Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone else ride on the highway and if so how does your bike do at 80?
I bought my cbr250 in November and rode it around town some yesterday was the first nice day to take it on a trip. 80mi each way half interstate, half two lane. On two lane roads and in town the bike is great...on the interstate however it's a pig. The speed limit here is 70mph traffic regularly flows around 80. To hold 80 I have to be fully tucked down with the throttle wide open or maybe 95% wide open the entire time, I am at around 8500rpm also
Now I'm know some people are going to say "you don't have to go that fast" true but where I live is VERY mountainous and the last thing I want is to be the hood ornament on a tractor trailer that's going down hill 15-20mph faster than me. I got caught in a situation where I was stuck next to one and the best option was to pass...I was fully tucked going downhill and had the throttle wide open for about half a mile and the best I could muster was 92mph. It took me about 15-20 seconds to pass the truck which was way too much time in the "death zone" for me. Felt like an hour
Anyone think +1 front gearing would help the poor highway performance it seems like it runs out of steam over 9k. Or is my best option a more powerful bike? I get 71mpg in town but only 62mpg when I ride on the highway due to being at over 90% throttle the entire time. I'm 5'10" and about 170lbs with my gear on

·
Registered
455 Posts
There is a reason I Have 2 bikes listed in my signature.
I can hit 94 on my cbr on interstate. thats plenty fast. takes a while to get there though.
get a 600..

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Anyone think +1 front gearing would help the poor highway performance it seems like it runs out of steam over 9k. Or is my best option a more powerful bike? I get 71mpg in town but only 62mpg when I ride on the highway due to being at over 90% throttle the entire time.
Longer gearing will help the fuel economy at 80 mph but won't help the lack of power. A loud exhaust will give you an extra 8% hp with a big peak at 8,700.
Where do you ride that big trucks will pass you at 80 mph?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I-79 and I-68 are the main two I ride. Very hilly 70mph speed limit so most vehicles do around 80. The marcellus shale industry is booming here so there are all kinds of large trucks zooming around trying to hit their quota's

·
Registered
127 Posts
I've only got 170 miles on mine, and I would say it's a great bike for cruising at 65mph or less. Can you go 70 or more? Yes, but it often requires a tuck. I love the bike, but not one I'd pick for extended highway travel. Someday I'll add a V-Strom 650.

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
I've only got 170 miles on mine, and I would say it's a great bike for cruising at 65mph or less. Can you go 70 or more? Yes, but it often requires a tuck. I love the bike, but not one I'd pick for extended highway travel. Someday I'll add a V-Strom 650.
+1 on the V-Strom.This will be on the top of my list when I look to add another bigger bike in a few years for longer trips with passenger and alot of freeway riding... @4500 miles on mine I feel I now have much more power than I did the first 1000.

The best I can muster on mine so far wide open throttle is 87mph untucked on a flat stretch...thats more than enough to pass traveling on I-40 here that has a 65-70mph speed limit

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At 65 or less this bike is a blast very fun and has adequate power. If people drove at 65-70 here I would be satisfied but with the hills a full tuck is required for anything over 70 uphill and anything around 80 the bike gets blown around a lot by other vehicles. Untucked on a flat stretch wide open for about a mile I got to 81 but the wind blows the bike around quite a bit at that speed. it just seems like running that high in the rpm's (8000-9000) for 40-50 miles would be hard on the motor so I probably won't be taking it on trips anymore. I really don't have a place to put two bikes so I'm thinking a 2012 ninja 650 can do what I need. 50mpg and better highway manners while being civil in town and fun in the twisties

·
Registered
879 Posts
Have to agree the big road is no place for the little 250. I have two other bikes I use for that. The 250 is just for back roads and around town. I like to keep it at 65 or less

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Wow 95mph trucks? ours are speed limited to 62mph.
cbr can still pass them, dont be scared to rev it. It will sit on 9500-10000 for hours on end.
When you have to pass a fast vehicle.. hang back then get a run up.. too easy.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Are speed limit is 70 mph on the freeway. My bike only has 180 miles on it. Took it on the freeway for the first time Sunday, Im really happy with how fast it got to the speed limit. It handled great at 75, Had enought power to pass other cars. Im really impressed with the 250cc motor, was smooth & no vibrations. as for people getting on my a--. I activate my brake lights to let them im in front of them. i do the speed limit, I dont want no tickets. They can go around, thats what the left lane is for. I'm so happy with freeway ride planning on trip around the lake this summer. 25mph twistys to 65 straights. about 130 miles:D

·
Registered
12 Posts
92 mph that is fast I would hesitate to go that fast in my car 22mph over is a huge fine if your interstate speed limit is 70mph 75-80 is plenty fast stay in the right lane and let theme pass.

·
Registered
4,996 Posts
Is the transport indusrty not policed in the USA?

What is the speed limit for trucks?

·
Registered
404 Posts
Is the transport indusrty not policed in the USA?

What is the speed limit for trucks?
Speed limits are between 55 and 75. Limits and level of speed enforcement vary from state to state...in/out of metro areas, etc..

·
Registered
1,551 Posts
I guess if i stayed in the left lane only and passed everyone I would need to go 92.

Even on roads where traffic flow is 'around' 80, the most I ever need to go is 75. Passing trucks is pretty simple at least I have found it..even on more hilly interstate roads. They may be going faster but not enough to warrant going over 80mph.

I would not want a speeding ticket going over 80 in a 65.

Going fast makes gas mileage drop and just seems pointless to me. Even the people going 80 aren't averaging that..they just run up people's asses until they move over to the right lane and keep going. But they end up actually slowing down, so in reality all they do is waste gas.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Does anyone else ride on the highway and if so how does your bike do at 80?
I bought my cbr250 in November and rode it around town some yesterday was the first nice day to take it on a trip. 80mi each way half interstate, half two lane. On two lane roads and in town the bike is great...on the interstate however it's a pig. The speed limit here is 70mph traffic regularly flows around 80. To hold 80 I have to be fully tucked down with the throttle wide open or maybe 95% wide open the entire time, I am at around 8500rpm also
Now I'm know some people are going to say "you don't have to go that fast" true but where I live is VERY mountainous and the last thing I want is to be the hood ornament on a tractor trailer that's going down hill 15-20mph faster than me. I got caught in a situation where I was stuck next to one and the best option was to pass...I was fully tucked going downhill and had the throttle wide open for about half a mile and the best I could muster was 92mph. It took me about 15-20 seconds to pass the truck which was way too much time in the "death zone" for me. Felt like an hour
Anyone think +1 front gearing would help the poor highway performance it seems like it runs out of steam over 9k. Or is my best option a more powerful bike? I get 71mpg in town but only 62mpg when I ride on the highway due to being at over 90% throttle the entire time. I'm 5'10" and about 170lbs with my gear on

Mountainous area? 80MPH? You bought the wrong bike. This bike has the best combination of performance, price, and economy for a 250CC bike, but it is ultimately a 250. Maybe go get a 400, 500, or 600. Remember to start with your requirements and work backwards.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts