Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I really want to get the idiot stickers off the tank and have read that a hair dryer and some WD40 can do the trick. However, I have also heard that WD40 isn't friendly to the paint. Anyone know the truth, or perhaps another way?

·
Registered
161 Posts
Peel them off then use some goo gone to take the residue off

·
Registered
928 Posts
Used hair dryer and WD-40, did nothing to paint. My other CBR I used the goo gone and dulled the paint.

·
Registered
350 Posts
+1 for peel and Goo Gone...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Heat, peel, goo gone worked for me. Just wash off the Goo Gone immediately after it does it's thing.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses! Judging by what you guys said, I'll just make sure to immediately remove the goo-gone/WD40.

·
Registered
119 Posts
some bug and tar remover (goo-gone) has a wax base, this is the product you want. Peel the sticker off, and use it all over the tank if you like. Turns out great, no residue, no damage to paint. looks way better without the stickers too....

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So...I peeled off the stickers and then used goo gone for the residuals. The goo gone worked great for removing the gunk, but then left an unremovable streaky mess on the tank. In the end, I enlisted my fiance to wash the tank as I used goo gone to remove the goo gone section by section. Tank looks great now and I have applied a pro grip tank protector. It's just a black, carbon fiber-ish pad.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
^ Glad it worked out. I have a theory that adding heat prior to the peeling leaves less goo to make gone and therefor the Goo Gone works a little easier. But it's just a theory.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I would also use Goo Gone on stickers but WD-40 is fine too and will not hurt the paint. We used WD-40 all the time to clean off the diesel residue that would accumulate on the sides of the new RV's, worked great as a cleaner.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I peeled mine off last week. Have to pick up some goo gone. What should I use to remove the goo gone? I don't want to mess up the paint. The dealer scratched the tank when they assembled it. I just brushed it off though. Still irked but no point bitching about it.

·
1,305 Posts
just i just used goo gone and a credit card.
washed the goo off after..
no problem

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I followed the advice on this thread, went to the hardware store, and bought a little bottle of Goo Gone. I put a little on a rag and the adhesive was gone within 1 minute! Thanks to all who suggested it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Ok. I feel stupid asking this, but can I use rubbing alcohol to remove the goo gone residue? Or is that no bueno?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts