Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's full on monsoon in Indonesia, and I have ridden through some major storms. Got caught in a super squall near the coast yesterday, epic gust nearly blew me off my bike at 75kph in almost solid rain.

I rode through a couple of small floods, and when I got back home, wiped down the bike, lubed the chain and also the ignition keyhole as well as the keyholes for my panniers.

That was just instinctive after the deluge. But was just wondering if anyone else lives in heavy rainfall areas (in Oz for example), and how often you lubricate your chain during the rainy season?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I live in aus. Don't ride in the rain a lot but my golden rule is at least once per tank of fuel. Riding in the conditions you describe I'd probably do it almost every time I rode in the rain.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well actually I do spray it everytime i go through a major rainstorm w minor flooding, but thought maybe I was overdoing it. :)

Redline, is there an actual equation for higher RPMs to chain wear (obviously same distance traveled etc)? I tend to range between 5 -7/8k (old f..t I am)

·
Registered
427 Posts
Over lube you'll just make your back rim messy. Under lube you shorten its life at best and at worst it breaks and causes catastrophic damage to either you or the bike or both.

Loob is cheap. Have at it!

Seems like a dumb question now. :D

·
Registered
879 Posts
The chain is internaly lubricated and sealed with o rings. You only really have to worry about the outside of the chain. I clean mine as needed and then use a chain wax to protect the outside plates from rusting.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The chain is internaly lubricated and sealed with o rings. You only really have to worry about the outside of the chain. I clean mine as needed and then use a chain wax to protect the outside plates from rusting.
Ah that's good to know. Now to source chain wax in Indonesia!!!

BTW how are you cleaning the chain? I seem to have more fine grit on it than normal.

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
24k km on mine and chain is still like new.

I'm thorough when it comes to cleaning and lubing it though. It also cuts down on noise that's then amplified up through the farings.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I ride in heavy rain quite often but so far have just used a 500 mile interval, rain or shine. 6000 miles on the bike so far and the chain doesn't seem to be changing at all yet. Lubed with DuPont teflon chain lube.
i dubble that lubing every 500km with forch teflon hevy duty chain lube.
and the chain looks as new

·
Registered
22 Posts
DuPont is a dry lube and works well in the rain. However, the dude is from Southeast Asia, where I doubt it's available. 90/80 grade gear oil is also pretty resistant. But you can tell when you're chain doesn't have any lube on it, especially when it's wet. Rust discoloration will appear.

so...just figure out how many times you need to lube the chain before rust begins to form. :D

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I just used generic chain lube first 3,000 miles or so...messy stuff...would fling all over my back tire..chain always looked black

..so switched to dupont degreaser and chain wax...been using it over a 1,000 miles now..back rim looks good, chain still looks silver....

I'm pretty sure your not supposed to use kerosene on an O ring chain..I believe it even says not to use it in the manual, but I may be wrong about that

1 - 19 of 19 Posts