Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
:mad: Was riding to my sisters house this morning to help install a hotwater heater and a stupid cager made the deadly left hand turn in front of me. I hit the brakes hard enough to leave rubber on the road. needless to say if someone was behind me i would have been a grease spot. i yelled in my helmet and gave him the one finger salute, hopefully he glanced back, funny thing is, i pretty sure he saw me at the last second due to the look on his face..gritting his teeth and a stupid eyes bulging oh sh** look.. Oh well another reason to listen to the saying that ive been reading in this forum for seven months. Ride like everyone is out to kill you..Be safe every one.stay vertical!!:D

·
Registered
45 Posts
I rode to work at 5:30 this morning, I take the back roads because it's a nice view and pretty straight forward. Of the 7 lights that I hit while going to work, 3 cops blew 3 different red lights. I am concerned about my safety, even when no one else but the people that are supposed to protect you are on the road.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Ride like everyone is out to kill you is right!!

No, in general it's not right; that likely exacerbates the situation.

Ride like other people don't notice that you are there..... it's true; often they don't.

Make sure they have seen you, and that they know what you are going to do.... if they haven't and they don't, be prepared to evade.

Try to work out what they are going to do as well. Noticing their position on the road, the direction of their front wheels, behaviour in traffic, and so on are more important than indicator lights.

Know what is going on behind you; use those mirrors, your ears, and that glance over your shoulder.

That being said, there are places which do have a reputation for car drivers behaving aggressively toward motorcyclists. If so, adjust your riding accordingly. Forget being macho; bear in mind who is more vulnerable. Keep plenty of distance between you and an idiot driver.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
Ride defensively, and always keep a cushion!!

·
Registered
311 Posts
Ride like you are the invisible man or woman riding an invisible bike !! Mentally prepare an action if the cager does not see you. Soon it will become a reflex action bypassing the logic area of your brain. Rehearse all situations in your mind, with a reactive escape reaction for yourself for every cager action.
If unsure, slow down and add to your cushion. That could save your life !!

·
Registered
269 Posts
^that's the way i've always heard it too, like you're invisible. you'll swear people look dead at you and still pull out in front of you. and when the realize they screwed up they're just like "oh sorry..." i always watch the front wheel of the cars near me. if they're about to do something you'll see it there first

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
One reason I like my Photon Blasters with their conspicuousity flicker...no one has pulled out in front of me..started to..but I can watch their front end drop as they brake hard a second after hitting the gas..

I was on my way bak to work last week on my dinner break..just gotten dark..and idiot in a big SUV pulled from a side street right out in front of me..and I was in my 4000 lb jeep cherokee thats lifted with 41x10x50's with a huge light bar and 4 auxiliary lights on top...and that idiot didnt see me?!? ..glad I wasnt riding my 350lb cbr that evening

·
Registered
636 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
One reason I like my Photon Blasters with their conspicuousity flicker...no one has pulled out in front of me..started to..but I can watch their front end drop as they brake hard a second after hitting the gas..

I was on my way bak to work last week on my dinner break..just gotten dark..and idiot in a big SUV pulled from a side street right out in front of me..and I was in my 4000 lb jeep cherokee thats lifted with 41x10x50's with a huge light bar and 4 auxiliary lights on top...and that idiot didnt see me?!? ..glad I wasnt riding my 350lb cbr that evening
so right!!i guess that the fact that someone pulling out in front of me on my moto could be catastophic and the fact that i have a roll cage and 1500 lbs. of metal around me when drivring my pickup gives me a total different mindset when im out on my moto..:)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Statistics can be looked at so many ways.
If you are new rider of less than 5 yrs experience you are hundreds of times more at risk.
If you are an experienced rider and have not had your big one.. chances are ya number is up soon.

Try not to bin shyt folks and enjoy the ride :)

·
Registered
160 Posts
Ride like everyone else is mindless is what I live by. I have ridden on and off for almost 40 years in Asia, mostly Indonesia. Not to indulge in one-upmanship, but here the risk factor can be incredibly high until you kind of accept the fact that people will do the dumbest things. The frequency (and general density of traffic) of this stuff in booming economies Asia where ppl suddenly have access to scooters is roughly about 200 times higher and in some ways getting worse (try three 12 year-olds on a scooter zipping out of a side alley with only shorts, t-shirts, and flip flops on, happens every 15 minutes). Yes, I've had my share of low-enders, the teeth gnashing sessions of nurses picking gravel out of my sides (legs, butt, arms) but that was mostly when I was being mindless of the fact that most riders and cagers are mindless....

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Every bingle is ours to deal with.. nobody elses 'Fault'.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts