Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to pick up my CBR250 this weekend and am thinking of riding it the 160 miles to get it back home in order to get some of the break in out of the way. I will of course have a chase vehicle behind me to use flashers if I want to baby it up the hills. I'm not sure if I can keep it under 7500 rpm though. In which case I would just have to load it in my van and drive it home which would require removing the mirrors and windscreen. Discounting any speedo error, what is the rpm at 62mph/ 100kph? If you know your speedo error for sure, the information would also help me decide which vehicle to take. There is a video at youtube by Aling showing 100mph at 10,000 rpm but I don't know if the bike has been modified as it's numbers seem to be pretty quick.

·
Registered
319 Posts
just did a ride then, still thawing out from the cold

100kmh = 6000rpm 6th gear

·
Registered
10 Posts
You COULD always man up and do a hard break-in. Ride her the 160 miles home, and run her hard. Make sure you keep the rpms constantly ranging, from 4k to 10k, let her sing. Its a matter of opinion. Its often misconcepted that a hard break-in is somehow harming for your engine, but if you talk to a lot of the experts, they'll show you the results - hard break ins set your engine up for increased performance down the road. Be sure if you do the hard break-in to change your oil at about 250miles to get rid of any shavings or engine junk that may be in there from the manufacturing process, and sitch to synthetic. These are Hondas, you don't have to worry about working the engine hard, they're built for it.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
What's all this nonsense?

I am going to pick up my CBR250 this weekend and am thinking of riding it the 160 miles to get it back home in order to get some of the break in out of the way. I will of course have a chase vehicle behind me to use flashers if I want to baby it up the hills. I'm not sure if I can keep it under 7500 rpm though. In which case I would just have to load it in my van and drive it home which would require removing the mirrors and windscreen. Discounting any speedo error, what is the rpm at 62mph/ 100kph? If you know your speedo error for sure, the information would also help me decide which vehicle to take. There is a video at youtube by Aling showing 100mph at 10,000 rpm but I don't know if the bike has been modified as it's numbers seem to be pretty quick.
Are you a motorcyclist, or a wussy kid on a Christmas bicycle?

Is the thing a motorcycle, or some delicate piece of fine art?

Here's all the Owner's Manual says about the run in (or break in if you want to sound macho):

RUNNING-IN
Help assure your motorcycle’s future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 500 km (300 miles).

During this period, avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.

Get yourself into a decent jacket, gloves, boots and helmet and ride the bloody thing home...... alone. Take the scenic route.

Send the chase car ahead on the highway with a few to put in the fridge for the party to celebrate the discovery of your cojones.

I am assuming you are XY; my apology if you aren't.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No rpm limit?

Here's all the Owner's Manual says about the run in (or break in if you want to sound macho):
The manual doesn't mention an upper rpm limit during break in? Then I am good to go. I see other youtube postings of top speed vs rpm at 96 mph / 9100 rpm so 60-75 mph all the way home should be no problem as long as I can vary the revs up and down some in between cruising and make a couple short stops to heat cycle the engine.

·
281 Posts
+1 On riding it home.....maybe you will be more comfortable if you do a familiarization ride in the area of the dealership before starting out...get used to how it handles, brakes and shifts....then have fun and ride it home!

·
Registered
681 Posts
What's all this nonsense?

Are you a motorcyclist, or a wussy kid on a Christmas bicycle?

Is the thing a motorcycle, or some delicate piece of fine art?

RUNNING-IN
Help assure your motorcycle’s future reliability and performance by paying extra attention to how you ride during the first 500 km (300 miles).

During this period, avoid full-throttle starts and rapid acceleration.

Get yourself into a decent jacket, gloves, boots and helmet and ride the bloody thing home...... alone. Take the scenic route.

Send the chase car ahead on the highway with a few to put in the fridge for the party to celebrate the discovery of your cojones.

I am assuming you are XY; my apology if you aren't.
Geez... he hasn't even picked up the bike yet. Maybe he hasn't SEEN the manual yet. Give the guy a break. He's excited.

At any rate... good advice. Drive that puppy home.

·
Registered
400 Posts
if you feel safer hauling it home,then do so.but i doubt taking the bike apart to haul it home in your van is a good idea,as people here replaced their windshield and it wasnt a quick n easy job.

when i bought my cbr250(an hour n half away from home),i was new to motorcycles and just learned how to ride,so i didnt want to take it back home on the freeway.

my uncle hauled it home on the back of his truck then i rode it home from his house,he followed me with his 600.

in 6th gear at 6k RPMs the speedo says 55mph,65mph at 7k...

idk if your new to riding or havent rode in a while but just make sure u arnt going to stall in traffic so practice in the parking lot before u go,if its big enough at the dealership.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As a new rider in a big city I know I will not be comfortable riding my bike home from my urban dealership. ... that is if my bike ever shows up :(

I plan on breaking mine in on suburban and country roads outside the city limits.

Don't feel pressured to ride if you aren't comfortable. Have cajones, but have an even bigger brain. ;)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
The manual doesn't mention an upper rpm limit during break in? Then I am good to go. I see other youtube postings of top speed vs rpm at 96 mph / 9100 rpm so 60-75 mph all the way home should be no problem as long as I can vary the revs up and down some in between cruising and make a couple short stops to heat cycle the engine.
Time was when running in was a bit of a mission, and some people still do like to sound a bit technical about it now. With modern manufacturing and materials it seems it is not as crucial as it once was, though some manufacturers have fairly specific recommendations.

Honda pretty much says, just ride it, but don't go too hard out..... and I would suggest don't let it lug in a high gear at low revs, though you shouldn't be doing that anyway. For the early miles it is not just the engine that needs to be run in. The tyres will take a few miles to start to grip properly, the brakes will take a bit of use to bed in, and so on. It is probably a good idea to take it a bit easy, as Honda suggests, until the first service, when everything should be checked and adjusted or set up properly. Then it will be good to go hard.

Sorry if I do seem a bit harsh and cycnical. Being a bit of an old chappy compared to some on this forum Christmas, birthdays, new vehicles, new jobs and the like don't rouse the excitement that they once did.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Treacherous

The road is quite treacherous and there are no back roads that go from there to here. Follow route 17 from the dealer in Middletown, NY 10940, USA north east to Binghamton, NY on google maps with the terrain feature turned on. It is world renowned among driving enthusiast. Starts out heading up and down and up some more over the Catskill mountains, up from the Hudson river valley. Then, begins a long snaking criss cross through a 100 mile long white water river canyon. You look up 600 feet to either side and see no way out. Now add in the sport utility vehicles trying to escape from New York City for the weekend with their crusie control squealing the tires at 80mph and you start to get the picture. No prolem on a full liter bike. A bit of a question mark on an un broken in CBR250.

·
Registered
576 Posts
160 miles on your first bike?is along ride.
be prepaired to have fatigue from just not
being used to it.
i've rode different sized bikes for over 25 years
and i agree with cadave just use good judgement.

·
281 Posts
The road is quite treacherous and there are no back roads that go from there to here. Follow route 17 from the dealer in Middletown, NY 10940, USA north east to Binghamton, NY on google maps with the terrain feature turned on. It is world renowned among driving enthusiast. Starts out heading up and down and up some more over the Catskill mountains, up from the Hudson river valley. Then, begins a long snaking criss cross through a 100 mile long white water river canyon. You look up 600 feet to either side and see no way out. Now add in the sport utility vehicles trying to escape from New York City for the weekend with their crusie control squealing the tires at 80mph and you start to get the picture. No prolem on a full liter bike. A bit of a question mark on an un broken in CBR250.
Sendler, it kind of sounds like you should take your own advice and pick up the bike and haul it back without riding it. But rather than take it apart..can you borrow or rent a pickup truck? This way you can get the familiarity with the bike in more friendly surrounds....

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
If the un-broken CBR250 was a horse, I would be worried, but I think you are referring to a new motorcycle. It shouldn't be too difficult to control. Just ride. According to Honda you don't have to make a big deal about running in. Just take it a bit easy for a bit.

I googled the route and it looks to be a great ride. If you are an experienced motorcyclist, don't be a wuss. Do it; way to go to get a few miles on the bike.

The chase car sounds a bit dickie though. I associate that with tough looking bikers, who need a back up in case their Harley breaks down.

If you are new to motorcycling, truck it. Or get someone who is experienced to ride it home.

Shock, horror.... have someone else ride your pride and joy. It's just a machine. But there goes the old cynic again.

·
Registered
619 Posts
Ride it home like you stole it!
yeah, I agree, the faster you ride it, the sooner you'll get home.

If this is your first bike, then forget it. If you've been actively riding, you'll probably get incredibly sore, your butt will fall off along with your, well, you know what to expect. Keep telling yourself to relax and bring some snacks. GL

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Terrain

Here is the screen shot of the fun terrain I will be riding through. It's not me I am woried about as I have done three 1 1/2 hour rides on my Ninja in the last three weeks and am an avid mountain biker. There are two big hills comming out of Liberty that might require full throttle if I wanted to keep up with the 75 mph traffic. For that stretch I may end up easing up the inclines in the truck lane. After that the traffic will thin out so I can ride just about any speed and rpm I want in order to do a nice hard break in with rpm cycling and no steady speed droning.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts