Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK - This is for racing only, so please no responses on how stupid this mod is for the street.

I'm thinking of replacing the ignition module with a simple toggle switch. The wiring diagram shows only two wires into and out of the triple plug for the ignition module (RW and BR). But there are actually three wires to the ignition module.

I replaced the ignition with a toggle switch on my CBR600RR without any issues at all. Does anyone know of any issues to do this on the 250R? Also, do you know why there might be a difference in the wiring from the shop manual diagram and reality?

Thanks in advance for any help.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got a PM from 600k2 on this. So I want to give a public "Thanks"! I'll try his suggestion and then I'll post up results if it works.

Thanks!

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK - I figured out a solution. The diagram is below. You need to buy (i) a 9 wire connector set (the same as the connector set leading to the right handlebar switch), (ii) an inline 10 amp fuse holder (you can just pull the fuse from position 2 on the main fuse box, since that's the one its replacing) and (iii) a zener diode (1N4730A). Then wire it up per the diagram. Installed it on my bike today and everything works perfectly!

Attachments

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Final post on this, I promise (since no one seems interested)...

If you are thinking of doing this, PM me first. 600k2 has PM'd me with a possible weakness to my design that you should understand before you do this. I think it is low risk, so I'm sticking with my set-up, but I want to make sure you understand the risk before you do this to your bike.

In some ways, 600k2's proprietary approach is better than my open source approach...

·
Registered
228 Posts
Is that overkill, if you look at the wiring diagram the ignition switch is only 2 wire, replacing the key switch with a toggle is simpler that digging under thank and finding 9-way connectors, just unplug the 2 way, insert toggle on a 2-way or cut and add spade connector to a toggle switch, or am i missing something?

Attachments

·
Registered
242 Posts
Final post on this, I promise (since no one seems interested)...
Lol I was really interested as I track my bike too but didnt want to comment as electrics are not my strong point and some of it went over my head! :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is that overkill, or am i missing something?
That's what I'd think too, just looking at the wiring diagram. There's a third pink wire on the connector to the ignition switch, which is shown on my diagram.

A toggle switch off the 3 plug would work (with a zener diode to the pink wire), but the toggle would then need to be mounted and ugly up my pretty triple.

Per my earlier post, I actually ordered a toggle and was going that direction, but this is just about as easy/hard and is cleaner in the end.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If you want a simpler wiring, and you don't mind cutting and splicing into the stock wiring, you can avoid buying the new 9 wire connector (still need to buy a zener diode - love saying that... zener diode, zener diode, zener diode...) if you use the diagram below. You can also avoid the 10 amp fuse if you are willing to take the risk of running un-fused lines to your dash.

So, you now have 4 choices:

1. Toggle switch wired directly into the 3 plug (with zener diode and pink wire spliced into the black wire);
2. My simple set up (requiring cutting and splicing into stock wiring - riskier, but easier) below;
3. The setup I have on my bike (in my post with diagram above); and
4. Best of all, convince 600k2 to make more of his relayed solutions.

And now I will stop obsessing on this post...

Attachments

·
Registered
104 Posts
I have a toggle switch on my bike . You'll need a 9v battery . and a toggle . heavy duty to make sure it doesn't accidentally switch off. I've had that problem. Take the black and red wire from the ignition and run them to the toggle . Then pink wire from ecu to the positive on 9v battery . The ground the 9 v to frame . Its pretty simple.

·
Registered
104 Posts
And the 9v for the ecu is only needed to engage the fuel pump and is not required to keep the bike running . I have a special adapter for my 9 v that I made so I can disconnect it .

·
Registered
262 Posts
That's what I'd think too, just looking at the wiring diagram. There's a third pink wire on the connector to the ignition switch, which is shown on my diagram.

A toggle switch off the 3 plug would work (with a zener diode to the pink wire), but the toggle would then need to be mounted and ugly up my pretty triple.

Per my earlier post, I actually ordered a toggle and was going that direction, but this is just about as easy/hard and is cleaner in the end.
If the left controls were left on you could use the Hi/Lo headlight switch no? On my VTR I bought an aftermarket ATV $9 kill switch and mounted it on the left bar

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Re-opening this thread with a new question - Everyone said that the stock OEM kill switch is fragile. So, yep... mine has failed. I'm not yet sure what the failure is (might be some simple rust, as my last race was in a heavy downpour.

But before I dig into the existing kill switch, do any of you other racers use an aftermarket kill switch that is more durable? Presumably I would also need to use an aftermarket throttle housing (since they are attached in the OEM setup) - any thoughts on that?

Thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
504 Posts
Either use a relay or try this switch :
Yamaha # . . 5NG-83976-50-00

The Yamaha switch is for headlights on a WR 250/450 so I suspect it should be more robust compared to the stock kill switch.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Interesting - since my track bike is a conversion from street, I still have the stock headlight switch (from the left bar). Does anyone see any reason the stock CBR250R headlight switch wouldn't work?

·
Registered
262 Posts
No, I recommended that a few posts back :)

Reactions: kfox

·
Registered
104 Posts
So after using my toggle switch as an ignition and keeping the origional kill swith , adding the fog lights. My toggle switch has failed .. i kept everything else the same . Im much happier , along with the keyless gas cap . Best mods ive done

·
Registered
1 Posts
Is that overkill, if you look at the wiring diagram the ignition switch is only 2 wire, replacing the key switch with a toggle is simpler that digging under thank and finding 9-way connectors, just unplug the 2 way, insert toggle on a 2-way or cut and add spade connector to a toggle switch, or am i missing something?
Ok I been having this problem with my 2012 cbr 250 every ignition I buy dose not work so it is possible to bypass I hope this bike has been sitting all year parked I been going crazy so instead of giving my road king a break I been mostly riding it bought the 250 for my daily please clue e in what I need to get the bike back on the road ty

·
Registered
120 Posts
what's problem with your bike?
why are you replacing ignition?
do you have multimeter and know how to use it to measure voltage and current?

this is literally a 5-minute fix with multimeter. Heck, might even be 1-minute.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts