Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've decided to replace my barrel myself to save some money, I got it back last Tuesday after some scumbags hot wired it and had it for a few hours before I got it back.

I've got the barrel out so I'm waiting until Tuesday for new one. My question is once I replace with new barrel, will the ECU need recoded or reset? I was hoping it would work as normal but now I'm worried this will be another expensive issue that I will need to pay out alot for.
Thanks for info.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Do you have HISS? If same decoder ring and key is used, it should work fine.

Otherwise, if you replace just mechanical guts of switch but leave electronics alone, it should work.

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
744 Posts
once I replace with new barrel, will the ECU need recoded or reset?
NO. Not at all. There is no mutual effect, except the matter of the PINK wire. In replacement parts (Aftermarket), sometimes the manufacturer does not install the diode, and you get the switch with two wires and not with three wires ... Do you have a picture of what you ordered? And also, can you take a picture of the switch you removed, maybe from several angles? Thanks
Look Here:

·
Registered
744 Posts
once I replace with new barrel, will the ECU need recoded or reset?
In other words: If the ECM does not get 9V from the PINK wire to pin 13, then the ECM will not let you start the engine (it is a theft protection mechanism).

Reactions: jkv357

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
In other words: If the ECM does not get 9V from the PINK wire to pin 13, then the ECM will not let you start the engine (it is a theft protection mechanism).
And that is the issue with most aftermarket ignitions, right? They lack a resistor or diode that drops the voltage, and the engine will crank but not start.

A search here should show you what to look for when you get the replacement ignition switch.

If it's not right - it's not going to start.

·
Registered
744 Posts
ZENER DIODES 5.1V 1W 1N4733A
Price: ~0.10 USD

·
Registered
515 Posts
Really depends upon whether he has HISS. With that system, there's no pink wire.

Also if all he's doing is replacing centre of ignition-switch to replace damage, then all electronics will remain same and will work as before.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Really depends upon whether he has HISS. With that system, there's no pink wire.
Denno we do NOT have a HISS(immobilizer) in our model CBR250R 2011-2013.
And we HAVE the issue with the PINK electric wire.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Is that same for UK bikes? My CBR600RR doesn't have HISS, but UK models do.

Even without HISS and having pink wire, if he changes just inside thumblers on mechanical parts of igntion-switch and leaves electronics alone, then bike will start just fine.

·
Registered
744 Posts
Is that same for UK bikes? My CBR600RR doesn't have HISS, but UK models do.
I to seen that you write and active also in the 600 forum, and it is clear that Honda like Honda may have components with similar engineering and ideas, this time it is not similar, we do not have an immobilizer. But it is clear that your experience and knowledge is like "overcomer fountain", and that's great that you are writing here as well, it contributes and helps a lot! Thanks!(y)

·
Registered
515 Posts
I suppose cost of HISS would add more cost to base model than $0,10 diode eh?
If only they didn't skimp on fuel-pump specs so much!

I suppose OP will tell us what he did. Might be British vs. American English translation. I understand "barrel" to mean "tumbler" inside ignition-switch that contains customised wafers for key. Or "barrel" may mean entire ignition-switch. In which case, yes he would
need to add $0,10 diode. Make sure it's oriented in proper direction! :)

·
Registered
744 Posts
I suppose cost of HISS would add more cost to base model than $0,10 diode eh?
If only they didn't skimp on fuel-pump specs so much!
Make yourself surprised:LOL: The CBR250R is a budget motorcycle, this is its definition according to Honda. In my case I was happy for the exact same reason(Limited budget) to get it without the unnecessary ABS system. And surprisingly the return exceeds all expectations. This was true for buyers in 2013, and in my case, purchasing a 2013 model in 2021, the return on investment formula is a huge winning formula. Most of us live on a limited budget, and purchasing the CBR250R 2011-2013 is a smart purchase with great value.
Might be British vs. American English translation.
On an international social network, like that forum, the language of conversation is a kind of Internationally-English . In the test of the result, it is quite rare for a writer to write in such a distorted way that I could not understand what he was talking about.

Reactions: DannoXYZ

·
Registered
744 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi everyone,

I've decided to replace my barrel myself to save some money, I got it back last Tuesday after some scumbags hot wired it and had it for a few hours before I got it back.

I've got the barrel out so I'm waiting until Tuesday for new one. My question is once I replace with new barrel, will the ECU need recoded or reset? I was hoping it would work as normal but now I'm worried this will be another expensive issue that I will need to pay out alot for.
Thanks for info.
Hi Jashen,
Sorry to hear you have to mop up after some depraved soul took your bike. I literally spent 2 weeks trying to get an auction bike to fire after buying a replacement (cheap chinese) ignition. Turns out the OEM ignition has a zenar diode that momentarily drops voltage to something like 9 volts for a quick handshake with the ECU and will allow for a normal start cycle. If you get everything wired up and do not hear the fuel pump prime you can almost bet your ignition is missing the diode. I hope this information helps. No reflash recode or reset needed.

·
Registered
2,186 Posts
Hi Jashen,
Sorry to hear you have to mop up after some depraved soul took your bike. I literally spent 2 weeks trying to get an auction bike to fire after buying a replacement (cheap chinese) ignition. Turns out the OEM ignition has a zenar diode that momentarily drops voltage to something like 9 volts for a quick handshake with the ECU and will allow for a normal start cycle. If you get everything wired up and do not hear the fuel pump prime you can almost bet your ignition is missing the diode. I hope this information helps. No reflash recode or reset needed.
This is the issue we are talking about with almost all aftermarket ignitions, for almost all applications.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts