Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 40 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Race tech makes a shock that replaces the entire stock unit and makes it their gs-3. The also have internals for the fork.
Have put in an order for the springs and valves, but they haven't got back to me on postage, also trying a local, no word from him either.:(
How much was the price for the basic gs-3, what options did you get and how much.

·
Registered
323 Posts
Have put in an order for the springs and valves, but they haven't got back to me on postage, also trying a local, no word from him either.:(
How much was the price for the basic gs-3, what options did you get and how much.
I think mine was basic, ride height and remote tank $1099 before discount. I don't know if they will charge for shipping, but it is ups ground so it can't be that much.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I think mine was basic, ride height and remote tank $1099 before discount. I don't know if they will charge for shipping, but it is ups ground so it can't be that much.
Thanks for the info, but yeah a bit rich for my blood too. Especially as the rear feels like it's doing the job for me, the front on the other hand does not instil the new rider with confidence.(lucky for me that's the cheaper fix)

·
Registered
999 Posts
My work is seasonal so I have to survive the next two months of poverty then come spring I'll be saving every spare cent I make to do this mod.

My goal is to have by mid to late summer, the Race Tech shock and fork springs & emulators.

**** the cost.. An exceedingly well handling bike is priceless.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
:confused: suspension not showing on there web ,e-mail them or call sales, they have them :D a riding pal just got them .

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
The rear spring is not available from Honda separately so it may not be real easy to even get the shock assembly apart to fit a cheap after market spring. Too bad as there are top notch tuning companies here that could custom wind something for us for $50 each in a group buy. The stock rear shock/ spring assembly is $330 so too expensive to buy one just to play around inside it.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I weigh 90kg ad have not found the right setting yet for the rear shock. I personally think it is more a damping issue though. I find that going over a bump I feel the bike thudding into my arse and then dropping down. I would prefer a slightly faster moving shock (I hope you understand what I am saying even if I have not used the right technical terms).
In the end I have splashed out on a YSS shock from TYGA performance for the CBR250R. When it arrives and I fit it and set it up, then I will post my opinion.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
link?

From what you are saying, hitting a sharp edged bump kind of launches you out of the saddle and then the bike wollows low and then back up as you settle back into the saddle. This does sound like too much high speed compression damping/ stiction/ restriction and changing the spring only won't help. Do you have a link? I went on Tyga USA and couldn't find the YSS rear shock and I refuse to pay $1000 for one of the designer shocks just to fine tune something that really isn't that big a problem.
I weigh 90kg ad have not found the right setting yet for the rear shock. I personally think it is more a damping issue though. I find that going over a bump I feel the bike thudding into my arse and then dropping down. I would prefer a slightly faster moving shock (I hope you understand what I am saying even if I have not used the right technical terms).
In the end I have splashed out on a YSS shock from TYGA performance for the CBR250R. When it arrives and I fit it and set it up, then I will post my opinion.

·
Registered
282 Posts
^ Tyga Performance not Tyga USA
from what I've read about YSS they are a cheaper made copy of a european brand (ohlins I assume) longevity being the major difference.

·
Registered
269 Posts
i'm a lot lighter than you guys and i would think if the rear shock spring is too stiff for you guys it would be WAY too stiff for me. i changed the springs on the 600 because it was practically tossing me off the bike when i went over bumps. i don't find it to be a problem on the 250, and it's definitely a lot softer than other bikes i've ridden. i'd just be careful about getting something too soft and bottoming out the suspension or having too much movement

·
Registered
260 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
So cranking the ride height higher made the ride softer?
I too, was being bounced off the seat when going over bumps. The rear shock was set at the factory at level 2 and i weigh in at 220 lbs. I got the shock up to level 5 and the ride difference was impressive in a good way.

I found the following links/articles to be helpful.

www.sportrider.com/motorcycle_suspension_guide/index.html

www.sportrider.com/tech/146_0308_set_your_static_sag/index.html

www.sonicsprings.com/catalog/tech_articl...95eb952a7b4b3d3e7800

·
Registered
260 Posts
So cranking the ride height higher made the ride softer?
It decreased the distance the shock had to travel to absorb the bumps which resulted in a much smoother ride over the bumps I normally encounter. So in a word Yes. Now when going over the bad areas that i tend to have to frequent the bike has become much more tolerable.. You should set the rear shock adjustment based on the rider weight. (SAG) I used the articles I liked to for rule of thumb measurements and went from there.

I do notice that I feel slightly higher when riding but it is barely noticeable when at a stop. I have also noticed a difference in my cornering after this adjustment, the bike just feels more stable.. Again, adjust the shock to the right level based on rider weight (SAG), don't just crank it to 11 to see what happens.

21 - 40 of 51 Posts