Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did a search but found the info I want far to spread out so I am starting a new thread.

I am looking for some newe boots that will work well with our CBR205Rs but are still comfortable for walking. Price is a concern but I am willing to pay for quality.

Thanks
Norman

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have the Tourmaster Response 2.0 boots, above the ankle and love them. They were a bit stiff for my liking at first, but after awhile they start to feel really nice. Plus, they look like a normal shoe. I think i paid like $75 while they were on a special. I think they are normally like $90, so about what i pay for shoes anyhow.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Boots made for walking

I looked far and wide for boots. Not something I would buy online because size, toe box and heel width are concerns. Got a great pair of Bilt Typhoon H2O waterproof boots on sale at cyclegear. Had to buy a 12, normally wear 11. Put heel pads in them to get the fit right. I love them especially since they were $49 bucks on sale. Side zipper with big leather flap over it. They would be a little warm in the summer I suspect but good for every other season. Reinforced toe. There's a reflective stripe down the side. Plenty warm for buzzing around town in 30/40 degree weather. :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
It's pointless asking this on a forum. Everyone is going to say something different because it works FOR THEM.

If it's good to walk in, it's probably not the safest for riding. The best way I know is keeping an extra pair of shoes at work to change into. You'll just have to be creative and find ways to make it work.

·
Registered
66 Posts
This is true. When I'm talking about walking, im not saying they are comfortable for long long distances (miles and miles). Just walking through a store, or something like that lol. But usually if i know im going to be on my feet for quite some time, i put whatever shoes i want to wear in my backpack so it can tag along.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Reaction to responses

Beware of trollers on this forum who dis your comments or questions.

Yes, if you want the safest boot for riding, buy something made of diamond steel or iron. How many people wear the absolute safest boot for riding when they are using their motorcycle for everyday transportation, including riding to the store for milk or, god forbid, beer? You asked a valid question for many riders. How many everyday bikers are going to carry a second pair of shoes around to put on the minute they get off their bike to go shopping? I use to have a pair at work, but since I do little walking wear the boots I ride in. Some of these comments may be offered by trollers dissing other products or defending online shopping.

You whack your foot at 30 mph on a post with any boot and some part of your lower extremity is likely to get damaged. Yes, the Bilt boot I cited works for me for everyday use for riding around town for less than 8 miles per ride. I have no relationship with Bilt or the retailer. The Bilt Typhoon can be put on quickly, offers decent protection although I would prefer a high ankle lace-up with toe protection if I could find one I could walk around in. This boot may not work for you because they do not fit or for other reasons.

But we offer our experience on this forum to help others sort out the overwhelming number of choices in the marketplace because this forums helps you narrow down the options despite the commercial interest of some who comment. I appreciate the views of others even if I did not accept their advice. However, the dismissal of your question or an actual users comments should be suspect and is inappropriate. Why have this forum otherwise?

·
Registered
66 Posts
And we answered with a valid response. Someone said they like their alpine shoes, i like my tourmasters. And there are plenty of bikers that will have carry shoes if they know they are gonna use them. I work at a bank, so i have to either leave shoes at work, or carry them with me. That goes along with my coat/tie as well.

But i do agree with what works for some, doesnt for others. I tried on a pair of alpinestars that i absolutely hated, but have friends that swear by the exact shoe.. I wear tourmaster boots/jacket right now during winter with firstgear gloves and a SS helmet. I buy gear that is on special/closeout, so nothing ever matches lol.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good looking boots.

Realize this is off topic, but the Bean fleece lined jeans are great for riding in cool to cold weather. They wear well in the office after you are off the bike. I ride without over pants in 40 degree weather for a few miles without getting cold. With rain pants over the top one could ride for a good distance.

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
I've found Alpinestars S-MX 5 boots to be very comfortable, both on and off the bike. Would I wear them all day at work?... No.
Are they like walking (clodding) around in plastic ski boots?... Not even close.

As a general rule of thumb, footwear suitable for all day walking around comfort, is not well suited to providing adequate protection on a motorcycle.

My view may be somewhat narrow when it comes to apparel for motorcycling... I don't wear gear that is a compromise. Whether I'm riding on, or off road that's all I'm doing... motorcycle riding. I don't use my bikes to go shopping, pick up a loaf of bread, or to run other types of errands. For me, motorcycling is it's own purpose. Nothing else matters when I'm riding.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I wear a pair of brown Sketcher boots to work when I ride. Really comfortable a pretty inexpensive and they work well with khakis and jeans. They are also waterproof and they feel good while riding. They cover the ankle which is important. The sport rider boots look too out of place for me to wear to work. I'm gonna pick up a Black pair of the Sketchers to go with my next gear purchase Black/white Dainese jacket.

You can find them here... or at your local Khols, JCPenny.
http://www.amazon.com/Skechers-4442-Mens-Sergeants-Enlisted-Boot/dp/B002FGU9SUhttp://

·
Registered
229 Posts
Boots

I rode in high top work boots with soft toes until I whacked my toes and lower foot on a post after hitting a slick spot in a curve during the rain. Part of why I am commenting so much on this issue.

Off topic but hopefully useful, if you are a AAA member their supplemental accident insurance covers up to $1,200 in medical costs for injuries sustained on a street legal motorcycle. I have never used the coverage so not sure how good their claims process is, but signed up for it this year, $7.50 for the year, when I noticed this. Wonder if their towing provisions will allow motorcycle pickup if you've broken down?

·
Super Moderator
6,923 Posts
I rode in high top work boots with soft toes until I whacked my toes and lower foot on a post after hitting a slick spot in a curve during the rain. Part of why I am commenting so much on this issue.

Off topic but hopefully useful, if you are a AAA member their supplemental accident insurance covers up to $1,200 in medical costs for injuries sustained on a street legal motorcycle. I have never used the coverage so not sure how good their claims process is, but signed up for it this year, $7.50 for the year, when I noticed this. Wonder if their towing provisions will allow motorcycle pickup if you've broken down?
From what I've heard, AAA towing doesn't cover motorcycles, however I don't know that this is fact.

Membership in the American Motorcycle Association (AMA) offers members optional roadside assistance.

IMO, every motorcyclist should look at joining the AMA.

American Motorcyclist Association

·
Super Moderator
2,025 Posts
I love the C width in this Red Wing Pecos work boot; available in B through triple E widths. It ain't cheap, but I've worn them for 30+ years.

Product Detail

But for touring or significant dirt, I wear Sidi Adventure Rain boots. Waterproof and good ankle protection, but they are NOT walking boots.

More Product Detail ;-)

·
Registered
232 Posts
my icon reign arent to comfterable to walk in, thats why i carry some vibram fivefingers kso's in my back pack, light weight and doesnt take up much space at all. just change over to them when i get to work.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thank you for all the replies. My only transportation is the bike and I work two jobs, neither of which requires a lot of walking. I had would like to just carry a second pair of shoes with me, but usually don't have the room. by looking at all the different responses, I have a really good idea of what to look for.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts