Honda CBR 250 Forum banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
I am a newer rider but do you guys truly feel that one must change the oil more frequently than every 3000 miles?

Because this is the first I hear about that. I had been following the Owners Manual schedule. If anything I thought that in general the Owners Manual is "overly cautious" in their maintenance intervals.

How about 2500 mile oil changes?
The user manual says that you should change the oil every 8.000miles / 12.000km. That's what I do and no issues at all at ~35.000km. But I don't rev the bike much so if you're going in a more sporty way you might want to reduce that interval, just to be safe.

·
Premium Member
2,049 Posts
I want to thank jkv357 for rebate link. With Amazon's before Xmas free shipping and the Shell rebate, the gallon of oil cost under $12 after my state sales tax.

:grin2:

·
Registered
54 Posts
The user manual says that you should change the oil every 8.000miles / 12.000km. That's what I do and no issues at all at ~35.000km. But I don't rev the bike much so if you're going in a more sporty way you might want to reduce that interval, just to be safe.
Thank you for that. I got mixed up thinking about my old scooter with 3000 mile oil changes. In this case I think I will stick to 1 year oil changes because I doubt i will hit 8000 miles inside 1 year. I put about 500 miles per month as a commuter bike.

I also keep the revs down, usually upshifting at 5000 rpm and keep in under 80 mph on the highway.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
Please tell me the answer to this question: Kroil Vs. PB Blaster Vs. WD-40: Find The Best Penetrating Oil? Using a product that is not suitable for your vehicle will result in increased engine wear. This means that it can fail quite quickly, and this is fraught with long and expensive repairs.
I've used nothing but PB Blaster since the first time I tried it and it recently demonstrated it's superiority when I replaced the exhaust manifold and flex pipe in my 13 year old car. While nothing but heat and an impact wrench (or just cutting them) will loosen 13 year old muffler gasket bolts, I'm pretty sure PB Blaster saved me from breaking any of the manifold bolts and it definitely saved me a lot of potential grief. WD-40 isn't really a penetrating oil, but it is great for displacing water. They've been coming out with a lot of new specialty sprays lately that are top-notch. I've tried WD-40's silicone and contact cleaner sprays and they are among the best available. Now that they also have a spray specifically branded for use as a penetrating oil I may just have to try it.

·
Registered
Honda CBR250RA 2012
10 Posts
Anyone use this oil? I kind of remembering someone posting they thought this stuff was a better brand. I have previous used Mobil 1 10w-40 motorcycle oil with no problems, of course. But I could spare the extra $10 to experiment. Anyone have any preferences?

Here is the link to the stuff...
https://www.amazon.com/Royal-Purple...id=1526348622&sr=1-13&keywords=motorcycle+oil
I'm currently using Nulon race formula with friction modifiers. It made a positive effect to gear shifting.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts