Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At about 640 miles I pulled the cylinder head cover and measured the valve clearance. This is possible and can be done but I thought it was difficult getting an accurate reading on the intake valves so I removed the fuel tank and tank shrouds for a good view and access. All 4 of my clearances were .007" - OK for intake but too tight for the exhaust. I measured again and calculated the shims I needed and ordered them and a couple of other parts. Installing the new shims was straightforward. I was very careful and used plenty of assembly lube. The clearances checked out just right after assembly and several turns of the engine.

I can't really notice any difference although with tight exhaust valves you might expect hard-starting but it is a new battery (and bike).

My wife was holding a light for me during clearance measuring and at my surprise they were all the same, she asked how could that happen? I told her somebody didn't tell the assembler the ones on the left are different than the ones on the right ...

·
Registered
323 Posts
Do you have the ABS version? I had something I think was ABS brake related directly above the head cover that made it extremely difficult to measure clearances. I'm just wondering if it may be worthwhile to remove the tank next time.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
My 250 is non-ABS. Removing the tank was was a bit of a challenge the first time but I think it will be easier to do again. There are just a bunch of hoses to disconnect. The fuel line connection has a retainer and rubber washer the service manual says to replace each time it is disconnected. It is worth removing the tank; so much easier to work on the engine.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I can second that. The valve clearance check on the bike is much more pleasant to do with the tank removed, wires cleared and rubber outta the way. The increase in visibility was a huge boon. It did take a lot longer because it was my first time taking the tank off, but I am one of those guys who takes the back roads to avoid traffic even if it is slower. My only regret is not purchasing a fuel controller to install while my bike is naked.

I have to buy something to clean the gasket goo off so let me know if anyone wants me to take some pictures when I get back.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts