Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In hardware store today buying cover and bungee cords for upcoming tour. Saw an electric pump and tire gauge combination that wasn't too big and threw it into the basket. Now I'm home scratching my head trying to figure out how to access 12 volt dc on the bike without taking the fairings, tank, tyres and handle bars off (I'm exaggerating, I would just take the handle bars off :p).
The gizmo comes with clips (i think in English you call them alligator clips?), a set of cables with male/female fitting things, cigarette lighter type plug, and one set of wires with rings on the end that look like for being bolted on to terminals...
Somewhere in this forum I remember someone rigging an outlet for recharging mobile phones with cigarette lighter fitting but can't remember where. Help!

·
745 Posts
IMO, the cleanest way to get power on the CBR (or any bike) is with a Powerlet (Outlet Information - Learning Center - Powerlet Products). This is the system BMW uses, and it's a much more secure outlet than the cigarette lighter. You could install one either with a hole through one of the tank side panels, or with an L-bracket.

Keep in mind that a pump will probably consume more power than any of the wires under the cluster. The powerlet (or a properly wired cigarette lighter plug) will support at least 15 amps.

Whatever you do, be sure to fuse it properly. In 30 years of firefighting, I've seen a lot of vehicle fires that occurred because an unfused lead shorted to ground.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Luke - thanks for the tips. Tried accessing that link and it told it me it was "forbidden: You don't have permission to access /powerOutletInfo on this server."
I think in the end I might get a Honda mechanic to give me a hand. Twenty five years ago I had my old Matchless catch fire on the way home one night, burnt out all my lights. (yeah i rigged it), so good advice.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
A simple search of the words "motorcycle cigarette lighter adapter" on Amazon.com or even Ebay or just Google it...will result in several hits for the power adapter you need...I put one on my bike from Amazon for less than $10....come to think of it..i have posted the link to the adapter i bought in a minimum of at least 8 other threads in here about gps's,cell phones..or just power adapters in general... so there are numerous threads in this forum about that subject

·
Registered
35 Posts
A simple search of the words "motorcycle cigarette lighter adapter" on Amazon.com or even Ebay or just Google it...will result in several hits for the power adapter you need...I put one on my bike from Amazon for less than $10....come to think of it..i have posted the link to the adapter i bought in a minimum of at least 8 other threads in here about gps's,cell phones..or just power adapters in general... so there are numerous threads in this forum about that subject
Yeah, Pretty much! Then once you have the Cigarette Power Adaptor, simply hook it up to the battery under the seat. I've done this and then used a relay hooked up to the fuse box to switch it on and off with the ignition.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I am installing this in a tank bag next season.
Fuzeblock FZ1 (relay is allready built in as well as a way to chang the 12volt to constant or not)
and on the out side of the tank bag will be quick connects that will be hooked to a fused 12volt main line. That way I can also put most of my plugs and electronics in the same bag with out making a hole in the body. It should make it easier for trouble shooting as well as in the rare case of replacing a fuse. Since it is all right there and not under a seat or a gas tank. Plus if I want to unplug it and take it in for some reason I can do that as well.

·
Registered
206 Posts
and since we are on this note..
does any one know what the safe total amp draw would be for additional items? There has been speculation as what it might be but does any one have a educated guess or better?:confused:

·
Registered
220 Posts
You could find out with a voltmeter, after switching on all the bike lights by adding additional devices (lights are the easiest things to add as you just have to sum up the wattage) until the voltmeter reading drops to less than 13V @ 5000rpm. At that point the battery is still getting charged - just about, so can continue to provide the juice for accessories drawing that electrical load over and above the load consumed by the bike's electrical system + lights. If you are not going to use your headlamp while using your accessories, you can add an additional 50W to the figure.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I finally just rigged the outlet that I found at the bottom of the box of the electric pump/gauge thingey. When I want to use it I just pop the pillion seat and plug it in. Later on (next year) I will figure out something for power when I am actually riding, and tyalk to Honda mechanics re grounding etc. Thanks for all the in out everyone.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts