Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 · (Edited)
AUFITT,

Your wisdom is undeniable. But if I may...Rather than using a mallet. After just finger tightening the axle I use a 5 or 6mm hex key and place it between the sprocket and the chain and roll the tire backwards so the hex key is "wedged" between the two. Snug but not trying to cut the key in half. Then hold the tire in place with my shin, then torque. The pressure of the key forces the axle forward evenly against the adjusters. And nobody calls the cops for you beating a defenseless motorcycle with a mallet. Can't be too careful now days. And if the adjusters were moved then measure from the center of the swing arm pivot cap to the center of the axle, do this on both side to be sure both sides measure evenly. Just my thoughts....Oh crap here comes the sh** storm. ;-)
The Nylon mallet is not to beat the bike up haha,
its just to seat the axle forward.
Best way is to tap the starboard side forward while taking up chain tension with your finger.
This is done with the nut slightly tight but still half a turn from being fully seated.

Putting anything between chain and sprocket is a No no for me.
A lot of the overtightening is caused by the fact that once the axle is tightened, another 5mm goes out of the required play.

There is NOTHING wrong with a looser chain, alignment is more important.

*ps, this thread was made for Dudeman who although being a guru for all things motorcycling, could not change a wheel,
.... and we had a forum epidemic of destroyed chains on brand new bikes from owners thinking the chain slap was something to do with the bike instead of their poor throttle control.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
My Current bike is an ex auction bike (owned by new rider, then written off at 1 month old, then converted to race bike),
chain is badly stretched, this shouldn't even happen in 30,000Km let alone a 1000km old bike.
Its now got 3200 track km on it and chain needs replacing as the high speed vibrations are shocking (can hear it on gopro footage) . when its got 30mm play at its tightest, its 50mm at its loosest.

All because someone must have read on a 250 forum that a chain should have bugger all play.

Its a myth that loose chains cause snatchy throttle, that is caused by the nut on top of the fuel tank.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I run a very loose chain as well. The chain has to be loose to allow the swing arm full travel, especially on the track. Running hard on the gas and then hard on the brakes lifts and drops the rear suspension regardless of how smooth a rider is. The swing arm has to have room to travel the full range of motion so the chain, sprockets & shaft don't get trashed. And now I am forced to reveal my secret. The hex key adds 5mm of play so I set mine to 30mm then torque the axle nut this put me at 35mm play and my bike is happy. If a noob sets their chain too tight following my method they end up with an extra 5mm of play and maybe that would help them to not trash their bike. I think both our methods are good. I agree that alignment is important. Short of a laser set-up, i think measuring from the pivot is pretty straight forward, cheap and easy. I run a 13t front sprocket and a 108 link chain with the adjuster just in the green from the red and that is good for me.

P.S.

I sincerely would like to thank Aufitt as well as many of the other senior members for sharing the info, advice, guidance and even manufactured items that they do on this forum. I for one would have wasted a lot of time, effort and money during my race conversion were it not for them, besides it's a lot more enjoyable to learn from the mistakes of others then to remake them yourself. Stay safe and ride smart.

Reactions: Aufitt

·
Registered
1 Posts
One thing I'd add to this is be careful to not mix up the spacers. The two spacers are different sizes. If you do happen to mix them up the one that goes on the brake side of the wheel is about 1/4 inch bigger than the one for the sprocket side. If you mix them up the wheel still will go back on but the disk for the brake will rub against the brake assembly and the wheel will not spin freely.
My thanx thanks a lot

21 - 24 of 24 Posts