Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will riding with dead battery affect fuel pumb,i guss the engine produce enough current to run fuel pumb? Need help

·
Registered
272 Posts
As my stator died while i was riding. If you keep the revs above 5500 rpm it will ride ok but lower than that it dies.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
I believe that it also shortens the life expectancy of the rectifier, at least it did on bikes 20 years ago.

Reactions: jkv357

·
Registered
6 Posts
Why would it shorten life of rectifier? If you have shunt-type rectifier*, load on it will be exactly same whether it's charging battery or not. And bad battery will actually draw less current from rectifier than bad battery.

* Shunt-type rectifier always runs at 100% full-load. Regardless of how much bike uses (lights, ECU, battery-charging), flow through rectifier will always be 100% of stator output. The split between consumption may vary:

5+3+2+15 to ground = 25amps (2-amps charging good battery)
5+3+0+17 to ground = 25amps (0-amps charging bad battery)

Total load through rectifier is exactly same.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
Well, I'm nearly 80 so some things have changed since I was 18. This is part of it tho:

There are different reasons why the regulator rectifier fails. One of the top causes is heat. Some motorcycles are known to have the part located near the radiator or other locations that are either close to heat producers or restrict air flow. Depending on the location of the regulator rectifier, the part can easily overheat. Other causes for a dead regulator rectifier center on the battery. Ground connections are important for good voltage, and if there is faulty voltage, the regulator rectifier can run hot. Bad grounding, corroded battery connection and poor or loose battery connections will cause faulty voltage.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Hey Danno - good to hear from you!

For those that don't know him, having Danno on-board with a troubleshooting thread increases the chances of finding an answer by a factor of 10!

Jay

1 - 9 of 9 Posts