Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anybody know how to move the rear brake pedal down a little bit? The dealer was a little unclear with their instructions and right now when I rest my foot on the pedal, the weight of my foot alone is enough to depress the brake quite a bit.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
don't know how to adjust the pedal but i know i don't ride with my foot on the pedal though. when i'm riding i usually have my toes pointed out slightly. my right foot mimics my left with the ball of my foot just to the side of the brake/shifter. i only put my foot on the brake when I'm going to use it. hope that helps.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yeah you shouldn't be resting your foot on the pedal while you're riding for two reasons. First you're gonna burn up your brakes quick, including the fluid. And second your brake light is constantly on and not only is annoying to anyone behind you it also gives them no warning at all when you're about to stop. That's a bad habit you need to break asap.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Does anybody know how to move the rear brake pedal down a little bit? The dealer was a little unclear with their instructions and right now when I rest my foot on the pedal, the weight of my foot alone is enough to depress the brake quite a bit.
Mine's actually the other way around -- I have to push it down quite hard before it even does anything. I'd love to know how to move it up a tad so I don't have to 'stand' on it so to speak (the CBR125R I used for the safety course wasn't like this).

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the dealer showed us the nut to adjust it with, however that same nut is right inline with cylinder so i dont know if turning that nut to move the lever, which it will do, will also mess with the brake somehow which i dont want to risk.

i think i will stick to keeping my foot off of the pedal

·
Registered
341 Posts
Mine's actually the other way around -- I have to push it down quite hard before it even does anything. I'd love to know how to move it up a tad so I don't have to 'stand' on it so to speak (the CBR125R I used for the safety course wasn't like this).
And here I was thinking I was the only one. On my last bike the weight of my foot was just about enough to get the brake light to come on but on my CBR I have to make a concerted effort to engage the rear brake. I compared it to my buddy's bike and his rear brake is noticeably easier to activate.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
i dropped mine down at least an inch..maybe 2....there are 2 nuts.. loosen one on the metal shaft leading to the rear brake towards the rear... roll the shaft one way or another to raise or lower ..then re tighten nut...i think thats how it was..been awhile actually...keep in mind you will have to adjust the brake light switch as well..as simple as turning the top half one way or another as well

its kinda like adjusting the gear shift lever on the other side of the bike..im pretty sure there are one or 2 old ones on the brake lever and 2 or 3 on the gear lever..you can search for those threads from the search box at top of page if you want to read them..

·
Registered
532 Posts
Spdklls, thanks for the info -- It looks like the OP double posted and Aufitt also chimed in the other thread with more details:

-Hold the 10mm hex on the brake master cylinder rod with an open end spanner
-Using a 12mm open end spanner loosen the locknut.
-Adjust the rod to desired height, (check it while wearing your riding boots)
-Tighten the locknut.

Mine is set very low, about 20- 25mm down from std and lower than the footpeg.
http://www.cbr250.net/forum/cbr250-...005-rear-brake-pedal-position-adjustment.html

As I only have 82km, I might leave mine for a while in case the rear brake is just weak due to break-in, however I have my doubts and figure I'll need to raise it a touch to be to my liking. Essentially when riding at about 10km/h I had to literally stand on it to make the bike slow down (with most of my weight), which doesn't seem right to me. I really liked the rear brakes on the 125s at the course, as with moderate pressure I could slow down, and with a hard push I could threshold brake the rear.

Note to Mods -- Could you possibly merge these two threads down into one?

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Does the brake pedal feel spongy? That sound like a lot of pressure to have to apply regardless of position. I think you should check to see if your brake line needs bleeding. That sounds like air in the brake line as opposed to pedal adjustment.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Spdklls, thanks for the info -- It looks like the OP double posted and Aufitt also chimed in the other thread with more details:
Thanks for all the help guys.

I know I double posted it, I put it in the maintenence thread first and saw 3 times the amount of people were viewing general discussion so i thought id get a quicker answer that way :D

·
Registered
532 Posts
Does the brake pedal feel spongy? That sound like a lot of pressure to have to apply regardless of position. I think you should check to see if your brake line needs bleeding. That sounds like air in the brake line as opposed to pedal adjustment.
Mine sort of does actually -- so you might be on to something (although I'm surprised it would come that way from the factory). I take it you bleed the rear brake the same way you would a car (open valve, pump brake)?

·
Registered
9 Posts
This happened to me the other day too. As I stopped at a red light, the lady in a car next to me asked why my brake light kept flashing on and off. I then figured out that I put my foot on the brake the whole time. I did some research later on then found out that the proper way was to put the ball of your foot on the foot peg and move your foot forward when you need to apply the brake. Here is a link that discusses about that: Body Positioning And Steering Techniques - Sport Rider Magazine

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
bleeding the brakes is the same process as on a car. i haven't had to bleed mine yet so in not sure if there are any tricks but i believe i've seen some posts on it. try a quick search and see if anything comes up.

·
Registered
221 Posts
bleeding the brakes is the same process as on a car. i haven't had to bleed mine yet so in not sure if there are any tricks but i believe i've seen some posts on it. try a quick search and see if anything comes up.
Exactly the same

·
Banned
1,894 Posts
This happened to me the other day too. As I stopped at a red light, the lady in a car next to me asked why my brake light kept flashing on and off. I then figured out that I put my foot on the brake the whole time. I did some research later on then found out that the proper way was to put the ball of your foot on the foot peg and move your foot forward when you need to apply the brake. Here is a link that discusses about that: Body Positioning And Steering Techniques - Sport Rider Magazine
The sensitivity of the brake light is adjustable. Just look in the manual!

Or just look behind the rear brake pedal where the big black plastic piece is with the plastic screw on top. Adjust it using that.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Its a good thing to have your brake light flash on and off while at a stop light. I always blink my brake lights at a stop so the people coming up behind can see me better. I seen somewere they make brakelight modulaters now.

·
Registered
175 Posts
There is a rod connecting the rear brake pedal to the master cylinder. On the bottom end of the rod are 2 nuts. Hold the bottom one and loosen the top one. Rotate the shaft to raise or lower the pedal then lock the 2 nuts.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts