even then it will seal as well as a simple foam plug. I will give three stars because it is easy to use and it does harden into a perfect, rubbery shape of your ear canal but I don't think it will really be as effective as a foam or soft rubber ear plug because it cannot compress and expand enough upon re insertion to form a good seal. This might be one of those modern day products that seems like a really cool idea but just doesn't quite work out.

·
Registered
172 Posts
This might be one of those modern day products that seems like a really cool idea but just doesn't quite work out.
Well as I read along I had hoped that they worked out. I would have ordered a set to try, and would have liked to try to make a set for my in ear headphones that I use at work.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Flop

Well as I read along I had hoped that they worked out. I would have ordered a set to try, and would have liked to try to make a set for my in ear headphones that I use at work.
Don't bother. The project was a flop. I'm going back to foam as none of the rubber tips I have tried stay in well enough. I would have to see a pair of professionally molded in ear monitors to see what they do differently to make them work. In the mean time, I'm off to the store to buy some foam ear plugs to drill and fit as replacements so I don't have to pay the outrageous pricing and shipping from Shure.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
This year I bought a device, made by Sena SMH 10, that clips on to the helmut that is a combination bluetooth, Ipod and mic that enable up to four riders to comunicate. Works great,very clear, like talking via phone. Dispenses with hand signals when group riding. I do alot of highway riding and like to listen to music. Pair up your phone with it and activate voice command and you have your phone as well. However I prefer not to talk on the phone.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I find foam works well enough, and only have to turn up my G4 headphones just a bit to hear the music (they've got plenty of extra volume leftover).:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
I definitely want a wireless setup, but cost is usually high.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
True, price of the headsets are high but, I have certainly got my monies worth this season. It's great to communicate with other riders with one tap of the botton; another tap and back to music. I find listening to music helps cut down on engine and wind noise. It has a long battery life, approx 22 hrs. Great device

Should add though, my son-in-law manages a powerhouse so I am able to get a reduced price on some products. Yea for me!!

·
Registered
252 Posts
I always wear earplugs when riding. I have a pair of Peltor indoor/outdoor range plugs for when i go to the shooting range, and they def work fine. can switch sides depending on how much noise i want to filter out.

I was thinking of alternating with some noise cancelling earbuds by bose or beat, but not sure about that yet... i kinda enjoy just the road and i for now.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts