Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
I had a lot of trouble getting proper values for this myself so I'm hoping to save somebody else the trouble down the road.

I can confirm that the larger frame bolts are 33 ft-lbs, while the smaller crankcase bolts are 7 ft-lbs.

If I had followed the values the local dealer gave me, I would have sheared all the crankcase bolts. Glad I checked when I took them off!

·
Super Moderator
6,949 Posts
You can't use an inexpensive, garden variety 3/8" drive torque wrench to tighten small bolts at a 7 ft-lbs. spec... those wrenches simply won't be accurate at such a low torque value.

For any of those crankcase cover bolts calling for 7 ft-lbs., the best route is to use a 1/4" drive ratchet with a socket to hand tighten them.

·
Registered
113 Posts
I borrowed a professional torque wrench from a friend, because I'm paranoid about such things. :)

·
Registered
2,291 Posts
I borrowed a professional torque wrench from a friend, because I'm paranoid about such things. :)
It won't matter if it is a NASA torque wrench if it is the incorrect range.

DO NOT USE a torque wrench on those smaller fasteners. Use appropriate sized tools (like Mike said) and common sense. Heavy on the common sense.

If you really have to use a torque wrench on the small ones, see if your friend has one rated in inch-pounds.
And if you are talking a steel fastener into female threads in aluminum, even that torque wrench may make you cry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.