Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed a new rattling noise on my bike and was wondering if this was a problem. I hear it only around the 3000-5000 RPM range. The rattling noise gets slower or faster as the RPMs change. It's the same whether it's moving or revving while standing still in neutral. The noise goes away when the engine warms up.

I noticed the noise after getting an oil change. I'm not sure if it's related to the service. The oil level looks its on the upper line of the sight glass, maybe slightly above.

Any thoughts on whether is something to be worried about?

·
Registered
271 Posts
You may also look at the cam chain tensioner. It's generally noisy at lower rpms.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the tips. I still have the rattling noise even when the bike (and therefore chain) is not moving, so I think the problem is probably not with the chain.

The big thread about rattle has a long discussion about many different potential causes. One idea that caught my attention was that incorrect valve clearance could cause a rattle. I'm not at the 16,000 mile mark for a valve clearance inspection but well past the time recommendation in the manual of 24 months. Is it worth checking now? I have about 12,000 miles and owned this bike about 6 years.

·
Registered
1,842 Posts
Thanks for the tips. I still have the rattling noise even when the bike (and therefore chain) is not moving, so I think the problem is probably not with the chain.

The big thread about rattle has a long discussion about many different potential causes. One idea that caught my attention was that incorrect valve clearance could cause a rattle. I'm not at the 16,000 mile mark for a valve clearance inspection but well past the time recommendation in the manual of 24 months. Is it worth checking now? I have about 12,000 miles and owned this bike about 6 years.
Mufasa was talking about the cam chain. That is a part of the engine and moves when said engine is running.:wink2:

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Usually valves that are out of adjustment make a "ticking" noise, not so much a "rattling" noise.

How long does it run before it stops making the noise?

Any idea what oil they put in it?

If it was mine, and I wanted to know everything was OK, I'd drain the oil (looking for any metal chips) and check that the the filter was in correctly (I'd reuse it), then fill with Rotella T5 10W-30 blend.

I'd probably also check the valves.

If both checked out fine, I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Rattling sound after an oil change is normally the oil filter fitted backwards and the engines wrecked through reduced lubrication.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
Rattling sound after an oil change is normally the oil filter fitted backwards and the engines wrecked through reduced lubrication.
Right - I would want to check the oil filter right away before starting the engine again.

If they (shop) installed it incorrectly there's going to be a problem.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Usually valves that are out of adjustment make a "ticking" noise, not so much a "rattling" noise.

How long does it run before it stops making the noise?

Any idea what oil they put in it?

If it was mine, and I wanted to know everything was OK, I'd drain the oil (looking for any metal chips) and check that the the filter was in correctly (I'd reuse it), then fill with Rotella T5 10W-30 blend.

I'd probably also check the valves.

If both checked out fine, I wouldn't worry about it.
They used Spectro 4 10/40. Within about 5 minutes after starting up the noise goes away. The oil change was just over 2 weeks ago, and I have been riding almost every day. I don’t remember if the noises started immediately after the oil change.

If I can get a good audio recording of the noise I’ll try to post it here. I need to buy a few things before I can drain the oil (funnel, bucket, new oil).

·
Registered
228 Posts
You wont need to drain the oil to inspect the filter. there is only 1/2 a cup full in the housing.
Rest bike on the side stand, remove RH faring and belly pan, 4 bolts for the filter cover, have a catch pan under the housing to catch any dribbles.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
That oil is fine, and won't cause any problems, though I prefer 10W-30 (Rotella T5) for the CBR. As noted, no need to drain all the oil or replace it. Just make sure it's always up to the proper level. That's critical with the CBR.

Pull the oil filter cover and have a look. If it's like my CRF150R filter it will say "This side out" or something on the filter. Hopefully it's in correctly and you can check that off the list.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is the amount of oil that comes out when I remove the filter enough that I need to add new oil in there?

·
Registered
228 Posts
Rattles that stop after a short period of running are usually heat/expansion related, so piston slap maybe?

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I don't know, if he rode the bike every day for two weeks I doubt it could be the oil filter. Wouldn't that have shot the engine by now?
That's probably true. I don't think it will run that long if it's not correctly installed.

I'd just want to know for sure, since he said it started after the oil change.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I checked the oil filter; it was installed correctly. Is the valve clearance the next thing to check?

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I checked the oil filter; it was installed correctly. Is the valve clearance the next thing to check?
Wouldn't hurt to check it, but the 600-mile valve check was mostly needed on 1st year models and even on those many times they were found to be in spec with no adjustment needed. That was the case on my 2011. The manufacturing problem that caused some valves to need adjustment after 600 miles was addressed in later models from info I've seen here on the forum. Then again you don't know how the previous owner rode it, so it would be good to do for peace of mind if nothing else.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Wouldn't hurt to check it, but the 600-mile valve check was mostly needed on 1st year models and even on those many times they were found to be in spec with no adjustment needed. That was the case on my 2011. The manufacturing problem that caused some valves to need adjustment after 600 miles was addressed in later models from info I've seen here on the forum. Then again you don't know how the previous owner rode it, so it would be good to do for peace of mind if nothing else.
I bought this bike new in 2012 so there's no previous owner. I did have the valve clearance checked at 600 miles but no adjusted was needed. What kind of riding causes the valves to drift? I have about 12K miles on it.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts