Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I just took delivery of my red/silver non abs ceebee on tuesday. rode is 90 miles home on the highway and she performed most excellently. I was trying to keep the rpms down and vary through the gears. Hope I didnt screw up any break in procedures..First thing I did when I got her home was black out the wheels with plasti dip. cheap, and makes the bike look 10x better!. Second thing I did yesterday was black out the windscreen. again, cheap and really cleans up the look. Will get more pics up in the morning, but let me know what you think so far, THANKS!!
(ps. sorry if pics turn out huge)

old bike:09 hyosung gt250r

New hotness:

wheels blacked out:

black out windscreen(crappy garage pics)

action video for your pleasure (pre mods) thanks to my bro

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Nice one on the new motorcycle.... Honda red is a good colour in my opinion, though many seem to favour black.

Running in is covered in one short paragraph in the Owner's Manual. In summary; take it a bit easy at first, but just ride it.

With new tyres, brake pads and so on, it is good practice to take it easy for a bit anyway, as you probably already know.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ha, yes, I have been taking it easy on her, havent ridden consistently in a year and a half so I'm taking it easy, not too easy though :)

·
Registered
137 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the purchase. I have the red/silver also.

A couple of questions though.

1. Did you pull the wheels and do the plasti-dip yourself? If so, how difficult was the process and I would be curious as to how the coating holds up over time.

2. After you ride the CBR for a bit, I would be curious to how it compares with the hyosung (which is an amazing looking bike)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks! I did not pull the wheels. it would have been much easier to spray, but I didnt want to deal with getting them back on yet lol. I just masked everything off that I didnt want painted with tape and plastic bags. It was hard to get into a few places but it was super quick and overall pretty easy, even if you overspray, its comes right off. I didnt remove my windscreen either, just masked off.

My bro plasti dipped his wheels and it has held up great! I

loved the look of the hyo. but it got wrecked whilst my brother was riding it by some 16 year old girl who only had here license for a few days and snuck out the house.

The cbr compared to the hyo is much smaller but it has a better riding position, better mpg, Fuel Injection, lighter, more flickable, the hyo was murder on my 23 year old back lol. but it did have that 600 look and commanded respect at the stop light lol. No dealers around me would even touch the hyo for servicing though , So me and my bro had to do everything on it ourselves. pretty easy to work on. I would probably still have it if it werent for the wreck.

Both bikes are great. I've got 150 miles on the cbr looking forward to put much more on and give feedback to anyone considering to purchase one

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Could you PM me with in depth instructions on how you did this ^^

·
Registered
137 Posts
I just got through looking over my bike, and for the life of me I cannot see how you sprayed the wheels without taking them off. You are a much more patient man, than I. Also, did you spray the outside or inside of the windscreen?

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I just got through looking over my bike, and for the life of me I cannot see how you sprayed the wheels without taking them off. You are a much more patient man, than I. Also, did you spray the outside or inside of the windscreen?
+1

Looks like the outside but I am running to Ace to get some spray and going to look at doing it later on today.

·
Registered
137 Posts
So I bought some Plasti-Dip today and played around a little. I really like how it turned out, but I will peel it off and do it again. You cant see in the pics, but I bumped it while semi-wet and messed up a small spot. Overall, it seems this is amazing stuff. 6 bucks a can at home depot. I bought 4 lol, who knows what will end up black around my house :)

Sorry about the messy shop, it was raining outside so I had to take the pics inside. 1981 CB900F in the background....work in progress :)

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
+1

Looks like the outside but I am running to Ace to get some spray and going to look at doing it later on today.
I sprayed the inside its kinda tough to get all the way at the bottom, I messed up a little but you can't tell from the outside, and it doesn't bother me looking at it. I know eventually I will redo it properly

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I sprayed the inside its kinda tough to hey all the way at the bottom, i messed up a little but you can't tell from the outside, and it doesn't bother me looking at itn i know ecentually i will redo it properly
How did you tape off everything? Would a large trash bag with a hole for the windscreen to slide through be adequate?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Yea that would be fine I just took regular masking tape, and taped around and over the cluster, I actually used a shirt and some regular paper to cover the larger areas (like the spots where overspray could get to the fairings on each side),but a trashbag would work just the same. I think I'll just peel it off and make a video of me redoing it.

As for the wheels it does take some patience and small hands. I masked off the whole swing arm, brake assembly and chain with tape and plastic grocery bags. and then...kinda just started spraying thin coats. I was in a extremely poorly lit basement so I kept finding spots where I had completely missed when I got down and looked underneath. especially by the chain. If you are gonna do it. I recommend having plenty of light, and to rotate the wheel after each coat completely dries so you can ensure you gto full coverage, there are still a few small places I missed. I did a rush job because It was late and I wanted those bitches black when I rode to work the next morning lol. but you can't see the flaws at all really So I didnt bother to fix it just yet.

This bike is my commuter to work. I didnt want to put a lot of money into it because I'm also saving for a car, so small cheeeapp mods are all I'm going to be doing to it.

next on my list is red wheel tape from tyga and Dan moto GP carbon exhaust(I've read the mid pipe just doesnt fit and needs a little custom work to get it to fit and hang properly, but it sounds good and is MILES cheaper than Akra/yoshi, leo vince etc. even with the custom work should total less than $200. No way in Hell am I spending 500 on and exhaust for a 3800 bike. Thats just me though. I ball on a budget :). If I had the spare dough I would totally get a yoshi full system like TWISTDARIST on youtube. But for now clean and cheap is what I'm going for.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
How did you tape off everything? Would a large trash bag with a hole for the windscreen to slide through be adequate?

Also I didn't even think about doing this when I sprayed mine. Your way will probably be much faster and cleaner. a trashbag with a hole through it and just tape off the inside bottom and corners of the glass. (tight fit) I have tiny burger king hands though so it may be more difficult to get in there for others.

Thanks for all the interst! anything else ya wanna know just ask.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts