Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I am new to street riding but have been an avid dirt bike rider for about 7 years. I will be taking an instruction class very soon, and I just want some of your opinions on a good, reliable first bike. My local dealer has a 2010 CBR250R, with around 1000 miles. What would be a good price to pay for this bike? Should I go with something that is maybe a little older, or would this bike be perfect? I appreciate any feedback from you guys!!

·
Premium Member
147 Posts
I think it is a good bike for a new street rider. (some caveats to follow) It's also good for old heads like me. I've been riding for 35+ years and like you, started in dirt.

Have you sat on the bike? Are you comfortable on it? Some people prefer cruisers like the Rebel or a more standard position (Like a Suzuki TU250X)

What type and distance do you plan to ride? Are you carrying gear?

Do you think you'll want to do some dirt? Is a Dual Purpose a better choice?

I decided to buy the CBR because of what I read, the type of riding I plan to do, the fact that I just liked it, and I wanted to buy from the local dealer (who sells Hondas)

If you sat on it, feel comfortable, and think it's the bike for you, I'd agree that it's a great bike for a first time street rider. Around here, It might sell for $3,000 - $3,500. (estimated - I only saw one used when I was looking)

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
For your first bike an older used one without a lot of bodywork is a good idea IMO.

I also recommend never financing a cycle, especially your first. Whatever you buy, make sure you have money left for a full set of quality riding gear.

Jay

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I already have most of my gear. I just need a nice jacket! The CBR feels really comfortable while sitting there. I have not driven it because the dealer will not allow me to test drive without my endorsement. I do not want a dual sport because I already have my trail bike, just looking to add a nice street bike. I plan on traveling back and forth to school every day, and just to cruise around, both country and city roads. I do plan on paying cash for the bike, because I do not have much credit.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok its been a couple weeks and nobody else has given much feedback, so I have a new question. Would you recommend I sell my 04 Honda CRF230 to get a 2011 CRF230 dual sport? Or should I stick with my original plan of just adding a CBR250?

·
Registered
501 Posts
I bought a 2009 CRF230M, which is really a blast on the twistys and when the pavment ends i can keep going. Then i bought the CBR250R because i want a street bike for the twistys. Its always better to have one of each as the CBR cant be taken off the pavement when it ends.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
Is the CRF230F street legal? If so, keep it until the CRF250L comes out (it uses the same engine as the CBR250R) and get that, using the 230F as a trade in.

If the 230F is not street legal, keep your 230F and get a true street bike as well. Maintenance costs on a dual sport/dirt bike are higher (esp. tires!).

Personally, I'd sell a bike privately and go for a cash price on the new bike as the trade-in value is usually well below what you can sell the bike for with good maintenance records.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hey guys, I am new to street riding but have been an avid dirt bike rider for about 7 years. I will be taking an instruction class very soon, and I just want some of your opinions on a good, reliable first bike. My local dealer has a 2010 CBR250R, with around 1000 miles. What would be a good price to pay for this bike? Should I go with something that is maybe a little older, or would this bike be perfect? I appreciate any feedback from you guys!!
I bought my 2011 2 weeks ago. Be wary of used bikes or cars for that matter. The leasing terms are much different and they may try to peg you with a rate of above 20%. I was looking at a 2011 with 1098 miles on it and they wanted to finance it to me for 3 years @ 25%!!!!!! I ended up buying a new 2011 with 4 miles on it and am at $90 a month with a 4.99%.

Also, I took the novice MSF class and it was VERY informative. LISTEN in full DETAIL to the course instructors as they provide many of the answers to the written as well as the riding test.

I read that you have experience with dirt bikes but treat that course as if you have no idea how to ride at all. Ditch any bad habits and keep your head and eyes up at all times!

Good Luck!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Ok its been a couple weeks and nobody else has given much feedback, so I have a new question. Would you recommend I sell my 04 Honda CRF230 to get a 2011 CRF230 dual sport? Or should I stick with my original plan of just adding a CBR250?
This depends entirely on what you want the bike for. Due to my long commute and the rising cost of fuel, the CBR was an easy choice for me. I originally went into the dealership wanting a Ninja but the dealer sold me on the CBR almost immediately.

While stock it looks like a complete pushover, I really like what I see when browsing the mod threads at some of the member's CBR's.

It cost me $12.51 to fill up yesterday and I'm good for another week. Can't beat it!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey guys, I appreciate all your responses! My dealer has a brand new tri-color for 4000, and then a red/silver bike with 28 miles for 3800. I am assuming those miles are from test rides, but do you guys think I should go with the tri-color with 0 miles or save some money to get the red? I love both paint schemes....which one are you partial to?

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Whats $200 when it comes to financing? End of the day whats your flavour?? Tri or Bi? Either way ou get an awesome bike. As a previous poster said..Dirt and street are two different animals. MSF for sure. Congrats on either choice, and welcome

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Hey guys, I appreciate all your responses! My dealer has a brand new tri-color for 4000, and then a red/silver bike with 28 miles for 3800. I am assuming those miles are from test rides, but do you guys think I should go with the tri-color with 0 miles or save some money to get the red? I love both paint schemes....which one are you partial to?
BUY NEW!!!!!! Unless the used terms are do able.

I bought mine new because the % was @ 4.99 and my payments are under $90. The used 2011 with 1098 miles was 24% @ $110 per month.

How long will you have it? If you plan on keeping it for a few years than I say go new.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Apparently I am reposting my own post! :D

Buy whichever has the best rates with the best payments. New is always fun. My bike had 4 miles on it when I rolled it out of there.

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Is the list price the same on both? If so, there should be no difference.

Decide which one you like, then search around here for what people paid. Make an offer based on that, don't just pay "what they are asking".

And never, ever, buy their overpriced Super Duper Extended Warranty/Service Contract! Learn to do the regular maintenance yourself and just have them do the valves if you aren't comfortable. No need to pay someone $75 per hour (or whatever the shop rates are where you go) to change the oil and adjust the chain.

Jay

1 - 15 of 15 Posts