Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Ok, I am rather particular about my cars, I have a PT Cruiser show car and a new Mazda 3 for daily driver.

I have the all the detailing stuff ready for my CBR, but am curious as to what everyone keeps available in the garage for their bikes?

My plan:
Chain Lube - Probably Dunlop, might try Motul.
Chain cleaner - ???
Oil - Maybe keep a bottle of Mobil 1 10-40 synth. as needed
Plexus
Battery Tender Junior
Star Tron

What else is needed.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Seems like u are good to go. Remember your riding a Honda . . Their machines are very reliable if one follows the maintenance procedures listed. I am convinced that one of the best things for the health of the bike is to keep it covered during down time.
Quest - Are u using the battery tender only if significant downtime for 250 or do you make sure battery is full charged monthly or what?

·
Registered
18 Posts
One other thought - it's your business but just curious why u r using mobil one synthetic vs Honda synthetic. I like using Honda's oil as it seems a lot easier shifting gears.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I plan on using the battery tender constantly because it is a staged monitor and significant downtime. I use a similar though larger charger on my PT because it has 3 batteries in it.

I just know I plan on synthetic after the break in period and figured Mobil 1 would be easier to find at any store. I guess I could just stick with the Honda synthetic too.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Tyre pressure guage and some chain lube.

And maybe some wd40 & some polish.

Its a Honda.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Everything listed plus cable lube and a little lube tool for lubing the clutch & throttle cables.

And some grease for the barrel shaped end of the clutch cable that sits inside the clutch lever housing. If not greased every once in a while it can fray and snap. One good thing about the Honda is that rubber boot that covers the pivot point. It'll help keep dirt & moisture out.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Skip on the Mobil 1. Nearly all of their product carries the 'Energy Conserving' stamp now which means it doesn't play nice with the wet clutch. Shell Rotella Synth carries JASO certification (Jap. Motorcycle foundation) and is safe for your clutch/bike. It's also cheaper than Mobil 1. Good deal huh!

I've run Rotella in my FJR for over a 100Km now. I had a leak down test done in the spring because I was curious and it passed with flying colors. Good stuff!

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
THANKS!

All great advice and some more things I need to get.

I did see that my local Walmart carries the Rotella, but I'll probably just pick up an extra bottle of the Honda stuff at the dealer.

·
Registered
999 Posts
One more thing.
Bottle of coolant for topping off when needed.
I hadn't thought of this at first because it's been almost 20 years since I owned a liquid cooled bike.

And a can of brake/parts cleaner. It's always good to have some around.

·
Registered
999 Posts
This probably goes without saying but..
Service manual & parts manual.

Edit: Parts "manual" may be misleading. It's a Parts "catalog" that gives you all the part numbers you will need to make ordering parts quick & easy.

·
Registered
999 Posts
are service and parts manuals 2 seperate books???
Can't say for sure as I'm still a couple weeks away from obtaining any manual at all but every bike I've owned had a separate parts book (which was usually half the price of the service manual).

This is the first Honda I've had in 26 years so I know not if they do things differently.

Edit: Just did an internet search. Service manual and parts catalog are two separate books. Parts book runs around $37 and the service book runs about $65 (ouch).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What do you guys think of those cheap cd-rom manuals that appear on ebay? I think I saw some for the CBR.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
FYI if you want to get the Star Tron fuel/ethanol stabilizer, Walmart keeps it in the boating section, not automotive, and they do carry Shell Rotella T6 5w-40 in quarts and gallon size.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i got one of those for my nissan, it wasnt very good quality if i remember correctly. but i didnt try printing it off.
i think if you found one cheap enough it might be worth it to print the manual off at work (if you could get away with it).
If I see one for cheap on ebay, I'll buy it and post how good it is.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Ok, I am rather particular about my cars, I have a PT Cruiser show car and a new Mazda 3 for daily driver.

I have the all the detailing stuff ready for my CBR, but am curious as to what everyone keeps available in the garage for their bikes?

My plan:
Chain Lube - Probably Dunlop, might try Motul.
Chain cleaner - ???
Oil - Maybe keep a bottle of Mobil 1 10-40 synth. as needed
Plexus
Battery Tender Junior
Star Tron

What else is needed.
I keep what is needed by the shop manual. For now, oil, oil filters, air filters, and chain cleaner and lube.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Owner's manual page 133 (or thereabouts, versions may vary). If for some reason you don't have it......

Engine oil:

After draining: 1.4 litre (1.5 US qt, 1.2 Imp qt)

After draining and oil filter change: 1.5 litre (1.6 US qt, 1.3 Imp qt)

After disassembly: 1.8 litre (1.9 US qt, 1.6 Imp qt)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts