Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking around for options to replace the rear shock and have only been able to find two. the racetech rear looks amazing but is quite pricey at around $1300 and the only other i have been able to find is the Elka shock that is the spec for the Canadian CBR250R Challenge race series. The Elka is a little more wallet friendly at around $600 but looks to only have rebound and preload adjustments. doesn't the stock rear shock have the same adjustments and if so what would make the Elka any better?

·
Registered
323 Posts
If you are planning on keeping the bike get the race tech and don't look back. You never have to worry about how much better a great shock is because you already have it.

·
Registered
158 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I'm one of those guys that hates making an uninformed decision and spending money on a product only to find out its not what I wanted. That being said, I'm not afraid to spend money on quality. After touching the ball of my foot on the road in a corner yesterday I know I need to get rid of this saggy shock set up.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
We are not allowed to change shocks for our 250 production race series.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
you should move to Canada then. I'm not sure why they would change the regulations fort the challenge here without making it global but this is the first year that they have had the category here. Elka shocks are made in Quebec so there is that Canadian link also. that said the rear shock does only have preload and damping adjustments although i think its a better quality unit.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I can get a deal on penske shocks. I can get an even better deal if we can get a group buy. I made a thread on this but nobody seemed to want to spend the money worth spending.
How much is a good deal on the group buy?

·
Registered
455 Posts
I might be interested as well.

·
Premium Member
437 Posts
:) I have the race tech shock on my CBR250RA ,and in this case it is BETTER than the Ohlins :eek: (which I have on all my other bikes) :D

·
Registered
504 Posts
JRI is also another option I have not seen mentioned in here.

Penske makes some good shocks and I had one on my old GSXR race bike.

·
Registered
132 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I got a JRi shock through thermosman and its awesome. I haven't tried any others though.

Not sure if JRi fixed it yet, but the original design requires a bit of frame shaving (not as much as the r6 shock though).

Sent from Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
235 Posts
The JRI web site -http://www.jrishocks.com/products/product.cfm?cat_id=12&prod_id=19 - doesn't list the 250R as a supported bike. Not sure I want to grind into my frame.

Any feedback on the YSS shock from Tyga Performance? No high/low separate compression adjustment, but otherwise looks good. Let me know if you have one and what you think.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts