Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, I'm looking to get back into motorcycling after over 20 years. I used to have a 1982 Yamaha XZ550RJ Vision 550 and Yamaha Virago 750 back in the '80s.

Over the past year I've lost over 100 lbs but I still weigh about 275. I'm still working on losing some more. I've been researching bikes for the last few years, looking at larger bikes but my weight loss has allowed me to consider smaller and lighter bikes.

I finally got to sit on a CBR250R at Honda of Glendale and to my surprise, it seemed to fit me fine. I've read posts from guys my size in this forum, and they seem to enjoy the CBR. I'm mainly interested in city riding with occasional forays onto the freeway. The CBR's low cost and excellent mileage interest me very much. I haven't sat on a Kawasaki Ninja 250 yet and I suppose I should, but the torquey nature of the CBR seem a better fit for me, and there's no Kawasaki dealer in my city but the Honda dealer is within walking distance.

Anyhow, I just wanted to introduce myself and say this is a very informative forum.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
It's a great little bike, but at the end of the day it is a little bike. Have you looked at cuisers?

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Surprisingly, I agree with L2R. At least partly. It is a small bike. You may like something larger a bit better, but I'm 240 and it has enough power for me. If you decide that 250cc is enough for you, you do not, in my opinion, even want to look at the Ninja250..I don't think you'll like the seating position, it's not fuel injected and the fit and finish is better on the Honda.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Greetings Tony in Glendale,

Welcome to the Forum. Welcome back to the Two Wheeled Revolution. The New 250's are much more advanced than the 70's & 80's. If possible, give then a Test Ride. They may have a few suprises in store for a Returning Rider.

·
Registered
928 Posts
My first bike was a 81 Yamaha XJ550 Maxim that I bought in 85. If you could fit on the Vision youll be fine on the CBR.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Honda dealers are having open house the next two weekends, I dont know if test rides are in the making but you could check. dates are on the honda web site. Do not go to Burbank Kawasaki, this crook is single-handedly trying to ruin the Kawasaki name.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the welcome!

No cruisers for me, I like my feet to be under me, not stuck out in front. My Virago was the "cruiser" of its day but its ergonomics aren't nearly as laid-back/feet-forward as today's cruiser bikes. That being said I would like to try a 750 Shadow RS before I buy a CBR250R, if I get a chance. The Shadow RS is more of a retro-standard than a cruiser.

I see myself getting a larger bike later, perhaps a VFR1200, but if I get the CBR250R I'll keep it even after I get a larger bike as I'll still want something nimble for around town.

·
Registered
879 Posts
If i were you i would think about something a little bigger maybe a 600. You already know how ride your not a newbe so get something you will be happy with in the long run. Its a great bike but it is what it is a small single cyl engine and not really something for the highway. Great job on the weight loss 100 lbs is a lot to lose. Welcome back to the two wheeled world and good luck finding the right bike for you

1 - 8 of 8 Posts