Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

had my chain and sprockets replaced. specifically told em I want a rivet style master link instead of the clip on that they initially showed me.

does the picture show that it's a rivet style? not too familiar with chains and sprockets but I've seen a few YouTube videos that show the difference between rivet style and clip on master link. looks like it's a clip-on and I'm missing a clip(?)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts

had my chain and sprockets replaced. specifically told em I want a rivet style master link instead of the clip on that they initially showed me.

does the picture show that it's a rivet style? not too familiar with chains and sprockets but I've seen a few YouTube videos that show the difference between rivet style and clip on master link. looks like it's a clip-on and I'm missing a clip(?)
You are missing a clip, and they also screwed up your oring on the other side of the clip.

The shop over pressed the link and ruined that link. You cannot ride like this, your chain will come off.

This is the clip style, not rivet.

That is why people put Silicon over the clip.. But yeah they most likely put the clip on the wrong way. lol

·
Registered
830 Posts
Man, that could be dangerous...You need to contact Honda on this....not to be a snitch, but they're gonna get somebody killed doing stuff like that....Makes you wonder what else they cut corners on...If ... no...when they do this , or something like this again some unsuspecting person could sling the chain off while riding in the center lane of the freeway during rush hour...Honda's contact info is in your owners' manual...you just might save someone's life by contacting them.

Reactions: jaa1958

·
Registered
501 Posts
Oh boy, do I have something to say about this topic. A clip-type master link won't get anywhere near my CBR250 ever again. Last year, on a 6,400 mile trip of the southwest, I had the chain replaced in Houston. They only had clip-type master link. I inspected the work and made sure the clip was seated and in the correct direction. When I got back to California, I happened to look down and the clip was missing. Folks here told me if everything was installed correctly and nothing hit the clip, having the clip come off is like being struck by lightning. I replaced the link with a rivet type; even invested in the tool to do it myself.

Fast forward to last month, on a 5,800 mile trip to Alaska. After riding three 110 degree F days in a row, followed by a fourth full day in rain of Biblical proportions, the chain was so stretched in Prince George, BC that I had a Honda Powerhouse dealer install a new chain. I told them I wanted rivet-type, but of course they only had clip-type. I told them my story. They were surprised, telling me that millions upon millions of clip-type master links were successfully in use around the world on this very day. Having another clip come off would be like, well, being struck by lightning twice. It just doesn't happen. They installed it, I checked the direction and proper fitment, and then was off.

Three days later, while checking into a motel the eve prior to embarking up the Columbia ice fields, I happened to glance down at the chain, as I have become paranoid about that clip. Well looky here... the clip was missing. If the guy in line ahead of me at the last motel hadn't gotten the last cabin, maybe I wouldn't have looked down at the next motel, or maybe the link would not have been visible in it's rotation, and the next day I would have tootled off into the vast ice fields in the middle of nowhere with a ticking time bomb. At the motel I removed the front sprocket cover trying to determine if there was something, anything, that could be catching on the clip. I found three-fourths of the clip, broken, sticking to the oil and muck on the bottom of the cover.

The next morning I found an equipment rental shop, and they installed another clip, but I had them tack weld the clip at four points to the pins. This time they did install the clip backwards, but it didn't matter because it was welded. From now on, I carry a spare rivet-type master link on my trips, and hope a shop has the tool to install it if I need a new chain.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I was about to create a thread on a similar issue, but this thread seemed to be relevant.

I received this chain in the mail (get it? chain-mail :p); it's a RK CHAIN 520SO-108 O-RING that was said to be "New in open box."

However, it also came assembled like this, with the connecting link inserted. My initial question is, how do I take it off so I can feed it through the bike? I'm assuming it should not have been assembled like this to begin with because I've tried gently tapping and prying it off, but it doesn't seem to want to budge.

My next question is, what kind of connecting link is this? Is this also a clip-style?

And being the 4th of July, all the shops are closed so I can't pick up another chain locally (I would prefer rivet style myself) so it doesn't look like I'm going to get to do any riding this weekend; I'm a bit irritated about that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well, I sent the seller a message, but I think at this point, I went ahead and just ordered 2 rivet-style connecting links and am planning to just ditch the clip-style so I'll probably push the pin(s) out with my RK rivet tool.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Shouldn't have come with the link assembled I wouldn't think, but if you have a rivet tool (and the pins are not flared) you should be able to use it.

Does seem odd though.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Alright, well I think I would appreciate a reliable source at this point. Getting ready to order another chain off eBay and would prefer the RK Racing Chain (520SO 108 link) accompanied with a rivet style connecting link; that isn't prematurely assembled!

Also getting tired of shopping around through endless listings, though. If anyone has a link to a listing matching this description they recently ordered and found everything to be as described, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

Put in another order for a new one (which comes with a clip-style master link but am still opting to use the rivet style when those come in). Hopefully this will be the last of the drama.

·
Super Moderator
2,033 Posts
Suggestion for tightening clip-style master links before putting on the clip:

what chain for cbr?

Reactions: ValleyOfMountains

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
(SNIP)

Put in another order for a new one (which comes with a clip-style master link but am still opting to use the rivet style when those come in). Hopefully this will be the last of the drama.
I would make sure the master links are compatible (same company). There are significant variations in chains of the same size from different manufactures.

Diameter of the pins is one of them.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts