Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Honda: INNOVA125i(2010); CBR250R(2013)
851 Posts
How many of you are still using Rotella T5 for oil changes?
You need a semi-synthetic oil, with a characteristic that is special for motorcycles: JASO MA2 standard. Oil for normal four-stroke engines will NOT fit, because it damages the clutch of CBR250R.
In our motorcycle, the engine oil is also the gear oil.
10W-40? OR 10W-30?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Use Rotella T6, has proper JASO MA2 rating.

While auto-oil may seem "to work" just fine, most people won't keep their bike long enough to see difference in wear between using auto vs moto oils. There IS a difference in longevity of engines, transmission & clutches.

Of particular concern is transmission gears, which do not enjoy pressurised oil-feed floating contact areas apart, there is actual metal to metal contact. Seperate hypoid gear-oils used in auto tranamissions have high levels of EP/ET - extreme pressure/extreme-temperature additives (primarily ZDDP - zinc/phosphoros). Moto oils are also fortified with higher levels of these additives for transmission in bikes.

Honda has finally gotten out of cave with their ancient GN4 oil and is using newer semi/full-synthetic API SL or higher oils on 2022+ bikes. :)

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
All Rotella multi-grade oils (except "Multi Vehicle 5W-30) use the same additive package. T6 is certified as JASO MA2, but the others are (like T-5) are safe as well.

The issue with standard auto oil is the lack of enough ZDDP (Zinc and Phosphorus) to safely protect the cams in certain situations. Rotella, and most diesel oils, have safe amounts.

The new Rotella Multi Vehicle 5W-30 does not have adequate levels, and should not be used in cycle engines. It's basically an auto oil.

The issue with wet clutch comes from the additives in oil with the "Energy Conserving" label, but that is only auto oil in the 30-grade and under rating. The bigger issue with those oils are the lack of proper amounts of additives.

Basically, don't use any auto oil in a cycle engine.

·
Registered
851 Posts
ive been using T6 since i got the bike at 1,000 miles and i'm currently at 170,500 miles. changing every 5,000 miles. i take my bike in for valve checks and the techs are surprised that it's lasted this long haha
T6 YES - LINK
T5 NO - LINK
The T6 is also fully synthetic, but more importantly, it is JASO MA2 compliant. It is important to check that the oil complies with the mandatory standard for motorcycles (MA2).
Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Number
Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Handwriting

• Helpful
Reactions: Mory

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
T6 YES - LINK
T5 NO - LINK
The T6 is also fully synthetic, but more importantly, it is JASO MA2 compliant. It is important to check that the oil complies with the mandatory standard for motorcycles (MA2).
View attachment 45620 View attachment 45619
T5 is still safe for a cycle engine.

A Shell Technical Rep told me all multigrade Rotella oils (excep the new 5W-30) have the same additve package.

They just didn't jump through the hoops to get it certified with the latest rating.

T5 synthetic blend is a much better oil than the standard GN4 that has been used for years.

·
Registered
851 Posts
T5 is still safe for a cycle engine.
A Shell Technical Rep told me all multigrade Rotella oils (excep the new 5W-30) have the same additve package.
They just didn't jump through the hoops to get it certified with the latest rating.
T5 synthetic blend is a much better oil than the standard GN4 that has been used for years.
There is no debate about the SHELL quality, only that T5 is NOT of the right standard. Of course, there will be oils worse than it, but those with the right standard (JASO MA2) should always be preferred. The GN4(JASO MA) that Honda WAS promoting has the right standard. I don't see any reason to use an oil, no matter how high quality, if it doesn't have the required standard mark.

P.S. jky357 I'm guessing your information is correct, but I've always preferred to trust the official manufacturer's spec sheet. According tם SHELL DATA SHEET T5 doesn't meet the standard.
Rectangle Font Parallel Magenta Number
Liquid Communication Device Fluid Gadget Portable communications device

• Helpful
Reactions: Mory
1 - 10 of 10 Posts