Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys / girls / animal / godlike entities / my tax man!

Names Martin, happy to meet you all (apart from the last one!).
Recently was given a few nerve wracking Pillion rides by a friend of mine and have fallen in love with Riding.

Still in the test phase, but he owns a Ninja 250r and and a triumph and suggested I come down the Honda route, so here I am! :)

I'm currently still investigating the bikes in the 250 rage and the specs eetc, but pretty sure I'll end up with a Honda.

Odd question though:
Dealers are giving me mixed information on the "last" part of the CBR codes.

CBR250R
CBR250RA
CBR250RR
CBR250R-B
seen a few others I think...

any chance anyone can clue me in?
I'm learning so hopefully should have all this nailed down and be a more helpful member soon!

Mouse :)

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
For the current (2011 on) single cylinder model, which is manufactured in Thailand and India.

CBR250R - standard brakes
CBR250RA - ABS brakes

From the mid '80s to the late '90s Honda produced a 4 cylinder 250 in Japan. The early ones were also CBR250R. In 1990 it was redesigned and became CB250RR. There are still a few around.

Honda have produced various other quarter litre motorcycles over the years. The models are identified with 250 and various combinations of letters.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for clearing that up!
Makes a ton more sense now, The dealers didnt really mention that the other makes where older bikes. But can be happily armed with this knowledge now!

I found the CBR250RA user manual on the Honda site, so reading about it now.
Bike seems to happily hit the speed limit in the UK, so not sure what the argument is for the Ninja ... Unless you want to break the speed limits ... or are a little heavier than me :)

Loving the perceived Honda reliability!

so any London based riders?

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
There are a lot of Americans on this forum, along with a few of various other nationalities, based in various countries. There are some from England, but I don't recall any from London.

I worked in England, seasonally (lambing, shearing, ploughing..... and 6 weeks on a building site in London one winter) in the 1990s. I had a CB250RS there for about five years, till it was stolen. It was a single that could be considered a predecessor to the current CBR250R. My base was a county pub in the north of Bedfordshire, that hosted (and probably still does) the Northampton MAG Annual Rally, and the Ariel Club Mid-winter Rally..... good times!

The Ninja is a twin that tops out a little faster than the CBR250R, but has a greater thirst for fuel. Good if (slightly) higher speed thrills are your thing.

The CBR250R is a single that has more torque available at lower revs, so it is a bit quicker off the mark. For an economical day to day ride it is probably the better choice, as a few on this forum who have owned both will testify.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts