Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you have heard, we have been inundated with historic rainfall in SC. I live in Charleston and my only form of transportation is my CBR. I have no trouble riding in the rain as I have excellent all weather gear. However, with this record breaking rainfall, there has been major flooding of streets that I need to traverse to get to work. What is a safe depth of water that can be forded? I have only been going up to my wheel hubs. Could I go deeper or is that already too deep? So far so good but I want to be ready for future flooding.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
various reasons for not, riding into deep water..
best not to, submerge your exhaust outlet in water..
the deeper you go the more water can get into
your systems including electrics..
deeper means less control thus more likelihood of
losing control and dropping her into the water..
[not a good idea]

if you cant see the road ahead then you cant see
objects or holes in the road etc..

at some point outside of serious emergencies
bow to reality and live to fight another day..

potential here isnt just getting wet as in rain etc,
but immersing your motorcycle under water..

having said that tho, may motorcyclists do and have
ridden thru pretty serious weather on their motorcycles..
most would draw a line, as in your situation..

·
Registered
611 Posts
Check the height to the air filter inlet, also the crankcase vent. Water in the air inlet, will stall the engine and possible engine damage. If the crankcase vent is submerged under water. Water can fill the engine and transmission cavities inside the engine cases. Possible engine and transmission damage.

·
Super Moderator
6,913 Posts
As many of you have heard, we have been inundated with historic rainfall in SC. I live in Charleston and my only form of transportation is my CBR. I have no trouble riding in the rain as I have excellent all weather gear. However, with this record breaking rainfall, there has been major flooding of streets that I need to traverse to get to work. What is a safe depth of water that can be forded? I have only been going up to my wheel hubs. Could I go deeper or is that already too deep? So far so good but I want to be ready for future flooding.
I saw the news reports on the flooding in SC... you need a small boat for those conditions. Seriously.

While a CBR250R can probably handle water depths in the area of 1 to 1.5 feet, the real hazards to be concerned with are those things you can't see hidden under the water. Attempting to operate a land based vehicle in flood water situations is very risky.

·
Premium Member
4,284 Posts
^awesome lolol

·
Registered
322 Posts
I ride year round in Brisbane. Which means riding through some pretty heavy storms. I draw the line at floods and hail. I'll either wait it out under cover, or park up for the night and find another way home. From Australian tv message: if it's flooded, forget it.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Dude, you're on a contact patch the size of your palm, anything, I mean almost anything can make that contact patch too slippery to control the bike.

If you can't see what you're riding over, on, against, near it's a bad idea. Do you even know what an edge trap is?

·
2,015 Posts
I have to agree, if you aren't doing the activity shown below, regularly, don't consider riding in deep water. Too many downsides (pun intended).

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I ride year round in Brisbane.
I'm in Townsville. Luckily this year we didn't get any cyclones. There was a couple days I didn't ride once, not due to the amount of rain, but the strength of the wind, and debris all over the roads.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks to everyone for their advice. I had the bike inspected today and all is well. It's as tough as I hoped it would be but I will do everything I can to avoid riding through deep water.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts