Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is in the right section or not but i was asked in my "new to to forum post" to give a ride report so here goes. Will start out with this, im just under 30 years old and have never rode any kind of bike in my life. This is one of the reasons i decided to even look in the 250 class only. After comparing the cbr and the ninja for about a month i decided to go with the cbr (even tho i had to wait a month to even have to chance to get one). well after i got the bike delivered to my cause, because the dealer would not let me take it home cause of my license. i spent the first day or so just riding around the area i live in to first of all figure out how do ride a bike. Picked up on it surprisingly fast. started hitting some of the roads in town with only about 30 miles of riding experience. i dont really have any experience to base the bike to another bike but to me it handles like a dream. has plenty of power and handles better then i would have ever imaged it would. Today was the real test i took it out on the Highway for about a 80 mile round trip. The bike got up to 75 with no problem at all sitting about about 8000RPM. i didn't really push the bike much further than that because truthfully my riding skills are not ready for what i just did, and also didn't want to push it too hard cause the bike only has 230 miles on it now and its still getting broken in. i read there was lot of vibration in the 6-9000 rpm range but i didn't really feel it or it was not much a vibration to be an inconvenience. as for power dont be fooled its there. doing about 60 i can get on it and be at 75 with ease. well that's about all i have if you have any questions feel free to ask and ill try to answer them to be best i can.
Be Smart, Have Fun!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Where are you located/ Congrats on the new bike.
I just got mine too today and I also noticed the lack of vibration. Very smooth at least to my highest speed of 75. Tomorrows supposed to be sunny in the 70's so me and the wife we'll go out and do some riding.
Ride safe

·
Registered
636 Posts
Glad to hear you like your bike bigwill250..im a novice rider as well and im glad to hear about your ride!! how comfortable did you feel in 1st and 2nd gear torque wise? I am curious because i had a bad experience just this past march with a 600cc suzuki gladius..too much torque and inexpierience equalled totalled bike. i would just like to hear how comfortable you felt with the power especially in low gears..thanks..and congrats on the new ride!

·
Registered
928 Posts
Ive been riding for 25 years and the way this thing is geared feels like the easist user friendly bike you could get. Has enough power but not so much to get you in real trouble. Torgue is Nothing like a 600 or V-twin.
Only thing is it may be hard for shorter riders as it sits up pretty high.

·
Registered
636 Posts
that is extremely good to hear.. thanks for the input..i cant wait until this rain stops..maybe i should have invested in an ark ;-?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Im located in Southern Oklahoma. As far as torque, it has plenty of Get up and go, and i know it has more cause i haven't really pushed it to its limits yet. and i didn't really find the bike to sit very high im about 5'7 and i can stand flat footed on both sides. i rode it for about 3hrs with out getting off and it was overall pretty comfortable plenty of room to shift your seating position to different one if you so choose.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Guess I'll chime in here too, rather than making a separate thread. Here's my contribution:

Me: 31 years old, 230lbs, 5'4" tall. Stocky build. First time rider, with M1 license in hand and basic MSF class under belt. Bike is used for off highway/freeway commuting.

The bike is very, VERY user friendly and easy to ride. Torque is extremely manageable, predictable, and comes on enough to get the bike going, but not so much that it wants to throw you off the bike (you probably could achieve that, but it would take almost full throttle and dropping the clutch, IMO). Acceleration is more than adequate for getting up to speed, passing, getting out of someone's way last minute. It's not scary at all, like what I have read/heard about with other bikes that want to lift their front end under heavy acceleration.

Weight wise, the bike feels light and nimble. It is easy to push it around when getting out of parking spots, or to the side of the road when you have stalled in front of traffic like I have a few times. Clutch engagement is smooth and easy as long as you're not a nervous noob like me. Seat height is a bit high for me, but some taller boots and skinnier thighs will probably solve that issue for me completely, though I will never be able to flat foot either or both sides at a stop.

Complaints I have, possibly due to operator inexperience are vibration in the grips and stability when riding against strong wind. For now I'll chalk it up to needing to develop a better riding position and not putting so much weight on my hands, but we'll see down the road if that changes. For the wind, it may also be me needing to learn certain skills, but a strong side wind today made it seem like I was going to either be blown into the opposite lane or lose control of steering after counter steering against the wind.

Gas mileage is GREAT! Riding position is comfortable, and the tail section has been able to handle a few things bungeed to it without issue. So far the bike has been everything I have expected and everyone who sees it is very impressed with the styling, often commenting that "it looks just like a 600cc bike, only smaller." Kudos to Honda for making such a great little machine at such a killer price!

·
Registered
400 Posts
welp,im about 5'3,age 21,and this is my first bike.

the bike doesnt seem too tall,im flat toe'd on both feet at a stop.but i still might lower it in the future.

at first the throttle seemed a bit sensitive but im getting used to it.

im currently waiting for the Two Brothers cbr250 designed exhaust.as the exhaust is kind of quiet and not the sound id like at higher RPM.

i do get a lot of compliments on my bike from a lot of people.even girls asking me about riding and such. the bike gets a lot of looks for sure.also other riders wave,i was told this is a biker code?(to wave fellow riders)

what i dont like is the break-in period of the bike,and worring about being at 6k RPMs and over...(dealer told me try not to be at 6k or higher during break-in,which is 600 miles.)

i love the MPG vs cars and with the gas prices,its even nicer...i even look for excuses just to go out and ride it lol..take the longer routes,make extra stops.

the ride is smooth and id rather be sitting on my CBR then the bulky ninja250..ive only went to 60mph,but i didnt take it on the freeway,just in the city.

i plan to black out the rims/pegs/clutch/brake,new exhaust so i dont need to black out the stock one(might do it if it takes too long for two brothers to release the exhaust),and buy more riding gear.and might add in an audio system.

·
Registered
928 Posts
Break in period

From the manual according to Honda:
During the first 300 miles avoid full throttle starts and rapid accelaration, avoid hard braking and ride conservatively.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Thanks for the ride report. But as per manual, are you not supposed to push the bike so much, you have to be gentle on the throttle, else the engine might seize. What RPM range did you play with?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts