Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Rain is cool, I learned thee hard way about black ice though. It cost me a suzuki 1100, one year old ready to be sold in about a week. Hit black ice and totaled it.
It rained the night before and froze on the street, and on the day I went riding, it stayed overcast, no rain, but the patches of thin ice did not melt. And it was comfortable temperature so I never suspected ice in so. california. These were local mountains, but I did not know about the rain. I kept gtting wide in the corners, so I buckled down and focused (on the wrong things) and tried to keep the lines, until I slid out.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I wasn't saying you don't get more grip by leaning off the bike. I was simply pointing out that any increase in friction is not caused by "more gravity" when your bike is upright.

·
Registered
619 Posts
It doesn't seem to make sense, but it does seem to make a difference. You can actually feel the difference. When you lean with the bike you feel all the forces driving directly through the tire, into the road.

When you lean off and keep the bike more upright, you feel less tire friction. The forces seem more split between the friction of the tires and centrifugal force trying to throw you topside. Some of the energy must be burned off by your muscles countering the forces.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I don't use expensive gear when I ride in the rain. I try to be on my Stryker with the windshield on and have leathers on, though. Very rarely get more than slightly damp. Keep it above 90mph and the water just sheets off. ;-) It's fun watching the lightning come down all around and waving to the shocked cagers as I fly by.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I live in & around Pittsburgh & if I want to ride to work I must risk doing riding in the rain. Staying dry with good gear is key to enjoying it especially if its a bit cold. I just got my CBR250RA & I'm getting it broken in quickly riding it everyday regardless of the forecast. The weathermen around here got it easy. They just say "rain possible today" or "scattered showers" and they're covered.

The roads were a bit wet this morning as I left for work. I have an hour ride from about 40 miles away that took an hour and a half this morning, getting stuck in school traffic (won't go that way again). Its cloudy & looks like I could be riding home in the rain, like yesterday. I'll be very close to that magic 300 mile end of break in milage possibly tonight, then I can have some fun.

Never ride faster than your gaurdian angel can fly. ;)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Now I really want to know the physics behind it all, and I don't mean wikipedia. I am setting out to solve this problem. I'll have crack open the old textbooks/class notes, but I will find the answer to why you get more grip when you lean with your bike, and I will share it with you. Be warned, it will take some time, and I don't have a lot to spare. This will be a great chance to brush up on my dynamics.

Bonus Moldy_Dog info: I graduated spring 2010 from Purdue University with my B.S. in Aeronautics and Astronautics Engineering. (Why yes, I am a rocket scientist.) The aerospace industry is totally dead right now (thanks a lot Mr. President), so I have a job as an analyst for the time being. I do meaningful work, but it provides nowhere near the level of enjoyment I had while working on engineering stuff (and nowhere near the pay I would be getting). My plan is to save for a couple years and get my Master's. Hopefully by then there will be jobs again.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I live in & around Pittsburgh & if I want to ride to work I must risk doing riding in the rain. Staying dry with good gear is key to enjoying it especially if its a bit cold. I just got my CBR250RA & I'm getting it broken in quickly riding it everyday regardless of the forecast. The weathermen around here got it easy. They just say "rain possible today" or "scattered showers" and they're covered.
If you rode yesterday evening or today, props. Especially today. I have a rain suit coming, but I probably won't get much use before it gets too cold. It's supposed to warm up again midweek, though, and I plan on logging many miles of twisties before the weekend. (kutter, if you're ever going for a ride just for fun, pm me on here and maybe I'll join).

·
Registered
278 Posts
Now I really want to know the physics behind it all, and I don't mean wikipedia. I am setting out to solve this problem. I'll have crack open the old textbooks/class notes, but I will find the answer to why you get more grip when you lean with your bike, and I will share it with you. Be warned, it will take some time, and I don't have a lot to spare. This will be a great chance to brush up on my dynamics.

Bonus Moldy_Dog info: I graduated spring 2010 from Purdue University with my B.S. in Aeronautics and Astronautics Engineering. (Why yes, I am a rocket scientist.) The aerospace industry is totally dead right now (thanks a lot Mr. President), so I have a job as an analyst for the time being. I do meaningful work, but it provides nowhere near the level of enjoyment I had while working on engineering stuff (and nowhere near the pay I would be getting). My plan is to save for a couple years and get my Master's. Hopefully by then there will be jobs again.
I look forward to reading your turning analysis. Somehow I suspect that the vector forces of the body 'pulling down' on the tipped spinning gyros (wheels), is not being taken account of in the other posts. This action's influence on the turning of the bike is of course completely missing when the bike is upright and going straight.

A side note: I'm no expert, but I have a feeling that the hottest topic in flying machines these days is research and developments into autonomous or semi-autonomous flying machines of all sizes small and large.. drones or surveillance. Where the military sees an advantage, the $$$ will follow...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Reading the thread with a smile - rain is a bi*ch, period.

Come on down and ride for a week or so here this month. No tourists, low rates everywhere, whatever beach is yours. October through 2nd week November is always the worst. Rains every day, sometimes so street-flooding lightning-packed hard it scares even the locals. Biking here = dealing with rain, constantly. And leaning off the side of the bike for, supposedly, added traction is, well, the least of one's concerns.

Get a good rain suit, maintain your bike accordingly, and exploit the dumbass cagers in the wet.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I rode today in 43 degree rain. Maybe ten miles, tops, but I rode. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.

·
Registered
999 Posts
It'll be raining in Marin County, CA tomorrow so I'll finally get to see how the bike handles in the wet.

·
Registered
999 Posts
The stock tires absolutely hate rubberized crack sealer (can't think of any tire that does like the stuff) but other than that this little bike handles the wet just fine.

I can't wait until the stock tires wear out so I can go back to Pirelli. I'm hoping the Sport Demons will be as good as the Scorpion Syncs I ran on the Buell. I have yet to find a tire that works for me in the wet as well as the Syncs but if the demons come close I'll be a happy camper.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The stock tires absolutely hate rubberized crack sealer (can't think of any tire that does like the stuff) but other than that this little bike handles the wet just fine.

I can't wait until the stock tires wear out so I can go back to Pirelli. I'm hoping the Sport Demons will be as good as the Scorpion Syncs I ran on the Buell. I have yet to find a tire that works for me in the wet as well as the Syncs but if the demons come close I'll be a happy camper.
I agree that rubberized crack sealer is slippery when wet. Other than that these stock tires grip wet pavement well. I tried to try out my anti lock brakes & anchored down pretty hard only to stop fast w/o the ABS.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I rode today in 43 degree rain. Maybe ten miles, tops, but I rode. Wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it would be.
You must have some pretty warm rain gear. Mine works fairly well but the rain proof layer is next to my skin, & the outer shell gets drenched. My gloves do the same thing & get cold. I like my old rain suit that sheds water on the outside. I need to get one large enough to wear outside my armored riding gear along with some good insulated waterproof gloves. I think its kind of fun to ride in the rain as long as I stay dry and warm.

·
Registered
148 Posts
No rain gear, actually. My jacket is pretty water resistant, and I had a few layers and a scarf on underneath. Leather gloves, that's really the only place that got cold, a liner would have been nice. Jeans on the bottom and boots with high socks.

But like I said, I didn't ride far. Wouldn't have wanted to ride more than my commute involved...its bicycle weather when it gets any colder.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
43 degrees... Crikey ... and I thought Australia gets hot.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Kutter, you waited all summer for abs and can't even get them to work in the rain? wtf?, j/k.
It will be sometime I "grab" that front brake like you're never supposed to do that ABS will save my arse from going down. I never do that intensionally.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts