Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
(Passed the MSF course, picking bike up the 17th of this month, no previous riding experience prior to course) I know there a bunch of lame questions but I was just curious and would appreiate any feedback.

Can you park a bike vertically up a hill? and if so how?

When riding up hill is it any different than a normal road? What gear do you ride in?

Do you counter steer even when you take off from a dead stop?

For people that are new too riding, where did you practice before you were confident enough to hit the main roads?

Who has financed their bike? what was the process like and what type of payments are you making?

When you buy the bike can you drive it off the lot, and if so do you need valid insurence to do so?

·
Registered
3,789 Posts

Yes, point the front end of the bike uphill.

When riding up hill is it any different than a normal road? What gear do you ride in?

Depending on the steepness of the hill, and the speed you are travelling at, usually a gear or 2 lower than if you were level.

Do you counter steer even when your at a dead stop say a stop sign?

If you're not moving, you're not steering.

For people that are new too riding, where did you practice before you were confident enough to hit the main roads?

Off road.

Who has financed their bike? what was the process like and what type of payments are you making?

Country specific.

When you buy the bike can you drive it off the lot, and if so do you need valid insurence to do so?

Country specific.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Yes, front end pointing up (as already said). I'd also leave it in 1st rather than neutral so the engine can help hold it in place, and make sure you turn the bars. If parking horizontally on a hill, be sure the kickstand isn't on the wrong side of the grade, or the bike might end up on its side.

Depends on the hill -- Just don't lug the engine.

Depends. If I am positioning myself near a stop (say, crawling forward a few feet), then it steers with the bars, but once I start to move forwards at anything about 10km/h, you countersteer. I am a little surprised this wasn't covered in depth during your MSF course...

In Canada the course is 2 days in a parking lot totalling 16 hours of practice. I did that having never been on a motorcycle before (only bicycles), then moved on to residential riding on my own bike, then more major roads.

Paid cash -- N/A to me.

Country specific, but here in Canada the bike needed valid insurance to get plates, and needed plates to be on the road. The only way to get it uninsured/without plates was to have it picked up or delivered on the back of a truck.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts

Bob Dole says yes.

Whichever you need to get up the hill.

HUH? Sure? Put yer feetsies on the ground and hold her steady.

Practice on private roads or parking lots. Perferably as far away from civilization as possible but have someone spotting you at a safe distance just in case.

Depends on location. Avoid financing toys but if you must, 4% $88 monthly seems OK for this bike.

Uh yes you need insurance. Can you drive it off the lot? Yes if you have an M endorsement/license.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@Conundrum They did explain it but i didnt get the countersteering effect because im 6'3" and I was riding the off road bike at the MSF course which allowed me to turn the steering wheel like 90 degrees in both directions while everyone else was on crusiers with little handlebar movement.

@OLDMAN G I ment when you take off from a dead stop lets say while waiting to merge left in an intersection, but thanks for all the other feedback.

Thank you all

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
@Conundrum They did explain it but i didnt get the countersteering effect because im 6'3" and I was riding the off road bike at the MSF course which allowed me to turn the steering wheel like 90 degrees in both directions while everyone else was on crusiers with little handlebar movement.

@OLDMAN G I ment when you take off from a dead stop lets say while waiting to merge left in an intersection, but thanks for all the other feedback.

Thank you all
There's no need to consciously counter steer in normal conditions, you're doing it all the time really, you just don't realise it. It can be useful to consciously counter steer if you're say in a situation that you've entered a corner a bit too quickly.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
On driving off the lot. In Illinois and I think other states, you do not need to be licensed to drive your bike off the lot. At least as far as the dealer is concerned. The local police may have a different opinion.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts