Honda CBR 250 Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nice and fast, but not a huge fan of the very upright (even more upright then our bikes) riding position. Feels like a sport tourer. I tried to see if I could tuck naturally and the answer is a no. Was kinda surprised the seat felt lower than the 250.

The hunt continues for the next ride....

·
Registered
724 Posts
Nice and fast, but not a huge fan of the very upright (even more upright then our bikes) riding position. Feels like a sport tourer. I tried to see if I could tuck naturally and the answer is a no. Was kinda surprised the seat felt lower than the 250.

The hunt continues for the next ride....
Its probably similar to the FZ6R I tried. I thought it was not fun, felt heavy and big and wasnt anything to write home about. Next weekend is my local Suzuki Dealer's demo days. GSXRs here I come!

·
Registered
350 Posts
Funny... the only thing I *liked* about the FZ6R was the more upright position, when I demo'd it...

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
I bought a 2007 Ninja650 for my son and have been riding it quite a bit. He is 6'1, 280 lbs. so he's a little too big for the CBR250R. I like the Ninja650 as a commuter for anyone that is too big for the CBR. The engine has a very flat power band. The air is nice and clean over the front of the bike. It is fuel injected and much cheaper and better on gas than a 600. I did a tank with full on hypermiling at 68 mph and got 65.5 mpgUS. Most guys on fuelly get around 50 though. The fuel injection works perfect. I started it up and rode away on a cold 22F morning with no hesitation. If I were going to ride it I would change the bars to something lower but tall commuters will like the high bars. I am looking for a plus 1" seat as my son is a little cramped by the high pegs. I would also go +1 front and -3 teeth on the rear sprocket as the engine pulls hard right off of 2,500 rpm which would probably put this bike over 70 mpg occasionally. The 07 is a bit vibey and rattles the plastic but Kawasaki has put some effort into refining this model with two major upgrades in 2009 and again this year for the 2012 model. It rains all the time where I live so I appreciate the functional body work. Of all the bikes out there, I consider the Ninja 650 to be the next best deal for riders that are too big and heavy for the CBR250R.

·
Banned
834 Posts
Cbr600rr....is where it's at.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
I bought a 2007 Ninja650 for my son and have been riding it quite a bit. He is 6'1, 280 lbs. so he's a little too big for the CBR250R. I like the Ninja650 as a commuter for anyone that is too big for the CBR. The engine has a very flat power band. The air is nice and clean over the front of the bike. It is fuel injected and much cheaper and better on gas than a 600. I did a tank with full on hypermiling at 68 mph and got 65.5 mpgUS. Most guys on fuelly get around 50 though. The fuel injection works perfect. I started it up and rode away on a cold 22F morning with no hesitation. If I were going to ride it I would change the bars to something lower but tall commuters will like the high bars. I am looking for a plus 1" seat as my son is a little cramped by the high pegs. I would also go +1 front and -3 teeth on the rear sprocket as the engine pulls hard right off of 2,500 rpm which would probably put this bike over 70 mpg occasionally. The 07 is a bit vibey and rattles the plastic but Kawasaki has put some effort into refining this model with two major upgrades in 2009 and again this year for the 2012 model. It rains all the time where I live so I appreciate the functional body work. Of all the bikes out there, I consider the Ninja 650 to be the next best deal for riders that are too big and heavy for the CBR250R.
This hit the nail directly on the head, IMO. Excellent comparison.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Cbr600rr....is where it's at.
As an owner of a CBR600RR, I'm gonna go ahead and say.. not really. For the occasional joy ride, maybe. On the track, heck yeah. For commuting and daily riding? ...no.

After I get some loans paid off (some day..) I'm going to be looking hard at some BMWs.

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
Thanks for making my life more difficult Sendler. The only thing that is giving me pause on the CBR250R is a 650 twin.
A 250 is a compromise for price, lightness when you yank it in and out of the garage, and fuel economy. If you are not willing to work with the bike to get the most out of it you will think it is slow on the highway (won't out run non use of the mirrors like a more powerful bike) and get blown around easier if you refuse to tuck. The Ninja650 is heavier and has more power but can't get within 70% of the fuel economy of the Honda 250. Super Sport 600's cost a lot more to buy and insure and only get 40 mpg and have no option for an upright riding position in stop and go traffic and have ridiculously high pegs for casual use.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What kind of fuel economy do you get? Ever had anyone try to steal it?
About 40mpg and no, but I essentially only ever park it at work or at home. Other than commuting, all I do with it is take it up in the hills for a few hours and come home. Anything more than that and I take my cruiser.

edit for clarity: it's garaged at home and I work at a power plant where you have to have security clearance to get within 3 miles of where I park.

·
Registered
329 Posts
When I bought the cbr250 I thought that my girlfriend would not ride so often with me.
Now, after a couple of trips within Sicily, she seems addicted.

Sendler's words are very smart, sincere.
I will strongly consider that one if I'd need to trade the CBR.
Must be said that here in Italy, there is no Ninja650: the bike is named Er6-F

·
Registered
350 Posts
When I bought the cbr250 I thought that my girlfriend would not ride so often with me.
Now, after a couple of trips within Sicily, she seems addicted.

Sendler's words are very smart, sincere.
I will strongly consider that one if I'd need to trade the CBR.
Must be said that here in Italy, there is no Ninja650: the bike is named Er6-F
You also have the Kawi ER6-N, which is a *beautiful* version (naked bike). I believe that would do well, here, among the V-Strom, and G650GS crowd...

·
Registered
3,527 Posts
About 40mpg and no, but I essentially only ever park it at work or at home. Other than commuting, all I do with it is take it up in the hills for a few hours and come home. Anything more than that and I take my cruiser.

edit for clarity: it's garaged at home and I work at a power plant where you have to have security clearance to get within 3 miles of where I park.
Glad to hear your bike is under wraps most of the time. The CBR600RR is one of the most often stolen bikes. They will pay a finder's fee to any jamoke, ride in from out of town, and ride away on it in 30 seconds from right in front of the cameras at WalMart.

·
Registered
329 Posts
But, honestly, I don't like the N version. I really can't stand the headlight.
Same for the Versys, that I really appreciate for basically everything else.
I see too many GS (here 1200 are sold like icecreams and still can't figure out why)
so I could likely find a very good deal for a used 650 or a newer 800, but I am still afraid
about expensive manteinance (BMW is BMW, is a german DUCATI).

I am still too much in love with CBR's fuel economy.
The astonishing thing my girl told me this morning was:
"I'll learn to ride this one, so we can sell the SH125 and buy a bigger bike to go touring"

Then I think I'll marry her.

·
Registered
3,789 Posts
You also have the Kawi ER6-N, which is a *beautiful* version (naked bike). I believe that would do well, here, among the V-Strom, and G650GS crowd...

I've ridden one of these, cracking little bike. Pulls really well from low down, very chuckable around corners sounds great with the standard exhaust, and not too bad on fuel consumption. A great fun bike to ride. I think I'd prefer the faired version though.

·
Registered
206 Posts

OT I know but.
I work at a power plant back here in the states. Its nice not having to worry about my bike. I even keep my keys in my tail bag so I dont have to worry about playing with them in the detectors.

·
Registered
504 Posts
This will be my next bike. Great bike for the price.

·
Registered
350 Posts
My next bike... (assuming they ever bring it to the U.S.)

Can you "name that bike?":

1 - 20 of 80 Posts