Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
501 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Rear shock spring too stiff... is it just my butt?

I weigh 174 pounds, and I found the number two spring setting to be cruely harsh, and the softest setting is only marginally acceptable to me. A softer-yet setting would be nice, and it's hard to imagine riders closer to a hundred pounds don't find the spring rate too harsh even on the lowest setting. I am thinking Honda's choice of spring preload settings is a victim of the huge load capacity of this bike. I mean, with my 174 pounds on board, the bike has almost another 200 pounds carrying capacity, so I guess the majority of spring settings have to accomodate those heavier loads. But seriously, who's going to load this 250cc bike with the 366 pounds it is rated to carry, whether with passenger or luggage? I would think a 250 pound rating with a softer spring would meet the needs (and asses) of more riders.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I weigh 174 pounds, and I found the number two spring setting to be cruely harsh, and the softest setting is only marginally acceptable to me.
Agreed. When I bought mine I was sure it was on the firmest preload setting. Nope, number two.

They need to steel some inch pounds out of the back and stuff them in the forks.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I weigh 174 pounds, and I found the number two spring setting to be cruely harsh, and the softest setting is only marginally acceptable to me. A softer-yet setting would be nice, and it's hard to imagine riders closer to a hundred pounds don't find the spring rate too harsh even on the lowest setting. I am thinking Honda's choice of spring preload settings is a victim of the huge load capacity of this bike. I mean, with my 174 pounds on board, the bike has almost another 200 pounds carrying capacity, so I guess the majority of spring settings have to accomodate those heavier loads. But seriously, who's going to load this 250cc bike with the 366 pounds it is rated to carry, whether with passenger or luggage? I would think a 250 pound rating with a softer spring would meet the needs (and asses) of more riders.
I weigh 250lbs and the rear sag is around 50mm with the front probably around 37mm. If I increase to five I might have less sag in the shock, but the front will be even worse. When I hit a reflector on the road it feels like a curb. You are the weight I feel is what the engineers had in mind, so I think the shock just sucks. Try setting it at 1 and when that doesn't work get an after market shock that is sprung for you.

·
Registered
164 Posts
So I am not the only one who think the suspension is stiff. I am probably 150 loaded up with winter gear and it barely sag when I sit on it. Although the bike feels composed and stable at speed, the suspension doesn't obsorb any bumps and left you know about it. I think the shock is probably the biggest problem. Does anybody make an after market shock or is there a direct swap?

Cheers,

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I'm 80kg and I dont think it too bad on the std (2nd softest) setting, but only 3000km on it so far so it might soften, its the fork dampening that needs work first.
I have a suspension tuner coming to the trackday so I will share what he recommends.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'm 80kg and I dont think it too bad on the std (2nd softest) setting, but only 3000km on it so far so it might soften, its the fork dampening that needs work first.
I have a suspension tuner coming to the trackday so I will share what he recommends.
I got a local guy checking on importing Race Tech springs and emulator for me, also sent message to RT asking how much postage would cost, 2 Days no reply yet. $300 for items postage probably half again.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
I got a local guy checking on importing Race Tech springs and emulator for me, also sent message to RT asking how much postage would cost, 2 Days no reply yet. $300 for items postage probably half again.
PM me when you have them.

And as far as spring preload (the only adjustment)-
I hope you folk are measuring your sag when you are winding up the rear preload (rideheight) adjuster?
less sag will not make the suspension any firmer and will make the bike worse unless you need it,.
It will cause the suspension to top out and break traction when you need the rear planted. the more sag the better (within specs) 25-30% travel is a good ballpark starting point.
This is measured fully laden in your riding gear sitting neutral on the bike while it is suported by someone.
If you then run out of static sag (ie unladen) then you need a spring change.
Then also the front and rear must be balanced.

Google preload adjusting.

·
Registered
220 Posts
You could consider increasing the cushioning capacity of the seat.

It does a pretty good job of reducing the harshness over poor surfaces, without any handling penalty, and costs rather less than a rear shock absorber.

·
Registered
323 Posts
So I am not the only one who think the suspension is stiff. I am probably 150 loaded up with winter gear and it barely sag when I sit on it. Although the bike feels composed and stable at speed, the suspension doesn't obsorb any bumps and left you know about it. I think the shock is probably the biggest problem. Does anybody make an after market shock or is there a direct swap?

Cheers,
Race tech makes a shock that replaces the entire stock unit and makes it their gs-3. The also have internals for the fork. I will be installing both this month and will let everyone know what I think. I heard their one of the best. Just in case you do your research and decide that race tech is the way to go they are offering a 10% discount if you send in a toy for a local children's hospital by the 20th of December. Ask them for details.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
:) my bike was Race Tech's doner ,I'm 250 lbs the bike has there front springs & valve,the rear has there GS-3 shock on it WOW & this coming from someone with Ohlins on my other bikes. :D go for it :eek:

·
Registered
282 Posts
Race Tech's GS-3 is not available from their website yet. YSS also make rear for 250r, $470usd from Tyga Performance.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Email them. I'm getting the front and rear done for around $1400. The rear shock must be completely replaced and mine is around $1000 with the options I chose.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Email them. I'm getting the front and rear done for around $1400. The rear shock must be completely replaced and mine is around $1000 with the options I chose.
Way too steep for me. That makes the overpriced Yoshi seem like a steal. I wonder what mods could be done to the stock shock to soften the high speed compression.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts