Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
thanks alot for the pics/directions man! i actually just ordered this and was looking for some directions specifically for this bike. This helps a lot!

I ordered exactly what you did (even the short clamp) except I got the iphone mount.

I'll be using this along with the directions when I get it!

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Do you have the part numbers?
Here's what I ordered, less the GPS-specific cradle:

RAM Mount Camera Mount Plate Model No. RAM-B-202AU
RAM Mount Motorcycle Fork Stem Base with 1 inch Ball Model No. RAM-B-342U
RAM Mount Short Arm B-Socket Model No. RAM-B-201U-A
RAM Mount Diamond Plate with 1 inch Ball Model No. RAM-B-238U
RAM Mount Long Arm B-Socket Model No. RAM-B-201U-C

The short arm works fine for my GPS. The long arm is longer than it needs to be for my camera. If I had to do it again, I might just save a little money and get only the "standard" arm (instead of both short and long), as it splits the difference lengthwise.

·
Banned
834 Posts
I just installed my GPS mount.

I have a Garmin Nuvi 1690 so there is no compatible gps Ram mount for this bike to work with the nuvi 1690 so I had to do some modifications.

I used the same center cap mount as in this thread, the Ram-B-342U.

I took the stock cradle that came with my gps that is supposed to be for the car and hollowed out the ball socket (the socket is smaller than the ram 1" ball) and hacksawed some relief cuts on each side of the joint so it would flex a abit and grab ont on the 1" ram ball.

I then just took some Locktite superglue and applied it around the inside edge of the ball socket on the back of the stock cradle and mounted the stock cradle onto the 1" ram ball and applied pressure for a minute or so. That cradle is on so tight and strong that I would have to break the stock cradle off with a hammer in order to remove it.

The placement is absolutely perfect and at the perfect viewing angle. Next, I will install the 12 volt outlet in order to power the gps on long trips. I can also use the volt outlet to charge my cell phone as well.

Here are pics:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Thanks for the instructions! I just installed mine and it's protruding out more than your pics show! The top piece doesn't go in proper and I'm not sure why! I'll remove it tomorrow and try again as I think I just need to shave down the top part of the rubber insert a bit more.

·
Registered
532 Posts
skysensor -- Thanks for the pics, I'm doing this over the weekend myself (just got the parts). Looking at these and others, I am thinking I should have gotten the short arm, but got the standard as it was part of a 'kit'.

If possible, could you take another shot, with the RAM ball pointing down/away from the keyslot (basically how you have it in your pics), but with the short arm pointing up to the keyhole, and the GPS on top of it?

I'm debating buying the short arm, and if I can have the GPS 'sit' centered on the handlebars, with full visibility of the dash, I'll probably do it. I figure my standard arm will be too long and block some of the bike's dash when positioned that way.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I've been using the RAM mount with my Garmin Nuvi 765T for a while... best solution out there, however, you might find you need to tighten it up after the first few weeks. Either turn the center screw a bit, or actually rotate the nob clockwise. Or both...
Wouldn't want to lose anything in a tight corner...

·
Registered
350 Posts
P.S. I don't know if y'all have attached any power to your GPS, off the battery (don't see any sockets). Those GPS units don't last very long unplugged...

I've run a socket accessory off the Battery Tender line (the wire runs in the crack between the tank and fairing), and I've zip-tied the socket itself to the RAM mount stem. Not the most aesthetic solution, but it works...

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
I don't use mine often, and have a powercable that you can get with the transformer attached to the battery.

I have it running a few inched back to under the pillion seat where I put in a little plastic plug. So when I want to use it I just take off the pillion seat, plug it in, run it up to the stem mount and good to go. :)

Think the battery on my Nuvi 1250 lasts about 4 hours. Can also recharge through any computer with a USB.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Wish mine lasted for 3 hours.

It has weird power save functions that aren't changeable. Needs to remain plugged in to function the way I want it to.

Of course for some reason it loves to think it is connected to a computer when it's not.:p

·
Registered
350 Posts
Wish mine lasted for 3 hours.

It has weird power save functions that aren't changeable. Needs to remain plugged in to function the way I want it to.

Of course for some reason it loves to think it is connected to a computer when it's not.:p
Don't know what model you have, or the last time you hooked it up for a firmware update, but my last update corrected a multitude of sins...

As for battery life, I'm not even at 3 hours, unless it's plugged in. That wouldn't do me for a day of riding, and my absolute lack of navigation skills, without it... Can't find the master bathroom from the master bedroom without a map...

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Nuvi 350.

Mine is at less than 2 hours of battery life now.

It's pretty pointless w/o plugging in. I don't really use it all that much. It's for emergencies only. I tend to memorize directions before heading out. It can't put in waypoints anyways.

·
745 Posts
I use a mapping Garmin 60Csx. I bought a power cable for it, but it goes 10-12 hours on two alkalines, so I haven't bothered to hook it up.

·
Banned
834 Posts
I didn't use an "arm" but rather used the cradle that came with my gps. I hollowed out the back of the cradle and used Locktite superglue to mount my cradle to the Ram mount ball. It's on so good that I will have to break the cradle off of the mount to remove it. Another option you can probably do is just buy the Ram cradle for your gps at the Ram mount website :RAM Mounting Systems, Inc.

I believe you can just attach the Ram mount cradle to the ball on the ram stem mount. I really should have went that route b/c I would be able to remove the cradle and use a camera mount if I wanted to. That's ok b/c I don't really care for the whole camera while riding camera view anyways. I like to see video of the rider riding by on the motorcycle with video shot from a car.

·
Banned
834 Posts
P.S. I don't know if y'all have attached any power to your GPS, off the battery (don't see any sockets). Those GPS units don't last very long unplugged...

I've run a socket accessory off the Battery Tender line (the wire runs in the crack between the tank and fairing), and I've zip-tied the socket itself to the RAM mount stem. Not the most aesthetic solution, but it works...

Yes mine is powered through a 12 volt outlet. I installed my volt outlet in my storage compartment, a much cleaner install. I routed the wires along the frame underneath the fairings. With the 12 volt outlet in the storage compartment I can even charge my phone in there while I'm riding and it is safely locked in the storage compartment.

Here is the video:

·
Registered
532 Posts

BKP, are you sure you have that installed right? The RAM mount is supposed to be flush with the stem nut, whereas yours seems to be up about 2 inches.

Although the OP did a good job of posting the installation, I also found this when I ordered mine online:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts