Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys ,this is Ratan from mumbai (India), i bought my cbr250r (ABS) on 19th jan 2012

it has just 130 kilometers on the odo till now

i have thrice taken my bike to 6.5k RPM ... apart from these 3 times, i always maintain the RPM below 5k rpm..

its winter here, and in the morning when i start the bike, i let it idle for 45 secs to 1 min..

i change gears at 4k RPM and top speed till now is 95 kmph at around 6k RPM on 6th gear

any recommendations ?? am i doing it the right way.. did i do a mistake of taking it to 6k rpm..

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
No, you'll do more damage by changing at 4k than 6k... still early in its life but keep easing it up to 7'5k then 8'5k then 9'5k over the next few 100km and vary the revs without loading it in too high a gear at too lower revs. 6-8k is where the torque starts and the engine is smooth.

But once its got 500 or more Km give it a flogging.

Or just read ther owners manual and translate to common sense.. there is a happy medium between the wide range of opinions you will no doubt get in this thread.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Since day 1 i have always shifted gears in the 6-7k rpm range.
Best thing i have read is to vary the rpm range alot during break in.
As in do not stay at (example) 7000rpm for long periods while cruising on the
highway.
After i did my first oil change at ~600km i started taking the revs up closer to red
line. I am now a bit over 1000km and going to be taking it in for its first service.
All i need is some decent weather. Still a bit too cold/snowy/rainy. I keep the bike in a garage on a battery tender and try to take the bike out for a spin every few weeks if i can. Only on sunny days with temps over 5c, atleast for 1-2hrs to get the bike nice and warmed up.

Bottom line about break in. read the owners manual. no where does it say to keep the rpm to a certain range. Just ride the bike.

and i will point out that i have seen many shows about building bikes/cars. Every one of them took the bike straight from the end of the assembly line onto a dyno and rode the bike hard thru all the gears for several minutes. If it was bad for vehicles the manufacturers would not be doing this on bikes 1min old. :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
So if I ride my bike down the FWY at about 75 MPH and it only has about 200 miles on it, is that bad?

I hope not because I don't really have anywhere else to take the bike at the moment other than to work, and that means FWY riding.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I alway let her warm up 3 bars before I hop on, she needs to be warm before I open her up.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ohh thanx a lot guys , actually the manual doesnt say much regarding break in , it just says avoid hard acceleration thats y wanted to know more from you guys... thanx for clearing the doubts :) cheers

·
Registered
17 Posts
It's very naughty. If the law decides you should be doing 55, you'll suffer a fate worse than death.

Speed limits are much higher in Cali (typically they are 65-70mph limits) and I usually go only about 5-7 over limit at most (because traffic is moving that fast)

·
Registered
107 Posts
One mistake a lot of people make in the break-in period is to use only a small rpm range. You really need to vary that a bit. This means riding slow, fast, all types of different things. It is not a fatal mistake but the bike will perform better long term if you do that instead of just pegging it as quickly as possible then cruising.

·
Registered
878 Posts
Lugging a new engine is probably worse than taking it to redline, under load of course!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts