Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to figure out (in the limited tail bag / tank bag space) what y'all consider essentials (maintenance-wise) for a slightly extended road trip (> 500 miles).

Such as:

• Tool kit (type, what do you include)
  • Tire repair kit (Slime? Fix-a-flat? Hole pluggers?)
  • Weather gear (other than typical rainsuit)?
  • etc...

In other words... what are your essential must-haves for any extended trip?

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Some people seem in the bring everything with you camp, and others seem more minimalist.

I had a tire repair kit with me, and a portable allen key holder on my trip to Athens, GA. That's about it. A cell phone can go a long way though:)

It's really up to you. I didn't really travel on any backroads though. All interstate not too far away from major cities.

My weather gear was pretty hack job. Nothing special. I had a tank bag and backpack with clothing strapped to the back.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I have a multi-tool under the seat (swiss army knife with pliers kind)
small flashlight under seat too...keep a headband led light in my tankbag as well

small tire repair kit (reamer,plugs) as well as 4 CO2 cartridges with a nozzle to air up a flat tire (2 is supposed to be enough but I wanted to be on the safe side)

I keep a cheap 2 piece neoprene rainsuit in tank bag..used to keep it rolled up under the back seat but when i would finally need it it would be ripped :(

most of the time in the really hot summer i wont even use the rain suit unless its a down pour.
I put Rain-X on my face shield....if I turn my head slightly to the left or right for a few seconds the wind rolls all the water off my shield nicely..dont really know what other weather gear you would need unless your wearing hot weather gear and ur afraid it might turn cold (or vice versa)

I figure if anything else happens to the bike...a repair is not likely gonna happen on the side of the road with this bike...so why waste time n energy carrying a comprehensive toolbox around with you..really a flat tire is the biggest worry to me..or running out of gas in the middle of nowhere..so always got the cell phone on me

·
Registered
878 Posts
Clean underwear!!!

Seriously.....cell phone and credit card.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I borrowed my friend's hydration bladder and put it in my tank bag. Worked out great! I am going to get one of my own now that fits in better.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Mobile phone and a wallet.
These are probably the most important. Have some cash just in case there's a problem with your credit card and in case you find yourself somewhere that doesn't take cards.

Other than that:
-Tire repair kit and way of inflating a tire.
-Rain gear, cold weather gear no matter the forecast.

For a ride ~500 miles I wouldn't worry about carrying too many tools. Maybe just some allen wrenches, a multi-tool, tape, zip ties, whatever else fits under the seat.

·
Registered
72 Posts
iPhone, debit card, some cash. At night, I include a small penlight.

That's for fun rides in the urban wasteland. When using it as transportation, I've taken backpack with laptop and other gear I need. Considering getting a tank bag.

Just under 500 miles now on my 2012.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
389 Posts
Redbull (it gives you wings) and water, must have water....

·
Registered
26 Posts
Water
Snacks
Weather protection (poncho, rain lining, warm gloves etc.)
Honda provided toolkit
Puncture repair kit (not very often)
Mobile phone
MP3 player and earbuds
Wallet with cash (not just cards)

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Clean underpants.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Could always just freeball instead.

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
Let's just take a cue from the helmet thread and ride naked. Just take keys and self to bike. Start bike and go. Total freedom....no packing required.:D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Some people seem in the bring everything with you camp, and others seem more minimalist.

I had a tire repair kit with me, and a portable allen key holder on my trip to Athens, GA. That's about it. A cell phone can go a long way though:)

It's really up to you. I didn't really travel on any backroads though. All interstate not too far away from major cities.

My weather gear was pretty hack job. Nothing special. I had a tank bag and backpack with clothing strapped to the back.
Do you have a recommendation for a portable tubeless tire repair kit? e.g. amazon?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts