Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
409 Posts
Specialized foot ware (like that for motorcycling) is going to be good for what it designed for but not necessarily anything else (like walking more than a short distance). If you want to do both, you may have to opt for something more generic (work boots or what was called 'engineer boots'). The reason you want motorcycle specific boots is mainly for protection (OK, some want them for style).

Motorcycle riding gear today is evolved from more generic clothing items of the past that were favored by motorcyclist. Unfortunately, some of the boots and jackets of the past would be considered marginal for protection today.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Haha, a thread where a bunch of guys talk about their shoes, this cracks me up a bit. Next we can discuss our nails, and take a group ride on our bikes to the salon. :)

Joking aside, I wear steel-toe leather boots that lace up, stopping above my ankle. It's required for my work (I'm an engineer and work in a lab environment) and conveniently my employer paid for the shoes. I'm not sure what the other women here do for their riding gear, but that is my solution. It isn't too cute, but it works and avoids the need to carry extra shoes around. If I were going somewhere for fun, I might take a change of shoes and leave my steel-toed pair tied to the bike. I doubt anyone would steal that.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Beware of trollers on this forum who dis your comments or questions.

Yes, if you want the safest boot for riding, buy something made of diamond steel or iron. How many people wear the absolute safest boot for riding when they are using their motorcycle for everyday transportation, including riding to the store for milk or, god forbid, beer? You asked a valid question for many riders. How many everyday bikers are going to carry a second pair of shoes around to put on the minute they get off their bike to go shopping? I use to have a pair at work, but since I do little walking wear the boots I ride in. Some of these comments may be offered by trollers dissing other products or defending online shopping.

You whack your foot at 30 mph on a post with any boot and some part of your lower extremity is likely to get damaged. Yes, the Bilt boot I cited works for me for everyday use for riding around town for less than 8 miles per ride. I have no relationship with Bilt or the retailer. The Bilt Typhoon can be put on quickly, offers decent protection although I would prefer a high ankle lace-up with toe protection if I could find one I could walk around in. This boot may not work for you because they do not fit or for other reasons.

But we offer our experience on this forum to help others sort out the overwhelming number of choices in the marketplace because this forums helps you narrow down the options despite the commercial interest of some who comment. I appreciate the views of others even if I did not accept their advice. However, the dismissal of your question or an actual users comments should be suspect and is inappropriate. Why have this forum otherwise?
Calling other people trolls with no base = troll.

Feel free to "offer your experience" and "help others" as you like but keep the self-righteous, high & mighty BS to yourself.

·
Registered
36 Posts
A good boot for all around use is the Matterhorn boot. They are made in the USA (PA) and can be re-soled. My current pair has been resoled at least 3 times and is still waterproof after 7 years. It is the military issue style, with a non-steel safety toe, lace up. I have the same boot in an insulated version for cold weather. Matterhorn makes a Kevlar-lined "chain saw" boot, which is also waterproof with a steel toe.
I've worn boots all my life on a daily basis due to motorcycle riding and due to working in them daily for the last 30 years. I also hunt, fish, and camp. Generally a "waterproof" boot is not that waterproof in the long run. But with the Matterhorn you can stand in water or ride in rain and not get wet feet. They are also comfortable to walk in anywhere.
The Cove shoe company which produces Matterhorn boots has an outlet store where you can buy a pair of their quality boots (seconds) for $100. This is in the center of PA near routes 26 or 655 and is a great place to ride to for fun. They do not always have boots in a particular size. They are a producer for the US military I believe. If you search on the internet you can get discounted prices as these boots are not cheap, but worth it.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts