Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ran out of gas in highway today. My calculation about the reserve level indicator went totally wrong. Based on the reserve capacity indicated in the manual and my calculations of expected milage out of the reserve capacity, I should have very well able to reach the office and the gas station nearby. But it did not. The gas ran out a few miles before.

I was in the left lane in the two lane road and ran out of gas. Luckily it was a construction zone and the vehicles behind me were not that faster. Everyone was in the 45 to 55 mph range. There was a car just behind my back. I used hand signals to slow down the car behind me and let a car pass me in the right lane and then slowly pulled the bike to the right shoulder. There was'nt much shoulder in the right since it was a construction zone and blocked by safety walls. I managed to shake the bike and get some gas flowing in the tube. I was able to manage another mile and get off the highway and came to a complete shut down in a city street. Luckily one of the person in penske truck rental noticed me and offered some gas with which I drove to the nearby gas station to fill up. Thanks to that gentleman.

I'm not complaining about the reserve capacity. I should have filled the tank as soon as it indicated reserve. My bad. Calculations went wrong. Thought I was good at math. But my CBR250 prooved me wrong.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
When you finally got to the station, how much gas were you able to get into your nearly empty tank? Inquiring minds would like to know how large these tanks really are.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I filled the tank with 3.089 gallon. The penske guy gave me some gas generously so I don't stop again before I reach the gas station.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
80 km is about 50 miles... I'm thinking 35, maybe 40 miles to safely make it to a station under power. Why push it? (pun intended)

·
Registered
329 Posts
80 km is about 50 miles... I'm thinking 35, maybe 40 miles to safely make it to a station under power. Why push it? (pun intended)
I didn't have any other option when it happened.
Plus I rode in two, uphill, on the highway and was totally scared about running on fumes.
When I fueled up 12.50 litres I felt hugely better.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
3.43 gallon (13 litres) is the tank capacity and 0.37 Gallon (1.4 litres) is the reserve capacity. I was atleast expecting 24 miles from the reserve tank. But, I think 16 to 18 miles is all I got.

Now I'm calculating the mpg of my last fill up. It ends up at 58 mpg. As soon as I filled my last tank, I did the 600 mile break in service. Wondering if the gas mileage went pretty bad after the service ??? Also considering the dealer burt some gas during the service, how much do they burn? Will have to wait for this full tank to burn to get the correct numbers. But, definetely not going to let run the bike with just the reserve capacity ;) Enough is enough :)

·
Registered
329 Posts
I experienced the last 3 bars in the gauge are "not so accurate" so take them with a grain of salt.
Sometime the third lasts forever, sometimes leaves in a hurry.
At this moment (i.e.) I am at 240km with this tank and the third bar is there. I expect it will disappear within 20km.
Second and first bar are very susceptible, especially to variations up/down hill.
If last bar blinks, fuel up asap.

·
Registered
532 Posts
...If last bar blinks, fuel up asap.
Also, why would you want to run the tank down to fumes anyhow? I've always heard it is 'bad practice' to do so in that even if you don't run out of gas, you are sucking any crap/residue that has built up in your tank into your fuel pump/filter/lines/etc. Even though my car can go a good 100km or more with the low fuel light on, I always fill it up as soon as the light comes on if not before.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Also, why would you want to run the tank down to fumes anyhow? I've always heard it is 'bad practice' to do so in that even if you don't run out of gas, you are sucking any crap/residue that has built up in your tank into your fuel pump/filter/lines/etc. Even though my car can go a good 100km or more with the low fuel light on, I always fill it up as soon as the light comes on if not before.
Also on most modern FI vehicles with in-tank pumps the fuel helps cool the pump. So running it real low all the time lets the pump run hotter which can burn it up quicker.

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
Also on most modern FI vehicles with in-tank pumps the fuel helps cool the pump. So running it real low all the time lets the pump run hotter which can burn it up quicker.
Exactly right... Those who run their cars around on fumes, pay the price when they have to get their fuel pump replaced... A fairly expensive labor bill on late model cars, as you have to drop the tank to get to the pump. The fuel pump on the CBR is over $200.00, and that's the online discounted price. Your local Honda dealer would likely sell the same pump for $350.00 or more. Chances are it won't fail during your one year warranty either, unless you prefer to ride around sucking fumes on your new bike.

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I experienced the last 3 bars in the gauge are "not so accurate" so take them with a grain of salt.
Good advises here guys. I appreciate them. The last I rode any motorcycle is 12 years back and the ones that I rode all had mechanical gauges, no rpm gauge, probably simple speed gauge and a miles (Km where I lived) counter and in a different city and country where I could find a gas station in every corner of the street. Had a belief in these modern digital gauges and was dependent on it. Looks like not really the case. Think I will have to change a lot of riding habits in the US including filling up the tank once it goes considerably low. I learnt my lesson and 'am not going to let the indicator blink. Decided to fill it the moment it gets low. May be once it gets to 2 bars and not less than that.

·
Registered
160 Posts
If the reserve is .37 gallons and it starts using the reserve when it starts blinking, then you only have 18-30 miles at best, assuming you notice when it starts blinking. At that rate, I wouldn't push it past 10 miles.

MPG....Distance

That isn't allot of range. On my Triumph, normally always went 20 miles once the light came on, best was 35 miles and never ran out.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Here's what I learned through my experience over 13750 miles (22000 kms)...

- The best FE is obtained when ridden around 50mph (80 Kmph); We got about 94mpg (46 Kmpl)
- It also matters how soon you get to 50 mph, do it gradually for maximum FE
- Never trust the FE bars on the meter console. They're mere trick

Here's how the fuel vanishes when ridden in excessive of 80 mph (140 mph)
6th bar disappears around 15mi (24 Km)
5th bar disappears around 45 mi (72 Km)
4th bar disappears around 103 mi (165 Km)
3rd bar disappears around 126 mi (202 Km)
Didn't take a note beyond this

Here's how the fuel vanishes when ridden between 60 (96 Kmph)-75 (120 Kmph) mph
6th bar disappears around 17.5mi (28 Km)
5th bar disappears around 50 mi (80 Km)
4th bar disappears around 111 mi (178 Km)
3rd bar disappears around 139 mi (223 Km)
2nd bar disappears around 150 mi (240 Km)
Starts blinking around 165 mi (264 Km)

Here's how the fuel vanishes when ridden around 50 mph (80 mph)
6th bar disappears around 19.3mi (31 Km)
5th bar disappears around 71.8 mi (115 Km)
4th bar disappears around 134.3 mi (215 Km)
3rd bar disappears around 215 mi (345 Km)
Didn't take a note beyond this

·
Registered
329 Posts
Sounds right to me, too.
Even if I didn't ever managed to get 46km/l, even going 80kmh.

As I expected, third bar left suddenly about 10 km later.
But I was going slightly donwhill.
This morning, coming back the same way, uphill this time, the third bar show up again, for a couple of kms.

Fuel up when the gauge gets two bars left seems eccessive to me.
I can tell you for sure that if last bar starts blinking for the first time, 90% is a matter of fuel movement inside the tank.
You have plenty of time, from this point, to seek for the best gasoline seller within 30-50 km, since you can still, totally, afford this distance, whatever conditions you are riding (alone, with passenger, uphill, city driving).
The thing you can do in the case, if not sure where the nearest gas station is, you can use the throttle more gently.
The bike will appreciate.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I do the shake test sitting on the bike regardless of the fuel gauge, it's not accurate, I don't trust it, and this just further enforces my concerns. I've ridden for up to six days back and forth to work with my low fuel blink just blinking away, doing the shake test to make sure there was fuel of course.

I'm pretty sure this fuel gauge is for looks and looks alone, something had to go there, lol.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts